“Great outfitters”

Algonquin Outfitters – Opeongo Store & Water Taxi
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The biggest lake in Algonquin Park is home to the Algonquin Outfitters Opeongo Store and Water Taxi. Lake Opeongo is Algonquin Park’s largest body of water, well known for some of the best lake trout and Small-mouth bass fishing in the park. For canoeists or sea kayakers wishing a trip with no portages, the many campsites dotting the bays and islands of the big lake offer a unique alternative to a traditional lake and river route. A water taxi ride can give your trip a head start by eliminating the 15-25 km paddle to the main portages at the far end of the lake, or the boat can drop you off at your favourite Opeongo campsite. The Lake Opeongo access point (access # 11) offers excellent access to the central canoe tripping area of Algonquin Park. The store is located right at the access point, at the south end of Lake Opeongo in Algonquin Park. Our Opeongo Store offers canoe & kayak rentals, complete outfitting, water taxi service, as well as an outstanding selection of fish tackle, camping supplies, clothing, footwear, souvenirs, groceries, live bait, and ice. Lake Opeongo is a popular destination for day trippers. Canoe and kayak rentals are available for the day and the lake offers a wide variety of scenic destinations. The Hailstorm Creek Wildlife Viewing Trip allows day visitors to access the Hailstorm Creek Nature Reserve. This protected area offers excellent wildlife viewing, particularly for moose. Our unique program allows day-trippers to explore Hailstorm Creek without having to worry about paddling on the big lake – a water taxi transports people and canoes safely from our store to the mouth of the creek in 20 minutes. The trip price includes canoe rental, all safety equipment and water taxi transportation. This trip is available only at the Opeongo Store.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase, Activities for older children
Reviewed August 16, 2017 via mobile

We rented two Swift Kevlar canoes for a 6 day trip. Good equipment and knowledgeable. Picked up some last minute/forgotten items in the store. Well recommended.

AORandy, Marketing Manager at Algonquin Outfitters – Opeongo Store & Water Taxi, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2017

Hey Jeff thanks for leaving the great 5-Star review, hope to see you back again soon. ~ Randy M

All reviews
"turtles"
"route"
"woods"

Reviewed August 10, 2017

The Opeongo water taxi literally saved our lives on the first day of our back country canoe trip on Lake Opeongo. We arrived to treacherous waters (whitecaps and a report of a capsized canoe) and decided to pay the $65 for the taxi to take the two of us (plus our dog) to our site. We had no idea how big the lake was! Our driver patiently took us all over the south arm of the lake, but we couldn't find a vacant camp site despite having a reservation.
She even more patiently provided first aid to my foot when I cut it while we stopped to pick up other passengers! She didn't give up trying to find us a campsite after this pickup and finally found one for us to stay on en route back to the Outfitters. I just wished I remembered her name! Additionally, all other staff we encountered at the Outfitters were just as pleasant and efficient as she was. Thanks guys!
Be mindful that the weather on this lake can change quickly & dramatically - know the sheer size of this lake and plan a back country trip that matches your abilities and time available. It may not be a bad idea to plan for an extra day on your Lake Opeongo back country route in case you have bad weather. Trust me, you don't want to be canoeing on this lake if that happens! Weather withstanding, expect an amazing experience that you will always remember. And don't forget to have a delicious (and generous!) scoop of Kawartha dairy ice cream from the Outfitters store when you return from your adventure!

LarissaRoz, thanks for the 5-Star review, I'm glad you were able to get to your campsite and it seems you had an amazing trip into the backcountry on Lake Opeongo. Glad we could make it more enjoyable with our assistance. Hope to see you again soon, there's lots of Algonquin Park still to explore. ~ Randy M

Reviewed July 23, 2017 via mobile

Attempted canoeing with my young toddler (big mistake). You have to pay a full day rental when you rent the canoe. I was gone maybe 20 minutes because it was impossible to canoe alone with my baby. I was still charged for the entire day. $50 waste of money with no consideration for the fact that I didn't even get to use the canoe for even a half hour.

