“Safe, Great Beach, Gorgeous Property, Close to Santo Domingo”

Coral Costa Caribe Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Juan Dolio
Kings Park, New York
“Safe, Great Beach, Gorgeous Property, Close to Santo Domingo”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2012

This resort was quite lovely. The building and grounds were immaculate. The beach was wide and sweeping; plenty of free lounge chairs. Some vendors selling stuff on the beach; but not bothersome. The pool was gorgeous and all the restaurants were lovely. The food and the selection were great. (I’ve been to Dreams and Club Med and definitely the food was equivalent). I was with my daughter, and as always traveling to a developing country, I was concerned about safety. The resort is gated and I felt it was perfectly suited for children. I always felt quite secure. It was a real mix of families, couples, etc.
This resort was quite inexpensive, considering it was all-inclusive and especially compared to Punta Cana. It was less than a half-hour from the airport in Santo Domingo. A LOT easier to get to than Punta Cana. There were plenty of activities and excursions available. We went to Santo Domingo, whale watching in Samana (about 2 ½ hours away and HIGHLY recommended Jan-Mar) and also scuba diving from the resort (great instructor on site). The excursions were reasonably priced. The resort had free snorkeling, kayaks, wind sailing. Casino and three a-la-carte restaurants (Mexican Dominican and Italian) in addition to a wonderful buffet every day.
We found there were a lot more Europeans than Americans at the resort; which was great.
The rooms were okay; nothing great; nothing horrible. The only thing that would bother a higher end customer is there was very little water pressure (which is typical of this area).
For someone on a budget, who wants easy access to the very historic Santo Domingo and the airport, this is a great option. This was definitely a gorgeous beach resort; perfect for young couples, older couples, families who don’t want to spend $400 night and/or travel all the way to Punta Cana.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank KristenM48001

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Garfield, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2012

I recently stayed at Costa Caribe with my boyfriend and had a great time. This hotel is not located in a touristy section of DR so if thats what you're looking for go to Punta Cana. The food/drinks were delish and the nightly shows were quite entertaining. We had fun but also relaxed alot. I would definitely go back.

• Stayed March 2012
7 Thank Sabbie380
Montclair
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

This was by far the worst hotel my family and I have ever stayed. In our first room, the phone didn't work, the toilet didn't flush, the bed was short-sheeted, we had no blanket on the bed, the room was dirty, and the air conditioner didn't work. Our second room was not much better. We never had a hot shower. Our daughters' first room was also dirty and the door jamb looked as though a crowbar had been taken to it numerous times. They had to move to another room, too. Their replacement room wasn't much better.

The hotel is old, dirty, and in extreme disrepair. Driving in off the highway, the grounds were well manicured and pretty which gave us the illusion that it was a nice hotel. There is no management to speak of at the hotel, so trying to find someone to help is very frustrating. The food was adequate but nothing that would attract anyone from outside the grounds to their restaurants. Don't eat at the snack bar. The beach was beautiful but getting towels was nearly impossible.

Do all you can to find another hotel. Traveling to this "resort" will only disappoint you.

Room Tip: I doubt that there is any way to know what rooms are "good." We saw four of them in two di...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Mark29_12

Travellers are raving about these Juan Dolio hotels

Miramar, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2012

BE AWARE!!!!!!! I have no words to explain the worst vacation and experience in my life. It the first time I tried expedia and with this hotel experience I doubt to book again with expedia. I don’t even know where to start. In this hotel when you raise a complain about the room or service the hotel staff would laugh at your face or just recite a training line of “ we apologize and we will see what we can do” and they would not do anything at all. First night we waited three hours for check-in, air condition unit did not work full of mosquitoes, second day they had to fumigate because there was to many mosquitoes ( please tell me what hotel have you gone to that needs to be fumigated when guest are in room) and the same they the power went off. I had to call several times for them to pay some type of attention and solve these issues. My key to the room stop working at least three times a day. The toilet will stay stuck, no hot water, there was rust everywhere. I found a zip block bag dated since January of another guest (obviously you can see that they don’t clean much). There were no towels accessible (they were always being washed), pool was dirty, and food was old/soggy and full of bugs around the food. There was a cat running around the dining room. Need not say more...very disappointed and no manager came out to talk with me (they will always tell me he was unavailable). I have many pictures to prove all this I am describing.

Room Tip: No rooms are good
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank Patricia G
North East, Maryland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2012

Stayed 16-20 Feb 2012. Wasn't expecting much based on other's reviews, and that's about what this place is....not much. My goal for the trip was a few days on a warm sunny beach. That I got, the beach is pretty, clean, fairly warm blue water and shady palm trees. Even with that, I wouldn't go back there again. The room was clean, however.. beds super hard, pillows useless, linen torn, air conditoner nosy and barely cooling, bathroom tlles/grout crumbling, ceiling fan wobbly, water pressure lousy, water barely warm. Tried to change rooms every day, and always told nothing was available. The fitness center was depressing. Many machines didn't have power, and the weight machines needed maintenance.
The drinks were okay, when the had the ingredients at the bars. The food was edible, but certainly not great, and not up to the stands I've experienced at every other 3 or 4 star resort.. Service in the restaurants was awful, not because the staff was bad...they were friendly, but there weren't enough of them to handle the crowds, and the kitchen staff couldn't keep clean plates, cups, spoons supplied at the buffets.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Corey S
Hilton Head, South Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

I was nervous about staying at this resort because of the reviews on here, but we were on a budget and decided to take a chance. The resort was a lot better than I expected. The following will cover a couple of different areas.

