Review Highlights
Opeongo Store Review

Great thing about the store is their water taxi, It takes you to north arm or east arm of the lake... read more

Reviewed July 9, 2018
Athinthra S
A fantastic wilderness canoe experience

What a truly amazing place to explore - we loved the wilderness canoe experience offered by... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
richadventure
Bedford, United Kingdom
via mobile

See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed July 23, 2017 via mobile

Attempted canoeing with my young toddler (big mistake). You have to pay a full day rental when you rent the canoe. I was gone maybe 20 minutes because it was impossible to canoe alone with my baby. I was still charged for the entire day. $50 waste of money with no consideration for the fact that I didn't even get to use the canoe for even a half hour.

AORandy, Marketing Manager at Algonquin Outfitters – Opeongo Store & Water Taxi, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2017

Melissa, sorry to hear you could only paddle for maybe 20minutes before having to return. Paddling with young children can be a challenge at time (I have 4 children myself so have seen it all).
Would you mind contacting me at (marketing at algonqinoutfitters dot com) I would like to explore your situation but need some more details to look into this. Typically our rental rates are by the day as most people can enjoy hours worth of paddling from out Lake Opeongo store.
I'd like to offer some type of compensation for your unique situation but need to know a little more details. Alternatively you may be able reach me at the office at 1-705-787-0262 x36.

R a n d y M i t s o n

Algonquin Outfitters
Marketing Director
86 Main Street E,
Huntsville, ON P1H 2C7

Reviewed July 12, 2017

My eight year old daughter and I flew from Vancouver Island (where there are no moose) to Ottawa for a week of Canada Day festivities, with a three day trip to Algonquin Park in the middle with the specific goal of seeing moose, our favourite animal, which neither of us had ever seen aside from one that I'd seen briefly in Quebec when I was a child. As we were coming across the country, travelling light, we couldn't camp, so rather than an overnight canoe trip, I did some research and determined a guided canoe day trip with Algonquin Outfitters was our best bet. Thankfully, on our way to meet our guide at the Opeongo Lake store at 6:45 AM, we saw a beautiful cow moose in a wooded marsh, and took some beautiful photos. The pressure was off! However, I can't say enough wonderful things about our guided trip through the marshy creek at the end of Opeongo Lake. We went in to two canoes, with our guide Emily in one canoe with another guest, and my daughter and me in a second canoe (I'm very experienced). After a 20 minute ride across the lake in a water taxi (motor boat with canoes on top), we entered the marshy creek. We paddled for about 90 minutes, seeing no moose, but Emily pointed out turtles, hawks, and we saw countless active beaver lodges. On our way back to the meet-up point, we saw something far up creek, and we all thought it might be another large beaver lodge, until we saw it move, and up out of the marsh came a large set of antlers. We paddled like Olympians to get close, and we ended up viewing this huge bull moose from about 50 meters away for about five minutes. For my daughter and me, it was a dream come true to see a bull moose, in a marsh, eating lily pads, two days before Canada Day. Emily knew where the moose might be, and got us to that spot. It was perfect. It really could not have been a more perfect trip. If your time is limited, or you're not an expert paddler, and if you want to put yourself in the best position to see moose, definitely do a guided day trip with Algonquin Outfitters. Emily helped create memories that will truly last a lifetime.

1  Thank lemieuxdavid
AORandy, Marketing Manager at Algonquin Outfitters – Opeongo Store & Water Taxi, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2017

lemieuxdavid, so glad we could help make you dream come true with a wildlife viewing trip on Hailstorm Creek. Although it's never a guarantee to see moose it sounds like you had a great encounter, one that you're sure to remember for many years. Glad Emily could help you find some great wildlife for you and your daughter. Trips like this are all about building memories that last a life time.

Hope to see you back again someday soon, maybe your daughter will even one day bring her child to Algonquin Park to share such a great memory.

Cheers ~ Randy M

Reviewed July 12, 2017 via mobile

Canoeing in the far reaches of Opeongo Lake is something to experience. We were taken in fast water taxi from the Outfitters store for a journey of about 15 minutes. Then dropped off in complete isolation and we watched the taxi disappear. At that pint we were standing on a damp piece of ground that about 20 feet wide. But we had 3 canoes. We then canoed further into nowhere and back for about 3 hours. We saw beaver lodges, turtles and bullfrogs but no moose this time. Lots of bird life. And saw a Hummingbird Clearwing moth. Masses of colourful flowers. But its the peace and scale of the beautiful wilderness that I'll remember. We were aged 13-52 with no real canoeing experience to speak of. The water has no real flow; certainly no white water or rapids. We had glorious weather with a bit of a head wind on the way out. Never felt unsafe. Our guide, Emily, was a pleasure; very knowledgeable and friendly. Thanks again Emily! Told us to clap hands in the woods when we went to the loo, in case of bears. Everyone held it! :)

1  Thank Seasoned_traveller41
AORandy, Marketing Manager at Algonquin Outfitters – Opeongo Store & Water Taxi, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2018

Seasoned_traveler41 thanks for sharing your Hailstorm Creek experience with us. Sounds like everyone had a great time with Emily. Hope to see you back again real soon. Cheers ~ Randy M

Reviewed March 1, 2017

Beware they will rent canoes (calm or not) so you end up on the lake on a windy day then you call for a taxi ride back to the dock and they charge you big $$. Or a "rescue" boat will be out trolling looking for people, they can guess pretty good you will last about half an hour.

4  Thank Mark P
AORandy, Marketing Manager at Algonquin Outfitters – Opeongo Store & Water Taxi, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2017

Thanks for the feed back Mark. We always try to recommend the best locations depending on conditions but unfortunately we don't control the weather. If the lake is windy we usually recommend that people paddle in the bay or Costello Creek which is just next to our store. Everyone has different skill levels for paddling and what one person may consider windy and difficult another may not.

We're always there to offer advice and provide service when people choose to paddle in conditions the may be beyond their skill levels. Sorry to hear you didn't have a good time paddling on Lake Opeongo and needed our water taxi to assist you back to the store.

Reviewed January 27, 2017

Every couple of years we start our canoe trip from Opeongo, it is a beautiful lake with so many options for canoe routes. This lake can get very rough so maybe not the best for beginners. The outfitters on the lake has a water taxi service that get take you up the entire lake in less than 20 minutes, we always take the taxi up and then paddle back, we also rent our canoe from the outfitters. Very informative and helpful staff, very smooth process. We had a great experience here last season.

2  Thank kellytremont

Thank you for your review KellyTremont. Some great advice for others in your comments. Opeongo is a very large lake, Algonquin Park's largest in fact and it can produce some pretty big waves that are not suitable for inexperienced paddlers. Our Water Taxi service is always a great way to get across the lake safely and quickly.

I've personally paddled the entire length of the lake many times and encountered everything from calm waters to waves that were large enough to swallow a canoe. Paddling on calm days can be a great pleasure, just be prepared if the wind picks up you may be land locked for a while.

See you back again on your next trip to Lake Opeongo.