All reviews tiny house wits end dry county firefly canoe cottage property
Reviewed April 17, 2017 via mobile

Very very very clean! All amenities included, even popcorn to go with your movie. So your cell phone won't work there? Who cares!! It's a getaway! And they do have Wi Fi if you have to stay connected. We were in Canebreak Cottage. It was a great place to stay. We have family in the area and we will be back!!

Date of stay: April 2017
1  Thank AnnB43560
Reviewed February 14, 2016 via mobile

My husband and I had a wonderful time. We stayed in the FireFly treehouse, which was very adorabely decorated. I believe we covered all 120 acres on the golf cart and did some fishing in the very clear 11 point River. The owners Melanie and Byron went out of their way to make sure we had everything we needed to make our stay a memorable one. We will be returning for some more fun filled days and starry nights.

Date of stay: February 2016
5  Thank Lisa C
Reviewed December 14, 2015

It's a nice, sleepy get-away.

It's also far from any cell phone coverage.

The web site description tells us that each cabin has wi-fi and a phone. In fact, the cabin descriptions inside that tell you about calling 911 in case of an emergency include details for how to tell the responders to get to you-- except there is no phone and there is no wi-fi.

I don't mind doing without wi-fi-- unless I've been told that there IS wi-fi. Then, you make plans accordingly (like getting an app so that your wife can still watch a ball game she wants to see.)

The owners apologize and say that "we think people just want to get away," and that may be... again, the promise is the problem. If you expect wi-fi and don't have it, that is not a good thing.
They say "we'll talk to the web site guy about fixing that," (Clearly the 'all cabins have wi-fi- description has been up a long time-- and has NEVER been the case. It's not like the cabins USED to have wi-fi and it was broken when we were there. They have never had wi-fi (the owner say "we barely have internet in our house-- we can't get it in the cabins). But the web site promises it and-- I just checked-- 3 weeks after I made a big deal out of the broken promise, the web site still says "wi-fi and phone provided."

There is not much to do in the area. Hiking is minimally interesting. The golf cart ride will occupy an interesting hour or so. If you don't want to go into the river (very brown) it really is a 'getaway,' with shocking little wildlife in the area. Be advised. Premium price for a non-premium location.

Date of stay: November 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank kduke42
Reviewed October 14, 2014

This is really a hidden gem. Each couple gets their own tiny house which is uniquely decorated and well provisioned. Each tiny house comes with a golf cart that can be used to explore the trails or to drive to the river where you can swim or use one of the kayaks provided for further exploration. The nearby town of Pocahontas has a town square worth exploration as well as many historical points of interest. This is a great place to visit in Spring, Summer, or Fall as each season offers different views

Date of stay: May 2014
2  Thank tumblingshoals
Reviewed August 18, 2014

I stayed in the Firefly cabin which offers a treehouse bedroom. Yes, you get to sleep in the trees. And lest you think it's some primitive treehouse from your childhood let me assure you it is FAR from that.
The owners have thought of every possible comfort to provide without compromising the beauty of the area or impeding the enjoyment of the rustic setting.
From the many outlets to charge phones and other electronics, to bubble bath for the outdoor tub everything you could want is there.
The bed in the cabin was SO comfortable and although it was well above 95 degrees when I was there, the a/c kept my room very cool and comfortable. And the setting is SO private and SO romantic... I highly recommend this place for a romantic weekend away, second honeymoon (or even a first) or any time you and your sweetheart want to escape for some private time.
The cabin is beautifully decorated and clean. The kitchen has everything you could possibly want for making meals if you choose.
My cabin also had two wooden swings to swing on which was a lovely surprise!
Make sure you take your provided golf cart down to the river... I did. I put a beach chair in the water (also provided) and just sat there and let the crystal clear water wash over me.
Others staying there used the canoe and kayaks but I was happy to just stay put.

Be advised: this is a dry county so buy your wine, beer or whatever before you head out. And a trip to the grocery store is going to be time away from the beauty of this place so pack thoughtfully so you don't have to leave.
But if you do, the town of Pocahontas is very sweet and you can spend several hours walking around in and out of the little shops there.
The owners of Shady River provide a handbook of sites to see, a laminated map of the property and lots of information to make your visit perfect.

There is not one thing I would change about this place! It is perfect!

Room tip: The Firefly is perfect for a couple. The other two cabins sleep more people and are designed for families as well. But all three are private and offer the same beauty and tranquility.
Date of stay: July 2014