AORandy, Marketing Manager at Algonquin Outfitters – Opeongo Store & Water Taxi, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2017

Melissa, sorry to hear you could only paddle for maybe 20minutes before having to return. Paddling with young children can be a challenge at time (I have 4 children myself so have seen it all).
Would you mind contacting me at (marketing at algonqinoutfitters dot com) I would like to explore your situation but need some more details to look into this. Typically our rental rates are by the day as most people can enjoy hours worth of paddling from out Lake Opeongo store.
I'd like to offer some type of compensation for your unique situation but need to know a little more details. Alternatively you may be able reach me at the office at 1-705-787-0262 x36.

R a n d y M i t s o n

Algonquin Outfitters
Marketing Director
86 Main Street E,
Huntsville, ON P1H 2C7

Reviewed July 12, 2017

My eight year old daughter and I flew from Vancouver Island (where there are no moose) to Ottawa for a week of Canada Day festivities, with a three day trip to Algonquin Park in the middle with the specific goal of seeing moose, our favourite animal, which neither of us had ever seen aside from one that I'd seen briefly in Quebec when I was a child. As we were coming across the country, travelling light, we couldn't camp, so rather than an overnight canoe trip, I did some research and determined a guided canoe day trip with Algonquin Outfitters was our best bet. Thankfully, on our way to meet our guide at the Opeongo Lake store at 6:45 AM, we saw a beautiful cow moose in a wooded marsh, and took some beautiful photos. The pressure was off! However, I can't say enough wonderful things about our guided trip through the marshy creek at the end of Opeongo Lake. We went in to two canoes, with our guide Emily in one canoe with another guest, and my daughter and me in a second canoe (I'm very experienced). After a 20 minute ride across the lake in a water taxi (motor boat with canoes on top), we entered the marshy creek. We paddled for about 90 minutes, seeing no moose, but Emily pointed out turtles, hawks, and we saw countless active beaver lodges. On our way back to the meet-up point, we saw something far up creek, and we all thought it might be another large beaver lodge, until we saw it move, and up out of the marsh came a large set of antlers. We paddled like Olympians to get close, and we ended up viewing this huge bull moose from about 50 meters away for about five minutes. For my daughter and me, it was a dream come true to see a bull moose, in a marsh, eating lily pads, two days before Canada Day. Emily knew where the moose might be, and got us to that spot. It was perfect. It really could not have been a more perfect trip. If your time is limited, or you're not an expert paddler, and if you want to put yourself in the best position to see moose, definitely do a guided day trip with Algonquin Outfitters. Emily helped create memories that will truly last a lifetime.

1  Thank lemieuxdavid
AORandy, Marketing Manager at Algonquin Outfitters – Opeongo Store & Water Taxi, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2017

lemieuxdavid, so glad we could help make you dream come true with a wildlife viewing trip on Hailstorm Creek. Although it's never a guarantee to see moose it sounds like you had a great encounter, one that you're sure to remember for many years. Glad Emily could help you find some great wildlife for you and your daughter. Trips like this are all about building memories that last a life time.

Hope to see you back again someday soon, maybe your daughter will even one day bring her child to Algonquin Park to share such a great memory.

Cheers ~ Randy M

See more reviews
Reviewed July 12, 2017 via mobile

Canoeing in the far reaches of Opeongo Lake is something to experience. We were taken in fast water taxi from the Outfitters store for a journey of about 15 minutes. Then dropped off in complete isolation and we watched the taxi disappear. At that pint we were standing on a damp piece of ground that about 20 feet wide. But we had 3 canoes. We then canoed further into nowhere and back for about 3 hours. We saw beaver lodges, turtles and bullfrogs but no moose this time. Lots of bird life. And saw a Hummingbird Clearwing moth. Masses of colourful flowers. But its the peace and scale of the beautiful wilderness that I'll remember. We were aged 13-52 with no real canoeing experience to speak of. The water has no real flow; certainly no white water or rapids. We had glorious weather with a bit of a head wind on the way out. Never felt unsafe. Our guide, Emily, was a pleasure; very knowledgeable and friendly. Thanks again Emily! Told us to clap hands in the woods when we went to the loo, in case of bears. Everyone held it! :)

1  Thank Seasoned_traveller41
AORandy, Marketing Manager at Algonquin Outfitters – Opeongo Store & Water Taxi, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Seasoned_traveler41 thanks for sharing your Hailstorm Creek experience with us. Sounds like everyone had a great time with Emily. Hope to see you back again real soon. Cheers ~ Randy M