“Best Lodging deal in Arkansas”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mena
Queen Wilhelmina Lodge
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Mena
Mena, Arkansas
“Best Lodging deal in Arkansas”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2011

I celebrated my 25th wedding anniversary here. Everything was superb. Clean rooms, soft beds and a great restaurant with an awesome view. You would have to fork out at least 3 Franklins for similar accommodations elsewhere in the country.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank fudecritik

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Garland, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2011

When we arrived, we were told that the air conditioning in our room wasn't working properly and wouldn't cool below 72 and the lodge was full. We told them we would try and make it work. We were in the middle of no where on a holiday weekend. The room was 78 degrees and climbing ( it was close to a 100 outside, even on the mountain). We went back to the front desk and they got us a room with two beds instead of the king we had reserved. We also had to move to another room the next day. Both of the rooms were on the backside without the view of the "view" in front. The view of the valley is stunning. The lodge is way up on a mountain and it looks like you can see forever. Just amazing. It made the whole trip worth while. The rooms are kind of old and shabby, we saw three. They need new linens, towels and such. The restaurant was better than I thought it would be, even though the buffets were nauseating to look at. The park is also fun, we loved the miniature train ride and the tour of the Wonder House. The Park Ranger who did the Wonderhouse tour was great, very informative and patient with a super obnoxious kid. The good news is they are closing the lodge in December for a 15 month complete renovation. I really hope they build a place worthy of the gorgeous view.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank TimTheTraveler
LaPlace, Louisiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2011

Mostly, our stay at Queen Wilhelmina Lodge was good. However, there were a couple of minor irritants and one huge inconvenience that I was told could not be addressed because the manager was off sick. We stayed three nights, but I was never told if he came back while I was there.
When we entered Room 201 I noticed there were only one rocking chair in the room, when two were specified in the Lodge’s online description of the room. I called downstairs and was told not every king room had two chairs. I said I need two and was told that we couldn’t be given two, but they could send up a folding chair. Someone brought us a padded chair from the conference room, which is much better than a folding chair, but not a rocker.
It was inconvenient trying to use the non-moving chair at the desk and impossible for me to read in bed because there was neither night table nor lamp on my side of the bed.
Looking at other king rooms I saw that those with rockers DID have two rocking chairs, plus a desk chair and there were two night tables with lamps and even floor lamps—yet I was paying the same price for pitiful Room 201 as others were paying for a full complement of furniture. Were we, as it seems, stuck in a room that is cannibalized when something breaks in other rooms? Had I been told on check –in that the room was substandard I would not have accepted the rate, and probably not the room as it was.
The other big draw back was the linens reeked of fabric softener. I suspect from the feel and scent that they use dryer sheets. I was aware of the scent our entire stay and covered the pillow each night with clothing since there was nothing I could do about the way laundry is done there.
On the last day of our stay when brushing my teeth and raising the glass to my mouth, I noticed something on the rim, and then a small spot on side of the glass. They looked like liquid make-up. I don’t wear make-up. The room was otherwise clean. We had no real glasses on the first day, only plastic.
The bed was comfortable. The peephole was too high for me to see out. The food in the restaurant okay, but the wait staff was fantastic.
The Park Rangers were great. We enjoyed the talks and walks.
The furnishings were adequate, but not as promised on their website. When I stay three nights in a room, I expect it to be as comfortable when I’m awake as well as when sleeping.

Room Tip: Tell them you will not accept room 201.
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank grip652
Arkansas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2010

This lodge is in extreme need of refurbishing. The linens, pillows, carpets, baths, and mattresses are well worn and need to be replaced. The bathroom was in extremely poor condition. The state of Arkansas should close this lodge and do a complete remodel. The accommodations are not worth the price.

I would encourage a day trip here, as the view is great and the history of the lodge is interesting. However, I would recommend lodging somewhere else. I gave this lodge a "2", one for the friendly staff and one for the wonderful view.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank HotDogChamp
McKinney, Texas, USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2010

Queen Wilhelmina was the 2nd of three state lodges my wife and I visited in Early October. The drive up to the lodge was pretty quick, but when we got there things where just a little lacking. Overall I still think it was a good stop, but not necessarily one that stands out or is something you would plan a trip around...

Driving up, we first noticed the little working railroad train and the fullsize train engine on display near the entrance. Heading up to the lodge revealed a spectacular view. This place is on top of a mountain and has a very nice view of the surrounding valley and hills.

We got unpacked and checked out the room. One tip is that the loading zone is on opposite side of the revolving door. I found that out after negotiating 3 large suitcases through the revolving door. Our room was on the ground floor with a King bed. The room was nicely appointed, but did show it's age. It reminded me of my grandmothers. Expect all lighting from lamps, and a few attempts to figure out which switches activate which outlets. Everything is well maintained and clean, but clearly not new. Overall we didn't have any complaints, just don't go in with super high expectations.

The ice cream shop also will sell you rounds of minigolf or a ticket for the mini railroad. Definitely for the kids, but we did have fun on the railroard. It's a great start to get your bearings on the park, but not much else. I'm sure kids would have a blast, but just a novelty for adults.

The ice cream shop / diner was currently up for sale. They didn't seem to have alot of variety to offer (only two flavors of ice cream available when we went), but it is a good place to grab a coffee, coke or candy bar.

With a few hours to spare, my wife and I took the Lover's leap trail. This was a pretty neat and short hike, but it does have a few sections that are quite difficult for the less experienced. A hiking pole made it easier. The lover's leap lookout is a decked overlook that branches off (briefly) from the trail. Some walked right by, missing the whole purpose for the trail! Continue taking the trail as it loops around to the front of the lodge. You can join the Ouachita trail (225 miles) from here.

Two items we didn't have time for were the wonder house tour and the old lodge resevoir trail. The wonder house is an old vacation home/cabin with a very unique layout. Check in advance for tour times as it was closed when we visited this lodge!

The lodge restarant was a tad underwhelming. There was an offered buffet but we opted for the chicken fried steak and the peppercorn sirloin steak. The food was pretty good, but nothing exemplary. Remember this is a state park lodge, not a 4 star restarant with an executive chef. Just good ole comfort food, and lots of it! We skipped breakfast so that we could make an early appointment, but the buffet looked and smelled good.

All wait staff and lodge personnal were great! Absolutely no complaints there.

So overall, I probably won't stay here again unless it is a logical stopping point towards my ultimate desination. Don't get me wrong, we enjoyed our stay, and the value was quite good. But families with little ones would probably get bored with more than a 1 day and night stay.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Central Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2010

NIce and friendly staff. Very helpful staff. Loved the room. Not bad accomodations for a state park and the riding in the area was awesome. We definitely will do this again. Restaurant on the premises was very good.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
benton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2010

Loved it!!!
the view is spectacular, the people are very friendly....
great family atmosphere
saw my first bear, very exciting!!
we certainly didn't have any "bed bugs"

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mena
Lookout Point Lakeside Inn
Ozark Inn
Ozark Inn
#3 of 5 in Mena
Janssen Park Place B&B

Been to Queen Wilhelmina Lodge? Share your experiences!