“Southern cooking at it's best!”
Review of J's Place

J's Place
Ranked #12 of 960 Restaurants in Bakersfield
Cuisines: American
Reviewed May 3, 2018

The food tastes just like old southern cooking. When I don't want to cook, I know I can be satisfied with the choices I make at J's.

1  Thank patriciafY4788QP

Reviewed April 5, 2018 via mobile

J's Place has some great counrty food. I enjoyed the Fried Chicked and waffles. My wife had the same, her opinion wasnt as high as mine, but I really liked mine. Service was very good and friendly. Prices were good too. We'll be back soon.

1  Thank Andy L
Reviewed February 23, 2018

I had been wanting to try this place, and finally got to go for Sunday morning breakfast.
Service was good, we were seated quickly and the waitress was fast and friendly. The atmosphere isn't anything special, but it was clean and the booth we were in was comfortable.
I had the chicken fried steak with J's signature potatoes and sourdough toast. The chicken fried steak was absolutely perfect crispy on the outside and tender inside, and the crust stayed crisp to the end while covered with gravy. The gravy was excellent, very tasty. The only let down were those potatoes, and they had the potential for being great. The potatoes are home fries style, chunks with peppers and onions mixed in, but the potatoes weren't crispy brown like you would expect, they were completely soft and mushy. I could have made a pile of mashed potatoes on my plate with just a couple turns of the fork. Not what you want at breakfast. The curious thing about the menu also was there were no grits listed. Having lived in the south for a few years I can tell you, you will not find a restaurant there that doesn't serve grits, sometimes whether you want them or not.
I will come back though, probably for dinner, I really want to try their fried catfish, which you can get for breakfast if you want.

Reviewed November 9, 2017

Fried Chicken, Fried Pork Chops, Fried Catfish, Hot Sausage in BBQ sauce, Fried Shrimp and BBQ Ribs and we have tried all of the sides. Served with a smile, food is always hot, delicious and don't forget dessert if you have room. And you will always go home with leftovers, cause they serve you so much.

Reviewed November 1, 2017

First of all, they do not serve breakfasts during the week, but do offer lunch and dinner menus all week long. A few retiree friends and I meet here for weekly Saturday breakfasts for several reasons. The waitresses do a great job serving their customers and our coffee cups are always kept full. The serving portions are more than adequate, the entrees I have tried have great down-home cooked tastes and are reasonably priced. The restaurant is conveniently located just off Calloway and Rosedale Hwy. The main dining area is open with several booths along the perimeter and many 4 place tables in the middle that can be arranged to seat larger groups as well. It is not a particularly fancy establishment and can get a bit noisy when full, but the fact that it is usually busy says more about the quality and value we receive. Most likely not everyone will make this a regular eating place, but everyone should try it at least once.

1  Thank JoDan91