“Spectacular dinner in cupola on the ocean--Honeymoon or Romantic Getaway”

Piergiorgio Palace Hotel
Ranked #9 of 30 Hotels in Sosua
Reviewed 28 May 2011

I stayed at piergiorgio for a business trip, but I was struck by how romantic and unique the place was, the kind of place I would have wanted for my honeymoon. It reminds me of greece, but also has a southern plantation style, so maybe greek revival.

You enter through am open white marble piazzo with view of the ocean. There were almost no guests here at the end of May, so there was no wait and the front desk has nothing to do but offer assistance. The rooms are of the oldtime variety with actual keys, wicker furniture, tile floors, and french doors with small wrought iron balconies. They are air conditioned, but nothing fancy. I had some trouble finding a compatible EIectrical outlet for my computer ( bring a 3-prong adapter). But there is free WI-F! The beds are very firm yet surprisingly comfortable. Not luxurious, though, if that's your thing. I did not drink the tap water here, but there were bottled waters in the fridge. There is an old supremely out-of-tune piano in the lobby that someone was playing last night that gave it a Casablanca feel.

The thing that strikes me is the unsurpassed landscape and surroundings (see photos attached.) you could have dinner at a linen covered table in a cupola on the ocean watching the sunset over the caribbean. Attentive service. I cannot speak for the food, as I did not eat here. At sunset you can observe the lights of the yachts anchored nearby.

I cannot say too much about the nightlife here. Reminds me of Key West only a little seedier. But for spectacular sun-filled surroundings in a unique but classic setting, this is the place.

It is cheap-about 60-70 Usd and I don't know why. Perhaps because We are off season (end of may). No one is here!! I had the swimming pool to myself.

Room Tip: ask to have dinner in cupola
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
5  Thank Heather M
There are newer reviews for Piergiorgio Palace Hotel

Reviewed 7 April 2010

This is an exceptional place to stay in Sosua. It is on a bluff overlooking azure waters. The rooms have spectacular views, as does the restaurant. The spiral staircase is gorgeous. It is about a 5 minute walk into town and perhaps a 10 minute walk to the beach.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled with friends
1  Thank dnpinva
Reviewed 26 January 2010

my wife and me stayed at this hotel in january and this is a beautiful hotel with stunning views of the ocean.we booked here as a last resort after going to another apartment down the road but after spending one night we couldnt stay any longer.
anyway back to piergiorgios very clean rooms and very quiet ,payed extra for a sea view and worth the extra.staff very polite and attentive,pool quiet and clean .any body who wants to get away from the crowds and noise this is the place for you.
only down side to the holiday was the weather as it pissed down 10 out of 14 days but that was hardly the hotels fault,would go back to this hotel in an instant

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank afc_cooper
Reviewed 30 March 2009

We had booked the Piergiorgio a few months ago and I wasn't certain what to expect based on some of the previous reviews. What I found was a hotel that is a solid 3 stars(out of five) and is desperately trying (and sometimes succeeding) to be something more. Our room, on the third floor and oceanside, was large and the bed was ... firm. Which was fine by us. The cable television got more than 50 stations, including HBO (in English) a CBS feed from New York, and CNN, along with a number of local stations from around the Caribbean. [It rained everyday of our stay so I became very familiar with the stations.] There is free wifi in each room; I counted at least two routers outside the rooms on each floor. Reception in the room was good; if you took your laptop to the lobby, the connection was great. The room was cleaned daily by a staff that was always considerate. The location of the hotel leaves something to be desired. Its at least a 10-20 minute walk to either of the two closest beaches. I thought it a bargain; US$115 a night for two people, including a substantial breakfast. Now, why anyone would want to spend time in Sosua, is another story, but the hotel was totally fine.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Swimmer56
Reviewed 25 March 2009

My wife and I had a wonderful stay at Piergiorgio. I was hesitant before my travel due to some unpleasant review I read on this website. However, we decided to go along with our plan. From the very first day that we got there, we were met by Lora who welcomed us and guide us to our room. The staying was great, besides the beds that are not too comfortable but can't complain because the price was worth it. The breakfast was good, we lunched and dined out just to explore Sosua. Yes the beach is a little walk from the hotel however there are lots of activities that one can do. We had no major issue with our room getting cleaned since it was done everyday. The hotel is very very quite, and the atmosphere is very welcoming. We would definitely go back to Sosua and spend some quiet time at Piergiorgio. The staff were great, the breakfast awesome, the room clean and security was not an issue at all. By the way free breakfast and wi-fi.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Heartyboy
Reviewed 20 October 2008

My wife found out that the owner had recently passed away, and the wife was inattentive to the management of the hotel. Believe me, it shows.

From afar, this hotel looks like a beautiful white villa. Once you check in, you can see that this hotel is poorly maintained, unclean, unprofessionally run, and is sorely, sorely in need of a paint job. My friend's shower did not work, and instead of moving her to a functioning room, they took her on a grand tour from one nonfunctioning room to the other and then would leave her there to wait for the manager for an hour. The last room they showed her was in such poor shape that the front door would not open without the handyman.

Walking around the grounds, I realized that the walks had not been swept, and so there is rubbish all over the place. Further, the beach is far more inaccessible than the hotel's advertising maintained. In fact, the beach is more than a quarter mile away. To top it off, the pool is tiny.

After one night, we moved to Sosua Bay Hotel and were more satisfied.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank tenantlawyer
Reviewed 22 May 2008

On May 12, 2008 my husband and I were married at the Piergiorgio Palace Hotel in Sosua. I cannot say enough about the beautiful hotel. Maria the wedding coordinator was amazing. The decorations were breath taking as well as the location. The flowers were beautiful, the food was delicious. The girl at the salon did a fantastic job on our hair and make up. We picked the absolute best place in the Dominican to have our wedding. I would reccommend this resort to anyone with no hesitation. I cannot wait to travel back for a visit there.

Stayed: May 2008