Review Highlights
Opeongo Store Review

Great thing about the store is their water taxi, It takes you to north arm or east arm of the lake... read more

Reviewed July 9, 2018
Athinthra S
A fantastic wilderness canoe experience

What a truly amazing place to explore - we loved the wilderness canoe experience offered by... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
richadventure
Bedford, United Kingdom
via mobile

See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed September 22, 2017

It is tricky to write this review because perhaps we just had unrealistic expectations. We wanted to canoe in the park and we chose a 'guided' option hoping and expecting the guide to give us a great 'tour' experience. It was a huge disappointment having paid in excess of $600 for our family of 5 to have a 'guide' who told us pretty much from the start that he was only there to get us from a to b. He had no interest in teaching us about the flora and fauna and so it all became quite awkward for a while especially as he seemed to get angry if our balance was a bit off in the boat. So be advised, if you would like a true guide who will immerse you in the whole amazing experience of being in the Algonquin park go with a specialist tour company - don't do as we did because you will be left feeling rather deflated due to the large amount of money spent and time with a member of staff who seemed to want to be anywhere else but with us.

4  Thank LosElvinos
AORandy, Marketing Manager at Algonquin Outfitters – Opeongo Store & Water Taxi, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2018

LosElvinos, sorry for the delay in replying to this review. Could you please contact me, I'd like to look into what happened here and some more details on your experience so we can make sure it doesn't happen with others. You can reach me at marketing@algonquinoutfitters.com. I've already spoken to our Lake Opeongo manager and we would like to resolve this so it doesn't happen to anyone else with similar expectations. ~ Randy Mitson, Marketing Director.

[UPDATE] Los, I've had the chance to go over your review with our Lake Opeongo manager and there's a few things we are refreshing with our guides and staff. Your review has brought it to our attention that we need to always ask our clients what their expectations are, just as you noted in the opening of your review. Many of our guides do indeed ask clients what they are looking for from their Algonquin Park experience and are very capable of delivering on most if not all requests. We sometimes pair a specific guide with specific requests to make sure it's a good fit for both parties. Thank you for letting us know that we "missed the boat" so to speak in this particular situation. We are reviewing this with our staff to help insure that it doesn't happen again.

Thank you again for posting your review and helping us provide a better more enjoyable experience for everyone.

Randy Mitson
Marketing Director
Algonquin Outfitters

Reviewed August 16, 2017 via mobile

We rented two Swift Kevlar canoes for a 6 day trip. Good equipment and knowledgeable. Picked up some last minute/forgotten items in the store. Well recommended.

AORandy, Marketing Manager at Algonquin Outfitters – Opeongo Store & Water Taxi, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2017

Hey Jeff thanks for leaving the great 5-Star review, hope to see you back again soon. ~ Randy M

Reviewed August 10, 2017

The Opeongo water taxi literally saved our lives on the first day of our back country canoe trip on Lake Opeongo. We arrived to treacherous waters (whitecaps and a report of a capsized canoe) and decided to pay the $65 for the taxi to take the two of us (plus our dog) to our site. We had no idea how big the lake was! Our driver patiently took us all over the south arm of the lake, but we couldn't find a vacant camp site despite having a reservation.
She even more patiently provided first aid to my foot when I cut it while we stopped to pick up other passengers! She didn't give up trying to find us a campsite after this pickup and finally found one for us to stay on en route back to the Outfitters. I just wished I remembered her name! Additionally, all other staff we encountered at the Outfitters were just as pleasant and efficient as she was. Thanks guys!
Be mindful that the weather on this lake can change quickly & dramatically - know the sheer size of this lake and plan a back country trip that matches your abilities and time available. It may not be a bad idea to plan for an extra day on your Lake Opeongo back country route in case you have bad weather. Trust me, you don't want to be canoeing on this lake if that happens! Weather withstanding, expect an amazing experience that you will always remember. And don't forget to have a delicious (and generous!) scoop of Kawartha dairy ice cream from the Outfitters store when you return from your adventure!

