“GREAT BBQ, SAUCE ON THE SIDE”
Review of K C Barb-Q

Ranked #337 of 793 Restaurants in Berkeley
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed November 17, 2015 via mobile

I love well-prepared BBQ meats that stand alone even without the sauce. KC BBQ is a good example of this. Very moist and tender Pork Ribs, Chicken, and Brisket. Sides are good. While the sauce is good, get it on the side so that you can savor the meat without the sauce drowning out the smoky flavor. Interesting decor of Black Memorabilia.

Date of visit: November 2015

Reviewed September 12, 2015

This place has been the same for at least the 20 years I've been going.

The pork ribs are amazing, and the price per slab is good. I get the sauce on the side since I'm not in love with it. The links are second best. Then the brisket. Chicken is pretty dry.

If you got and get a slab of ribs, you will experience greatness.

Date of visit: September 2015
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Thrilled to discover a "Ribs joint" - one Friday night ... there was some foot traffic - a good sign. Placed our order - noted the fun and funky - very eclectic decor. Ribs were average, the beans were- possibly canned? Also two pieces of white bread included...we were under impressed.

Date of visit: May 2013
1  Thank Kerry D
Reviewed March 6, 2011

Two of us ate dinner here for the first time last month while staying in Berkeley. The menu is fairly simple with offerings to include chicken, ribs, hot links and beef. My husband had a platter with three items; links, ribs and beef and I had a two item platter of ribs and beef. All of the meat was very tasty. Sides included potatoe salad, beans and white bread. I am not a fan of potatoe salad so had a double order of beans which were just okay. I am not a fan of bland, white bread, but I realize it is often served with barbeque. The meat was well smoked and the ribs were so tender that the meat fell from the bone. Although they were tasty, they were a bit fattier than I would like. I preferred the beef which was leaner. The barbeque sauce that covered the meat was also good with a hint of spiciness. My husband really enjoyed all of his food. The portions are good sized and I was unable to finish my platter. I was a little disappointed with the dessert offerings which were single serving cakes wrapped in plastic on the counter. It did not look like they had been made at the restaurant. But, I probably did not need dessert any way since I was so full from all the meat. The atmosphere at this restaurant is really a kick. It is a bit of a museum with old stoves, canning jars with vegetables, typewriters, pictures, knick knacks and other furnishings from a bygone era. A fun place to look at while waiting for the meal to come. The restaurant has been serving since 1968 and is supposedly named KC after the original owner's home town of Kansas City. We would come back if in the area as the food and atmosphere were enjoyable here.

Date of visit: February 2011
Reviewed July 25, 2009

funky but clean - BBQ as good as any in the Bay Area. For me the reason to go is the links. Absolutely wonderful.