“Amazing experience!”

Algonquin Outfitters – Opeongo Store & Water Taxi
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The biggest lake in Algonquin Park is home to the Algonquin Outfitters Opeongo Store and Water Taxi. Lake Opeongo is Algonquin Park’s largest body of water, well known for some of the best lake trout and Small-mouth bass fishing in the park. For canoeists or sea kayakers wishing a trip with no portages, the many campsites dotting the bays and islands of the big lake offer a unique alternative to a traditional lake and river route. A water taxi ride can give your trip a head start by eliminating the 15-25 km paddle to the main portages at the far end of the lake, or the boat can drop you off at your favourite Opeongo campsite. The Lake Opeongo access point (access # 11) offers excellent access to the central canoe tripping area of Algonquin Park. The store is located right at the access point, at the south end of Lake Opeongo in Algonquin Park. Our Opeongo Store offers canoe & kayak rentals, complete outfitting, water taxi service, as well as an outstanding selection of fish tackle, camping supplies, clothing, footwear, souvenirs, groceries, live bait, and ice. Lake Opeongo is a popular destination for day trippers. Canoe and kayak rentals are available for the day and the lake offers a wide variety of scenic destinations. The Hailstorm Creek Wildlife Viewing Trip allows day visitors to access the Hailstorm Creek Nature Reserve. This protected area offers excellent wildlife viewing, particularly for moose. Our unique program allows day-trippers to explore Hailstorm Creek without having to worry about paddling on the big lake – a water taxi transports people and canoes safely from our store to the mouth of the creek in 20 minutes. The trip price includes canoe rental, all safety equipment and water taxi transportation. This trip is available only at the Opeongo Store.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
Reviewed September 25, 2017

My wife and I rented a deluxe outfitting package for a weekend on Opeongo Lake and the only disappointment we experienced was having to come back! The service was fantastic: We only needed to bring our personal belongings (clothes, binoculars, etc.) and Algonquin Outfitters provided the rest.

The gear that they gave us was good quality, well-packed and ready for us when we arrived. The food they provided was organized into meals that were easy to prepare and clean up after. (This is incredibly helpful for backcountry newbies like us.) The staff (Candace, Colin) were friendly and helpful with answering our questions. We took a water taxi up to the North Arm and then paddled back over the next couple days, taking some scenic side trips to Hailstorm Creek and Marmot Lake.

If you have never tried backcountry camping, I would strongly recommend using these outfitters! We will definitely be back.

I have one other recommendation since some of the negative reviews here seem to be fixated on wind/weather/canoeing-with-toddlers, etc. There are some very short (<5 mins) and helpful how-to videos on youtube that teach canoeing basics such as a J-stroke. If you've never tried canoeing, check these out before you paddle! Canoeing is simple and fun, but it can be frustrating if you just push out onto the water (and into the wind) without knowing how to paddle. I know this because I've done it!

1  Thank BrianKirkham
AORandy, Marketing Manager at Algonquin Outfitters – Opeongo Store & Water Taxi, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Thank you very much for your 5 Star review BrianKirkham. I'm sure your detailed review will be very helpful for others seeking a similar experience in Algonquin Park.

I love your suggestion about researching some basic canoeing techniques before heading off on an Algonquin Park adventure, you can also ask one of our guides for some quick pointers too and if you really want help through out your trip you can book one of our guided adventures. You suggestion about using YouTube for paddling advice is such a great idea I'm going to look into producing our own how to videos for our YouTube channel. We already have some popular videos that show how to portage a canoe, how to load a canoe at the shore and even how to tie down a canoe to transport it on your car, but I think it's time we updated them and produced a few more.

Thanks again for not only the great review but some great ideas too.

Randy Mitson

"turtles"
"route"
"woods"

Reviewed September 22, 2017

It is tricky to write this review because perhaps we just had unrealistic expectations. We wanted to canoe in the park and we chose a 'guided' option hoping and expecting the guide to give us a great 'tour' experience. It was a huge disappointment having paid in excess of $600 for our family of 5 to have a 'guide' who told us pretty much from the start that he was only there to get us from a to b. He had no interest in teaching us about the flora and fauna and so it all became quite awkward for a while especially as he seemed to get angry if our balance was a bit off in the boat. So be advised, if you would like a true guide who will immerse you in the whole amazing experience of being in the Algonquin park go with a specialist tour company - don't do as we did because you will be left feeling rather deflated due to the large amount of money spent and time with a member of staff who seemed to want to be anywhere else but with us.

