“Tiny house heaven!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pocahontas
Shady River Getaway
Reviewed 7 November 2017

My family had an absolute blast seeing the fall colors from Wit's End cabin. We had a fun packed day of golf carting the trails, scaring ourselves in the cave, and leisurely floating the 11 point river (all before 3pm!). This place is a little piece of heaven. I'd definitely go back.

Stayed: November 2017

Reviewed 17 April 2017 via mobile

Very very very clean! All amenities included, even popcorn to go with your movie. So your cell phone won't work there? Who cares!! It's a getaway! And they do have Wi Fi if you have to stay connected. We were in Canebreak Cottage. It was a great place to stay. We have family in the area and we will be back!!

Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AnnB43560
Reviewed 14 February 2016 via mobile

My husband and I had a wonderful time. We stayed in the FireFly treehouse, which was very adorabely decorated. I believe we covered all 120 acres on the golf cart and did some fishing in the very clear 11 point River. The owners Melanie and Byron went out of their way to make sure we had everything we needed to make our stay a memorable one. We will be returning for some more fun filled days and starry nights.

Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Lisa C
Reviewed 14 December 2015

It's a nice, sleepy get-away.

It's also far from any cell phone coverage.

The web site description tells us that each cabin has wi-fi and a phone. In fact, the cabin descriptions inside that tell you about calling 911 in case of an emergency include details for how to tell the responders to get to you-- except there is no phone and there is no wi-fi.

I don't mind doing without wi-fi-- unless I've been told that there IS wi-fi. Then, you make plans accordingly (like getting an app so that your wife can still watch a ball game she wants to see.)

The owners apologize and say that "we think people just want to get away," and that may be... again, the promise is the problem. If you expect wi-fi and don't have it, that is not a good thing.
They say "we'll talk to the web site guy about fixing that," (Clearly the 'all cabins have wi-fi- description has been up a long time-- and has NEVER been the case. It's not like the cabins USED to have wi-fi and it was broken when we were there. They have never had wi-fi (the owner say "we barely have internet in our house-- we can't get it in the cabins). But the web site promises it and-- I just checked-- 3 weeks after I made a big deal out of the broken promise, the web site still says "wi-fi and phone provided."

There is not much to do in the area. Hiking is minimally interesting. The golf cart ride will occupy an interesting hour or so. If you don't want to go into the river (very brown) it really is a 'getaway,' with shocking little wildlife in the area. Be advised. Premium price for a non-premium location.

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kduke42
Reviewed 14 October 2014

This is really a hidden gem. Each couple gets their own tiny house which is uniquely decorated and well provisioned. Each tiny house comes with a golf cart that can be used to explore the trails or to drive to the river where you can swim or use one of the kayaks provided for further exploration. The nearby town of Pocahontas has a town square worth exploration as well as many historical points of interest. This is a great place to visit in Spring, Summer, or Fall as each season offers different views

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank tumblingshoals
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I stayed in the Firefly cabin which offers a treehouse bedroom. Yes, you get to sleep in the trees. And lest you think it's some primitive treehouse from your childhood let me assure you it is FAR from that.
The owners have thought of every possible comfort to provide without compromising the beauty of the area or impeding the enjoyment of the rustic setting.
From the many outlets to charge phones and other electronics, to bubble bath for the outdoor tub everything you could want is there.
The bed in the cabin was SO comfortable and although it was well above 95 degrees when I was there, the a/c kept my room very cool and comfortable. And the setting is SO private and SO romantic... I highly recommend this place for a romantic weekend away, second honeymoon (or even a first) or any time you and your sweetheart want to escape for some private time.
The cabin is beautifully decorated and clean. The kitchen has everything you could possibly want for making meals if you choose.
My cabin also had two wooden swings to swing on which was a lovely surprise!
Make sure you take your provided golf cart down to the river... I did. I put a beach chair in the water (also provided) and just sat there and let the crystal clear water wash over me.
Others staying there used the canoe and kayaks but I was happy to just stay put.

Be advised: this is a dry county so buy your wine, beer or whatever before you head out. And a trip to the grocery store is going to be time away from the beauty of this place so pack thoughtfully so you don't have to leave.
But if you do, the town of Pocahontas is very sweet and you can spend several hours walking around in and out of the little shops there.
The owners of Shady River provide a handbook of sites to see, a laminated map of the property and lots of information to make your visit perfect.

There is not one thing I would change about this place! It is perfect!

Room Tip: The Firefly is perfect for a couple. The other two cabins sleep more people and are designed for fam...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank yankeegirl66
Reviewed 9 July 2013

My husband and I went with another couple to the Shady River property. My husband and I stayed in Firefly (the treehouse) and our friends stayed in Wit's End. It was such an excellent and relaxing weekend. We kayak a lot and were looking for a resort in northern Arkansas to kayak and that is how we found this place. We did float the Eleven Point from Dalton down to Shady River. It is a great safe river to float, although we were dissapointed that it didn't have the rapids we enjoy. That of course has nothing to do with Shady River, because Shady River and staying in the treehouse was AWESOME! The owners were very helpful and answered all our email questions and phone calls before we arrived. It was very private and the owners let you relax. There are golf carts with each tiny house and kayaks, fishing poles, tackle, and tubes to use while you are there on there resort. We loved cooking out back on the deck at Wit's End. It was very well shaded and so relaxing. My husband and I loved sitting up on our balcony on the top part where the bedroom is at Firefly. We also really enjoyed the bubble bath. The most fun though was definately riding around on the golf carts and all the food we consumed while we were there:-) Also, don't miss out on going down the road to Dalton and shopping at the Amish store! Message me if you have any questions!

Room Tip: If there are just two of you stay in Firefly with the Queen bed. If you have more than two stay in...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank dunnl20

Been to Shady River Getaway? Share your experiences!