“Go Early for Tea-Smoked Salmon and Corn Salad”
Review of Smoke BBQ

Smoke BBQ
Reserve with OpenTable
Smoke BBQ is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #214 of 787 Restaurants in Berkeley
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed March 4, 2017

On our first visit to Smoke, my partner and I ordered ribs and salmon, with baked beans, cole slaw and corn salad as sides. Service was prompt and there were plenty of napkins on the tables. The salmon came on a bed of brown rice with a container of sweet cilantro ginger sauce. It was beautifully cooked and flavorful. I liked the sauce, but my partner preferred the salmon unadorned. The ribs were another story. They were both tough and fatty. I could not detect any evidence of a dry rub and the spicy, flavorful sauce was served only on the side -- the ribs had not been basted with anything. The baked beans and coleslaw were okay, average, nothing special. The corn salad featured corn kernels and feta and was our favorite side of those we tried. We wanted to try a slice of their award-winning chocolate pecan pie, but it had all been sold. They were also out of brisket and ran out of salmon while we were eating ours. I would return for the corn salad and the salmon and to try the pulled pork and the chocolate pecan pie. I would recommend going to lunch or a 5:00 PM dinner to have the best selection.

Reviewed January 17, 2017

Since I Moved to CA from TX, I've been looking for some (what I consider) authentic BBQ. As soon as I learned the owner of Smoke was a Texan, I had to check it out. Sampled the ribs and pulled pork on the first visit, and I can say I'll definitely make the trip to Berkeley again when I feel the need for a BBQ fix.

Reviewed August 18, 2016 via mobile

This is the second time that I have been here. Today, I ordered the brisket plate with a side of baked beans to go. Their hot sauce is very spicy. I ordered the medium. Service was quick today. The brisket was very tasty, but a bit fatty. The baked beans were perfectly done. A small piece of rather dry corn bread is included. Portions are commensurate with the moderate price.

Reviewed July 24, 2016

Easy to locate this restaurant it is next to a coin car wash.
Walking in to order where is the menu? Is the menus in front of you or to right of you or is it to the left of you? The menu is all over the place!
We tried the salmon it was served tepid topped with lemon wedges and a delicious cilantro sauce on the side, this sauce easily kills the flavors of the protein you choose. The mac and cheese was tasty, but not out of this world!
We did sample the baked beans, the beans are not homemade, the beans are out of a can and ingredients thrown in to try and alter the taste, to try and appear to be home made. The corn bread was cold and dry not worth eating, If the bread was warm and served with butter and honey it might have been worth it.
The pork ribs did not seemed to be cooked long enough the outer side of ribs seemed to be cooked, but going deeper into the rib, there was a blood and this just turned us off. The owner's son did bring out more ribs, but they just looked like they were thrown in the microwave and were steaming and really cooked...that is not BBQ!
The staff all seemed exhausted and looked like they were ready to be off work!
Unfortunately this was not amazing BBQ!

Reviewed July 20, 2016 via mobile

Me and my husband shared a plats with 3 different meat; beef brisket, pulled pork and ribs. We also jag chocolate pecanpie. Everthing was really good. Their "beergarden" is neighbour to a carwash, so you overlooked some washing.