4  Thank LosElvinos

LosElvinos, sorry for the delay in replying to this review. Could you please contact me, I'd like to look into what happened here and some more details on your experience so we can make sure it doesn't happen with others. You can reach me at marketing@algonquinoutfitters.com. I've already spoken to our Lake Opeongo manager and we would like to resolve this so it doesn't happen to anyone else with similar expectations. ~ Randy Mitson, Marketing Director.

[UPDATE] Los, I've had the chance to go over your review with our Lake Opeongo manager and there's a few things we are refreshing with our guides and staff. Your review has brought it to our attention that we need to always ask our clients what their expectations are, just as you noted in the opening of your review. Many of our guides do indeed ask clients what they are looking for from their Algonquin Park experience and are very capable of delivering on most if not all requests. We sometimes pair a specific guide with specific requests to make sure it's a good fit for both parties. Thank you for letting us know that we "missed the boat" so to speak in this particular situation. We are reviewing this with our staff to help insure that it doesn't happen again.

Thank you again for posting your review and helping us provide a better more enjoyable experience for everyone.

Randy Mitson

Reviewed August 16, 2017 via mobile

We rented two Swift Kevlar canoes for a 6 day trip. Good equipment and knowledgeable. Picked up some last minute/forgotten items in the store. Well recommended.

AORandy, Marketing Manager at Algonquin Outfitters – Opeongo Store & Water Taxi, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2017

Hey Jeff thanks for leaving the great 5-Star review, hope to see you back again soon. ~ Randy M

Reviewed August 10, 2017

The Opeongo water taxi literally saved our lives on the first day of our back country canoe trip on Lake Opeongo. We arrived to treacherous waters (whitecaps and a report of a capsized canoe) and decided to pay the $65 for the taxi to take the two of us (plus our dog) to our site. We had no idea how big the lake was! Our driver patiently took us all over the south arm of the lake, but we couldn't find a vacant camp site despite having a reservation.
She even more patiently provided first aid to my foot when I cut it while we stopped to pick up other passengers! She didn't give up trying to find us a campsite after this pickup and finally found one for us to stay on en route back to the Outfitters. I just wished I remembered her name! Additionally, all other staff we encountered at the Outfitters were just as pleasant and efficient as she was. Thanks guys!
Be mindful that the weather on this lake can change quickly & dramatically - know the sheer size of this lake and plan a back country trip that matches your abilities and time available. It may not be a bad idea to plan for an extra day on your Lake Opeongo back country route in case you have bad weather. Trust me, you don't want to be canoeing on this lake if that happens! Weather withstanding, expect an amazing experience that you will always remember. And don't forget to have a delicious (and generous!) scoop of Kawartha dairy ice cream from the Outfitters store when you return from your adventure!

LarissaRoz, thanks for the 5-Star review, I'm glad you were able to get to your campsite and it seems you had an amazing trip into the backcountry on Lake Opeongo. Glad we could make it more enjoyable with our assistance. Hope to see you again soon, there's lots of Algonquin Park still to explore. ~ Randy M

See more reviews
Reviewed July 23, 2017 via mobile

Attempted canoeing with my young toddler (big mistake). You have to pay a full day rental when you rent the canoe. I was gone maybe 20 minutes because it was impossible to canoe alone with my baby. I was still charged for the entire day. $50 waste of money with no consideration for the fact that I didn't even get to use the canoe for even a half hour.

AORandy, Marketing Manager at Algonquin Outfitters – Opeongo Store & Water Taxi, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2017

Melissa, sorry to hear you could only paddle for maybe 20minutes before having to return. Paddling with young children can be a challenge at time (I have 4 children myself so have seen it all).
Would you mind contacting me at (marketing at algonqinoutfitters dot com) I would like to explore your situation but need some more details to look into this. Typically our rental rates are by the day as most people can enjoy hours worth of paddling from out Lake Opeongo store.
I'd like to offer some type of compensation for your unique situation but need to know a little more details. Alternatively you may be able reach me at the office at 1-705-787-0262 x36.

R a n d y M i t s o n