LarissaRoz, thanks for the 5-Star review, I'm glad you were able to get to your campsite and it seems you had an amazing trip into the backcountry on Lake Opeongo. Glad we could make it more enjoyable with our assistance. Hope to see you again soon, there's lots of Algonquin Park still to explore. ~ Randy M

Reviewed July 23, 2017 via mobile

Attempted canoeing with my young toddler (big mistake). You have to pay a full day rental when you rent the canoe. I was gone maybe 20 minutes because it was impossible to canoe alone with my baby. I was still charged for the entire day. $50 waste of money with no consideration for the fact that I didn't even get to use the canoe for even a half hour.

AORandy, Marketing Manager at Algonquin Outfitters – Opeongo Store & Water Taxi, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2017

Melissa, sorry to hear you could only paddle for maybe 20minutes before having to return. Paddling with young children can be a challenge at time (I have 4 children myself so have seen it all).
Would you mind contacting me at (marketing at algonqinoutfitters dot com) I would like to explore your situation but need some more details to look into this. Typically our rental rates are by the day as most people can enjoy hours worth of paddling from out Lake Opeongo store.
I'd like to offer some type of compensation for your unique situation but need to know a little more details. Alternatively you may be able reach me at the office at 1-705-787-0262 x36.

R a n d y M i t s o n

Algonquin Outfitters
Marketing Director
86 Main Street E,
Huntsville, ON P1H 2C7

Reviewed July 12, 2017

My eight year old daughter and I flew from Vancouver Island (where there are no moose) to Ottawa for a week of Canada Day festivities, with a three day trip to Algonquin Park in the middle with the specific goal of seeing moose, our favourite animal, which neither of us had ever seen aside from one that I'd seen briefly in Quebec when I was a child. As we were coming across the country, travelling light, we couldn't camp, so rather than an overnight canoe trip, I did some research and determined a guided canoe day trip with Algonquin Outfitters was our best bet. Thankfully, on our way to meet our guide at the Opeongo Lake store at 6:45 AM, we saw a beautiful cow moose in a wooded marsh, and took some beautiful photos. The pressure was off! However, I can't say enough wonderful things about our guided trip through the marshy creek at the end of Opeongo Lake. We went in to two canoes, with our guide Emily in one canoe with another guest, and my daughter and me in a second canoe (I'm very experienced). After a 20 minute ride across the lake in a water taxi (motor boat with canoes on top), we entered the marshy creek. We paddled for about 90 minutes, seeing no moose, but Emily pointed out turtles, hawks, and we saw countless active beaver lodges. On our way back to the meet-up point, we saw something far up creek, and we all thought it might be another large beaver lodge, until we saw it move, and up out of the marsh came a large set of antlers. We paddled like Olympians to get close, and we ended up viewing this huge bull moose from about 50 meters away for about five minutes. For my daughter and me, it was a dream come true to see a bull moose, in a marsh, eating lily pads, two days before Canada Day. Emily knew where the moose might be, and got us to that spot. It was perfect. It really could not have been a more perfect trip. If your time is limited, or you're not an expert paddler, and if you want to put yourself in the best position to see moose, definitely do a guided day trip with Algonquin Outfitters. Emily helped create memories that will truly last a lifetime.

1  Thank lemieuxdavid
AORandy, Marketing Manager at Algonquin Outfitters – Opeongo Store & Water Taxi, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2017

lemieuxdavid, so glad we could help make you dream come true with a wildlife viewing trip on Hailstorm Creek. Although it's never a guarantee to see moose it sounds like you had a great encounter, one that you're sure to remember for many years. Glad Emily could help you find some great wildlife for you and your daughter. Trips like this are all about building memories that last a life time.

Hope to see you back again someday soon, maybe your daughter will even one day bring her child to Algonquin Park to share such a great memory.

Cheers ~ Randy M