Check-in is at 3:00. We arrived at 3:10 and our room wasn't ready. They told us to come back in 1/2 hour so we walked around the property and found everything that was on the map given to us. We went back to the front desk and was told that our room still wasn't ready. We went to the outdoor grill area and had a snack - they had hotdogs, hamburgers, pizza, chicken and fries. Nothing special but nice to have in the afternoon. They are also open late at night too. We went back to the front desk at 5:00 and our room was finally ready. We did notice a sign that said check-out is at 1:00, so I think this is why they are unable to check people in on time. They are leaving too short of a time to clean rooms.

Our room was actually ok. We were on the top floor of the building just across the parking lot for the casino. It was quiet, the elevator worked and we were close enough to everything. Our air conditioning worked great - we even got cold during the night. We only saw one tiny ant but we know to expect bugs in tropical climates. The room was a bit outdated and wasn't the cleanest in the world, but was ok enough for us. The bedspread had patches on it when it should have been replaced. We only had two very thin pillows. The bed was queen sized when we had asked for a king but i have been to other places where versions of a king sized bed is smaller than US standards - it was a thin, hard mattress but we didn't have a problrm sleeping on it. We asked for two extras pillows several times but never got them. There was a safe in the room but you had to rent a key for it at the front desk which wasn't explained at any point during check-in. It was $3.50 per day. The biggest problem was that our shower spigot fell out of the wall. To take showers, we held it up it to the wall and lifted the lever to turn it on. The water came out of the shower head then and the pressure was pretty good. NOTE: For energy saving purposes, they shut off the hot water during the day, which is when the majority of the guests are at the beach or pool or are on excursions. The hot water was turned on by the time we were ready to take showers at 6:00 or later and the water was plenty hot and didn't run out with two of us taking back to back showers. Some of the bath and beach towels were pretty worn out, but they were clean.

I am a picky eater and found the food to be acceptable. There were meat, vegetable, fruit, side, salad, soup, bread, dessert and ice cream options at the buffet. We only went to one of the specialty restaurants, the Italian one, and it was also good - nothing fancy but good.

About 3:00 every afternoon, vendors selling art, jewelry, cigars and other items set up for the day. They were not pushy but would start to talk to you if you stopped to look at their items. There were also some locals trying to sell items on the beach, but a simple shake of the head no seemed to keep most away. They also were not pushy.

The beach was beautiful. They do a good job of keeping it clean. It you walk along the beach away from the property, there is a lot of garbage. There were plenty of beach chairs but some had very stretched out fabric and were very uncomfortable. This resort also has a time share section and they get a special section of beach with different, newer beach chairs. The resort needs to think about buying more of the newer chairs for the regular guests. I never saw a staff member coming by for drink orders. Once, I went to the bar for water and was given a tiny glass, so I just bought bottles of water from their gift shop at $1 each to take to the beach with me.

The nightly entertainment was so-so. I've been to other places that put on great shows, but the shows were mediocre here. I still recommend going though, especially if you have never been to a resort like this. There is a sports bar on the property which was nice and a nightclub that was busy on the nights we went.

WARNING: There is a casino on the property that is not owned by the resort even thought it is on the property. Be very careful of being approached to try a new game that they call some kind of a variation of roulette. They give you free chips to start the game, then you play with your own money. This game involves dropping 8 balls into a wooden round thing with holes numbered 1-6. They add up the numbers and the total will correspond to numbers on a board. They miscount the numbers and jiggle the wooden thing to get the numbers they want you to get. This is a complete scam. It is similar to Razzle Dazzle - look it up online. I fell for this scam and lost a lot of money. At the mention of free chips for a new game RUN AWAY.

MANAGEMENT: I own a company that rents vacation condos and homes. My suggestions to the management: you may want to change your check-out time to 12:00 or your check-in time to 4:00. Two hours is not enought time for a turn around. There were a lot of unhappy guests waiting to get into their rooms. Have your staff explain the lock for the safe being an additional charge at check-in instead of getting an hour of calls about it later. While I was paying for mine, the gut behind the desk had six calls about locks. Invest in more beach and bath towels so that they don't run out - you should always have extras. Same with pillows - it would be a good idea to have two extra pillows in each room for those who like having extra pillows. Also, have all staff greet every guest the walk by with a simple "Hi, good day/night" in Spanish. It makes the guests feel special. None of the staff seemed very friendly unless you were dealing with them on a particular matter. Also, make wine by the glass a part of every bar and restaurant. I had to buy a bottle of wine at one point because it wasn't available by the glass - there are a lot of wine drinkers out there. A cheap red and white option would go a long way. New beach chairs would also make a great improvement.

