“HORRENDOUS - avoid at all costs!”

Hotel Shattuck Plaza
Ranked #1 of 20 Hotels in Berkeley
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 5 April 2012

Check in staff unfriendly and unhelpful. Made us feel like we were in the way from the moment we stepped through the doors. No hotel info on check in, nothing in the room, no coffee machine, not even water. We asked for a coffee machine and were told 'they were limited so we probably wouldn't get one'.
Room service and the front desk didn't answer the phones for over 20 mins (it was only 8.50 in the evening), despite me trying repeatedly. Eventually I had to go down in person to the front desk to try and speak to someone. When asked why they weren't answering the phones, all they said was "we don't know anything about that" despite the fact that one of them was the manager.
No vegetarian food options apart from 1 pasta dish - pasta in tomato sauce. I checked before booking that there were veggie options and was told there were many, it being Berkeley and everything. They lied.
This hotel was worse than the Palace in SF and they fed us meat (we're veggies) and gave us food poisoning!.
Avoid this hotel, you won't be a valued guest. You'll just be in the way of everyone there. They wont thank you for it.
Oh and the air con in the room was broken.

Room Tip: This section asked me for tips to help fellow travellers choose a good room. My tip is choose a roo...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank A B
Greg M, General Manager at Hotel Shattuck Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2012

We were surprised to receive this review as it is not the sort of feedback we typically receive. Nevertheless, we regret that this guest left so disappointed. Since receiving the feedback via Trip Advisor we have been reviewing every aspect to learn how we could have done better and to prevent a similar experience in the future. One area we are looking into is the late night dining room service menu. At the time the guest requested food service we only had our afterhours options for food; Chef is looking at providing other options for vegetarians. It is my understanding that we did provide fruit, a cheese plate and sodas complimentary since there was nothing to offer that met their dietary requirements. As for the phones not being answered, we realized that we had a very busy evening in the lobby and we will do better as no call should go unanswered. We remain committed to providing a compelling experience and will continue to embrace all feedback as it is the only way to improve.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Shattuck Plaza

996 - 1,002 of 1,311 reviews

Reviewed 5 April 2012

I've stayed here on 3 different occasions over the past 18 months and have enjoyed the stay every time. I've been here both for business and pleasure and the rooms are very nice, clean, well laid out, and updated. The staff is excellent and the food & drinks I've had in the hotel restaurant have been very good as well.

Another nice feature is that the hotel is about a half block from BART. My wife and I hopped on BART on a Saturday morning around 8AM and we were literally in downtown San Francisco within about 20 minutes at the Embarcadero station.

There's also a very good ice cream store just outside the hotel on Shattuck that had $1 scoops. I love a deal ;)

Room Tip: The hotel is located on the rather busy/active Shattuck Avenue so rooms along the Shattuck Avenue si...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 April 2012

I travel for business. A lot. My work often takes me to Berkeley, where there are many fine options for lodging. My favorite, by far, is the Hotel Shattuck Plaza.

The building has undergone a beautiful restoration, and from the deco-inspired lobby with gorgeous red chandelier, to the bright and clean stairwells, the property is extremely well maintained.

Check in is always quick, easy, and smile-filled. Rooms are well-appointed, and, while on the small side compared to the (blah) national chain hotels, are always very comfortable. The linens, pillows, towels - all top notch. The eco-friendly bath products are an appreciated touch. My only gripe with the bathrooms is the lack of counter space due to the crucible-style sinks. A shelf or two to store toiletries would be a great addition.

Getting around the Bay area from this location couldn't be easier, with the BART station right out front and numerous bus stops within a few blocks. Food options abound, movie theater right next door, drug store across the street for last-minute needs. Walking distance to UC Berkeley, Telegraph Ave., etc.

The staff of the Shattuck are always so pleasant and willing to help you in any way they can, without a drop of poor attitude. My favorite aspect of this hotel.

Don't hesitate to book a stay here. You'll love it!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 March 2012

We stayed at the Shattuck Plaza for six days in March, 2012. The good stuff: beautiful decoration, excellent service and help at the front desk, great location - I took BART back and forth to SF easily - and the restaurant was certainly fine.

The notsogood stuff: spotty WIFI access, a room service lunch that was not up to par. The bathroom "door" was odd...and gave very little privacy.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank deena w
Reviewed 22 March 2012

The hotel was clean, and quite fresh in carpets/look. It was also conveniently located to UCal, and the BART. However, the rooms were small (like the old days in NY City), and the fitness center was minimal. The restaurant, "Five", was very good for breakfast, and quite busy in the evening (each night, but I did not eat there) so I assume it was popular. Service was friendly and nice. - Overall, nice, but not great or anything special.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the bay/ San Fran. Quite nice to see -- You will need to be on top floors.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 March 2012

but also easy into SF, 1/2 block to BART, much better bargain than comparable properties in Union Square. Very friendly helpful staff. Rooms are smallish, this is an older building (but fully updated). Bathroom door has translucent window, disconcerting to watch your significant other use the room.

Room Tip: Shattuck St is always noisy, try for room inside/upper floors/side street
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 March 2012

I stayed at this hotel about a year ago, I was quite surprised. Excellent service and friendly staff, grab and go breakfast was a great feature (coffee was excellent). I loved the unique aspects of this hotel it very much exemplifies and captures Berkeley's unique feeling. I loved the marble baths and the marble peace sign designed into the marble floor when you come into the hotel. Anyway I highly recommend this place!!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
Greg M, General Manager at Hotel Shattuck Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2012

Thank you for the positive review. Based on similar feedback, we are adding coffee makers to all of our Cityscape rooms now and our plaza view rooms next. We will continue to explore the viability of offering them in all of our other rooms.