“Very nice”

Berkeley Rodeway Inn
Ranked #11 of 20 Hotels in Berkeley
Reviewed 11 May 2012

Superclean, nice staff, breakfast with cereal bars and veggie juice, rooms were spotless clean.
Fridge was noisy but that's normal.
First night we had a normal room which was great, second night we had to move to one of their upgraded rooms (got it for the same price). Upgraded room had wooden floor instead of carpet and a massage shower. Personally I liked the normal room better, it seemed newer and cleaner.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank bosbes
Management response:Responded 9 July 2012

We are very pleased that you found the Berkeley Rodeway Inn clean, the staff nice and your room "spotless clean". Thank you for your great review and hope you stay with us again on your next trip to our area.

Reviewed 2 May 2012

I needed a good, quiet, clean, comfortable, affordable place to call home for eight nights in Berkeley, and a colleague, a well-known name in the music biz, recommended this one -- and it delivered. The rooms are smallish, but the beds are big and comfy. Rooms have microwaves and mini-fridges with freezers, wifi and HDTV. Best of all, the rooms and lobby are clean, and I mean immaculate.

My only complaint with the room was the window unit heat, which tended very quickly to overheat the room; then as soon as I'd turn the temp control knob back just enough for the unit to turn off, it wouldn't kick on again until I was freezing and cranked it back up again.

Typical for a smaller motel, you get the basics. No covered parking (in a lot that was often full, leaving me to sometimes park across the lot from my room in sometimes miserably cold, rainy, windy weather); no bellhops; no fitness center; and I don't even remember if there's a pool. I think there is, but it was March in Norcal (brrrr), and I was busy anyway. For those wifi-less travelers, there's a computer in the (tiny) lobby for guest use -- old and slow, but certainly usable.

The staff was always helpful and courteous -- I even locked myself out of my room three times, and no one ever got impatient with me.

Overall, I would recommend this place for anyone seeking a comfortable, clean, friendly place to stay, as long as luxury and full amenities aren't important.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
5  Thank dharmadave2
Management response:Responded 9 July 2012

Thank you for staying at the Berkeley Rodeway Inn for 8 nights. We are pleased that you found our staff helpful and courteous, the room and lobby "immaculate" clean, and that you enjoyed the "big and comfy" bed as well as all of the amenities in your room. Come and visit us again on your next trip to Berkeley!

Reviewed 23 April 2012

We stayed at the Rodeway in Berkeley during spring break for a college tour of Berkeley. It was one of the closest places to the University that was available so we could get there for a tour since the university said there was no parking for visitors. Great location, lots of excellent restaurants near by. However, we were an overbooking, unbeknown to us. As a result, we were forced to move from a two double bed room to a king, plus rollaway because they had a group of 4 adults coming. We never spend a lot of time in the rooms, but these rooms are really tiny, practically wall to wall beds. The management was great, but we would have gone somewhere else if we had know how small the rooms were. Unfortunately, we found out the day we arrived and everything within a 10 mile radius was booked up. If there are two people or small children, this would work, but we were there with our high school junior to look at the university. Getting dressed, going to the bathroom were very difficult. These rooms are okay for two adults and small children, but not three adults.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank hikingteachertustin
Management response:Responded 9 July 2012

Thank you for staying at the Berkeley Rodeway Inn which is a great location for visiting the University and close to excellent nearby restaurants. We are sorry for the overbooking and the inconvenience of your room. Your comments have been forwarded to the appropriate department. We do hope you will stay with us again on your next visit to Berkeley.

Reviewed 21 April 2012

I found this Rodeway to be an oasis in the middle of Berkeley - and the best Rodeway Inn in which I have stayed. It is clean, quiet and well furnished. The king-size bed was very comfortable with a like-new mattress. The lav, wc and tub were spotless and in perfect condition. Also appreciated the cleanliness of the exterior including the covered walk, parking lot and fountains. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Continental breakfast including fresh coffee is quite good, but could be even better with the addition of some protein - hard boiled eggs perhaps.

My wife and I will be staying here on future visits with our son while he completes his academic internship. Yes, this is a solid recommendation!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Peter F
Management response:Responded 9 July 2012

Thank you for the wonderful review and that you found the Berkeley Rodeway Inn an "oasis" in the middle of Berkeley which is clean, quiet and well furnished. We are very pleased to hear that your bed was comfortable and the staff was helpful and friendly. We look forward to your next visit at the "best Rodeway Inn" in which you have stayed. See you soon!

Reviewed 20 April 2012

This was my first stay at the Rodeway Inn in Berkeley. I perform music at the nearby Freight & Salvage Coffeehouse quite frequently when I am in the Bay Area.

I like the convenience of being in the center of Berkeley near both the University and some excellent restaurants within walking distance. The energy from a college town is my favorite. You can find affordable great food fit for those on a budget and quite a variety of ethnic foods from around the world. My favorite was an Italian Restaurant called Divino. Their lasagne was the best of eaten in a long time. They also had a special on Monday nites, all bottles of wine were $15.00 each. I chose the chianti. I was in heaven after that.

The rooms at the Rodeway are small, but if you are going to explore Berkeley and surrounding areas then it shouldn't matter. The staff are very helpful and courteous.

So if you, like me, are looking for a place to sleep comfortably and like the convenience of being in the center of Berkeley, I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Dennis K
Management response:Responded 9 July 2012

It is great to hear that you found the Berkeley Rodeway Inn location convenient for you stay and is in walking distance to the University and some excellent restaurants. We are pleased that you found our staff very helpful and courteous. Thank you for your review and we look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 16 April 2012

Although this motel has good points (good price, apparently clean, good location, friendly staff), there was a suspicious musty smell that might have been mold. Those with respiratory issues might do well to stay away.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
presidioinn, Manager at Berkeley Rodeway Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2012

Since it has been since November that you stayed with us the issue of the musty smell can not be addressed. We do wish this would have been brought to the manager's attention upon your arrival so the problem could have been resolved. Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

Reviewed 14 April 2012

The hotel is just okay overall. It's a good value and a good location.

The rooms are pretty small. I was alone with a king bed so it was okay. The bathroom is VERY small. The water pressure in the shower is awful. It does have a small fridge and microwave. Mine doesn't have a coffee machine but there is coffee in the lobby. The blanket on the bed is the worst fabric ever - not comfy or soft at all.

My room doesn't have a clock, which was odd for me. It's not a huge deal as my phone has an alarm; however, it's odd not to have one. But, the room was clean and totally suitable.

The location is convenient and there is a lot within walking distance. It's very close to UC Berkeley also.

I have to question how much remodeling really went on around here - doesn't look like much upgrading. I speculate that some crown molding and bathroom floor counts as "remodel."

But, overall it's fine for the price and I don't have any huge complaints. It served its purpose.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank lawgoddess

We are pleased to hear that you found your room clean & "totally suitable" as well as the Berkeley Rodeway Inn a good value and location. We are sorry to hear the blanket on the bed was not comfy. Thank you for taking the time to write a review.