GUESTS: This is a very affordable place to stay. Bring a swimsuit in your carry on luggage and you can relax on vthe beach until your room is ready. I felt it is was worth the money.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the propery were quiet. My 4th floor room was ok - no bugs. Some rooms are smo...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank kimmiller112
Queens, ny
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

First I want to say that I all I wanted out of this vacation was a clean room, with things that work in it, a decent resort, a beautiful beach/pool and something to do at night. Our room was booked for Sunday Feb19-Thurs Feb 23, 2012. I have to say the beach was gorgeous, and the pools were very nice. Before we even flew out to DR I called sunday morning Feb19th to confirm our reservation for that same day & to confirm that they know we will be a late check in since our flight gets in at 2am, yes no problem I was told. Fast forward to 2am we get to the resort to find out they over booked the resort and they have no rooms (this was told to us after standing at the front desk for 20mins, with the man at the front desk shaking his head saying not good but not telling us why) Then they sent us to a hotel down the street for the night and told us to come back between 8am-10am and we'll have a room. Okay thats fine we'll spend one night somewhere else. This “hotel” was horrible, it smelled musty, the room was dirty, there were no light bulbs in the lamps! I went to put the chain on the door and it was broken! Okay we said its just ONE night.

9Am we call Costa Caribe to take us back (we waited 45mins, when they are 5mins down the road) we get there at almost 10am, and they tell us there are no rooms. The girl at the desk tells us to go enjoy some breakfast and our room will be ready. We come back after breakfast, no room. 11Am no room, 12pm no room. At this point we found a spot on the beach & TRIED to relax. I go back again and was told they are waiting for the supervisor, he'll be back in 15mins... after 45mins of waiting I went back to the beach. We ate lunch and then went back again, its after 2pm at this point. The supervisor is there and he tells us will forget all about last night, he just needs to finish with the people he's helping. Finally he hears our situation, gives us a room and after we asked for compensation he offers us 1 night free or a 1hour massage. We agree to one night free, I go on to explain that I also want a late check-out on Thurs because the whole point of having a reservation for sunday was so we didn't want to wait around for a room monday morning since we knew we'd have to wait around Thurs after checkout. He said no problem, 1 night free and late check out.

We then go to our room, at first glance it seems nice, nice clean bed, bedroom floors are clean, little patio outside with partial ocean view. Then we go into the bathroom. The floor is filthy, the toilet was running water 24/7(we had to shut the bathroom door at night to sleep) and the toilet didn't flush properly, we'd have to flush 2-3times to get a lil tissue to go down and to top it off there was a hole in the bathtub. (Room S103 by the way) We agreed we'll deal with it, thankful we have a room at least. We go to bed that night, and there are mosquitoes, buzzing in our ear & biting us. After a 20min game of kill the mosquitoes(we killed 8), we go back to sleep and there are more!! They're in the bathroom & in the closet. We were getting more bites in our room than outside!! Again we decided to deal with it, I don't why..we should have complained again.

We spent as much time on the beach as possible. The beach was sooo nice and relaxing, the water was gorgeous. I've been to other parts of DR before, I know there are pedlars on the beach, but here there are swarms! Unless you're sleeping they will try to sell you anything from massages to braided hair to donkey rides. Day one & Day two it was fine, by day three it gets really annoying.
Now lets get to checkout, they honored the late check out which was perfect we had our room til 7pm, left our luggage with the bellboy and ate dinner before we went to the airport. When we checked out the lady had no idea we're suppose to get one night free. Thats something the supervisor has to approve, she says. He did a approve it on monday! She tells me today is his day off and there is nothing she can do. Lovely. Well there's nothing I could do either, we had to get to the airport for our flight.

On other things, all other staff there were very friendly... we just learned that "Uno momento" here meant waiting for 20mins or so. The restaurant food was good, especially the Dominican restaurant, the seabass was delicious ...the buffet not so much... breakfast had good omelets, there's a guy who made them fresh with your choice of cheese, tomatoes, onions, ham & green pepper. The muffins were good too. Don't even touch the deli meats, omg so bad. and the burgers, were cold and im not sure if it was real beef. The snack bar was a savior, they had fries & pizza during the day. There are bars all over during the day, the drinks are good & strong. There is a show at night, its mostly dancing and we were bored of it by the 2nd night. After the show the only things open are the Disco ( which had a max of 5 or 6 people in there) or the Casino where its a lot older people and so much smoking that i couldn't breathe. Overall just a disappointing experience, i wasn't as much angry as sad... the beach was the only thing that saved this trip!

Room Tip: Do not get room S103! broken toilet, hole in the tub & mosquitoes in the room... It seemed like...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
21.2 km away
Don Juan Beach Resort
Don Juan Beach Resort
#8 of 18 in Boca Chica

Been to Coral Costa Caribe Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!