All reviews mexican restaurant amtrak station no elevator rabobank arena convention center attached restaurant room was clean downtown bakersfield oatmeal pleasant stay stay there again parking lot great place to stay an older hotel air conditioner long drive free breakfast
Reviewed October 21, 2018 via mobile

Incredible value for money! We booked this on a Friday night with no notice and got an amazing price for this wonderful hotel. We turned up 15 minutes after booking online and checked in straight away with no issues. The service was very good - the staff were so friendly and polite. Our room was awesome and everything you’d expect from a best western... spotlessly clean, spacious, all equipment / beds new and fresh. The location is brilliant as it’s in the nicer area of Bakersfield. We were particularly happy with the parking lot as it was very secure and the others we had seen looked dodgy, so it’s nice to feel comfortable with leaving our car in a safe place.

Solid 4/5 - the only negative comment would be that the server at breakfast was extremely rude and I was just shocked.. demanded my order and then as I began to speak she interrupted me and said ‘just give me a number’... she then shouted ‘listen to me’ when she asked how I wanted my breakfast. She then brought out fruit instead of potatoes with my meal and I asked why, she said they’d ran out of potatoes... only problem is that I’m allergic to fruit and would have told her this if she had taken my order in the first place. BESIDE ALL OF THIS - the food was good and free so I didn’t let it ruin my stay.

Side note

(We originally booked the Econo lodge as it was slightly cheaper... it was so disgusting and scary that we immediately cancelled and demanded a refund) - avoid this like the plague :)

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed October 16, 2018 via mobile

This hotel is quirky and obviously remodeled, but also refreshing. With the large windows and higher than usual ceilings, it feels more open than most hotels. If it had tile floors instead of carpet, it would feel Mediterranean. Upon opening the room door, we were pretty much in the sink area by the restroom. There was a goofy wall behind the mirror that stopped a couple of inches short of the ceiling. Once past the sink area, the room was a nice size, clean, and had a slightly vaulted ceiling. The beds were comfortable, and the WiFi was strong. The bathroom was normal, although there were liquid soap dispensers in the shower rather than soap samples. The room had an old style air conditioner by the window, and the area we were in was quiet.

My mom used the breakfast voucher and was pleasantly suprised to find that it paid for food from the restaurant, instead of the usual continental breakfast. The location is convenient. It is easy to walk to restaurants and other businesses from the hotel. A little creek runs behind the hotel, and a walking trail runs beside it.

I would definitely stay in this hotel again. The cost, location, and general pleasantness of it make it a good deal. If I could change one thing, I’d prefer hard floors (because old carpet never seems quite clean enough).

Trip type: Travelled with family
BWHillHouse, General Manager at Best Western Plus Hill House, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2018

We are thrilled to hear you had an enjoyable stay with us! We appreciate your feedback and look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Reviewed October 14, 2018 via mobile

Very nice room. CLEAN! Comfortable bed, pleasant decor. Friendly, helpful staff. Full, hot breakfast included in the restaurant attached to the hotel, Manuel's Casa Dr Mariacos and it was excellent. Husband had the huevoes rancheros; I had the American breakfast. Excellent, friendly service. Will definitely stay here again when in the area.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Reviewed October 13, 2018

The Hill house location is super convenient if you're traveling by train. It's basically across the street from the station. The room was comfortable and very clean --even if a little dark-- and the staff were friendly. When I stayed, breakfast was cooked to order, and quite tasty -- although the choices were more limited than the usual Best Western breakfast buffet. I would stay there again

• Trip type: Travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you so much for staying with us! We are so glad to hear you had an enjoyable stay with us.

Reviewed October 12, 2018

A very nice Best Western, recently renovated. Comfortable bed in a beautiful room. Quiet and safe. Great onsite Mexican restaurant where we enjoyed both dinner and the hotel's complimentary breakfast.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you so much for staying with us! We hope to have another opportunity to welcome you again in the future.