“Was better 3 years ago”
Review of Mr. Chow

Mr. Chow
Reserve with OpenTable
Mr. Chow is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #68 of 364 Restaurants in Beverly Hills
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighbourhood: Beverly Hills
Cross street: Wilshire & Brighton Way
Reviewed August 24, 2018 via mobile

My daughters and I had a girls trip to Beverly Hills in 2015 and ate here. The food and staff were wonderful. This time we brought my husband and our 4 year old. We let them bring us their best/favorite dishes with a request one be duck. It was very disappointing. Nothing was outstanding and chairs are so uncomfortable. The staff was pleasant but venue in general just eh.

For the money, there are much better options. Catch LA was our favorite this trip. In price they were comparable but food was 1000% better at Catch. We were just looking for a fun venue for our teenagers and we won’t return to Mr. Chow

Date of visit: July 2018

Reviewed August 16, 2018 via mobile

This place is stuck in a very bad time-warp. 1980s black-lacquer ambience, the whole place needs a facelift. It's almost like you expected a waterbed with a mirrored headboard to be over in the corner The food was the most flavorless Chinese food I have ever had. Between three of us, we ordered about 10 dishes to share, and the only things that were decent were the soup dumplings and the green beans. Tables were so close together, they had to pull the entire table out for you to get out of your seat if you were sitting on the bench. Service was pretty good, but the whole thing was just overall super weird.

1  Thank Vagabond76
Reviewed August 14, 2018

I am a huge fan of Mr Chow's London, and so I thought I give this one a try.

This place is all about your expectations. If you are expecting authentic Chinese food this is obviously not the right spot... there are zillions of places that offer real authentic Chinese​ cuisine in LA at a fraction of the price.

If you want to try to see famous people and feel fancy while eating some REAL good food then this place works. Of course it is expensive... that's the point, as is the attitude of the staff. It's almost expected ;-)

Would I go again (a four star mandatory with me)? Maybe. However, three stars would not do justice - and I do not want to be ranked in with "the others" who came and just did not understand the concept - and it's price point. Mr Chow is special. That's what you come for. If you comprehend, you'll love it here. If you remotely think of comparing to that family run little chinese gem you found somewhere, better stay away. Not because Mr Chow could not compare - they do not wish to compare.

Why not five stars then? In my personal rating, I do not compare - I have a check list. For five stars, it's key that I would be prepared to make a 30+ min detour to eat there. While I tremendously​ enjoyed each time I have been, I would still favour the London one - and so four stars is all I can give.

Reviewed August 12, 2018 via mobile

I have eaten, sometimes often at Mr. Chow,for more than 30,years and never been disappointed. Literally every dish is a delight. If you can get in and the attention of a talented server you will have the time of your life.

Reviewed August 10, 2018 via mobile

We were a table of 9 and thus spent well over $1000. If the prices had been more reasonable, perhaps I would have gone with a 3 rating but, unsure. With regards to the food, I struggle to note which dish stood out as tasty. Perhaps the water dumplings. Very good taste. We ordered SEVERAL dishes, none of which provided any real excitement. Chicken satay ...bland. Chicken wraps....more bland even though it was made from the chicken satay dish. Rest of our food were recommended fish dishes...again none really worth mentioning. Perhaps it is a place to be seen, not to eat...