“posh hotel, great staff - celebrity sightings”

The Beverly Hills Hotel
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Beverly Hills
Reviewed 27 November 2009

As casn be expected for the price of a room here, the place is gorgeous and the staff is fantastic. The hotel is located at the top of Rodeo Drive and Sunset blvd. The rooms are very comfortable and the staff is very helpful and extremely polite. Some of the guests on the other hand leave a little to be desired in their manners.
We saw 3 celebrities at the hotel while there, so its definitely a good place to hang out. The polo lounge (main restaurant) is a hot spot. The celebrities mostly stay in the bungalows I think, so if you sit outside the polo lounge by the 2 computer rooms, you will very likely see people walk by. The gym is decent and the spa was nice. The pool was pretty cold at this time of the year. They provide fruit in your room everyday and cookies at turndown time. If someone else is paying, I'll definitely go back.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,220)

Reviewed 10 October 2009

I have to start off by saying this is the best hotel I have stayed at anywhere in the world. It has become a favourite after just one stay... Every aspect was impeccable and what a tremendous birthday experience. This place was first class all the way.

Driving up to the hotel, the grounds made us feel like I had entered another world. We arrived early from the airport and the friendly hotel staff arranged our room for us, hours before the scheduled arrival time. The hotel was extremely well kept, it appears as though it had been recently refurbed.

Our room was fantastic - a deluxe with balcony (with great lounge chairs and dining table to soak up the california sun). It is by far better than a junior suite anywhere else. The bath was great - deep and relaxing and the bathroom had a great set of amenities provided.

We had dinner and breakfast at the hotel during our stay and the service was absolutely first rate. Certainly not over the top like a lot of places in the US can be with people pitching for tips, it was very friendly, prompt and you were never made to feel inferior (even if you weren't a movie star). Everyone seemed to be incredibly treated well, with smiles all round.

We got a birthday cake, card and fruit delivered for my birthday which was a lovely touch - and it tasted great. The limo driver was more than happy to take you anywhere you wanted to go and collect you (which was a little surreal!)

The pool area is to die for. -with cabanas and underwater music. Every detail in this hotel is done extraordinarily well. I bought one of their fluffy robes which are gorgeous and every time I wear it I think about our 2 nights in paradise.

We stayed for 2 nights and the greatest shame was not staying longer. We had pre booked and paid at another hotel and this was a terrible mistake. Had I known how lovely this hotel was I would have stayed as long as possible as it made you feel like you are in a lovely oasis. I will definately return without any hesitation on future trips and would highly recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bella_oes1
Reviewed 2 October 2009

First of all, let me say that I love the BHH. It ranks as one of my top 3 favourite hotels in the world. The staff are charming, remember my name, and the service is always six star. And once you get over how much the pool boys love themselves above all else, they are actually quite friendly boys. (Mike rules that pool.....)

But the reason I preferred the LondonWestHollywood on my last stay was the complimentary upgrade, the amazingly spacious room and a walk in shower which had a shower head taller than I am. Thank you for recognising that we are not all Japanese!

My last 2 stays in the BHH saw me in a room with a fireplace (lovely, although it was August) but a bathroom built for a tiny little lady - a combo bath/shower (which I hate) and a showerhead fixed about 4.5 feet from the floor. I am a normal 5'11 and I don't think - at these rates - I should have to stoop to have a shower. When I called the front desk to ask about a move to a room I had enjoyed once (I think it was 201) I was told that the room to which I referred was not available and was in a different rate category.

BHH: the correct response was to recognise my loyalty to your hotel and move me. Please persuade 'the Ruler' to spend some money overhauling those little old lady bathtubs. You need to keep up with the competition in town, believe it or not.

As I love pools, I am going to try the Beverly Hilton next time. And I've checked, they have walk-in showers.

Star point about the BHH: Ruthie and the wonderful staff in the cafe downstairs. Superlative banana pancakes. Complimenti!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank DiscerningIrish
Reviewed 30 September 2009

My wife and I stayed here for two nights in September 2009. We were massively impressed by our arrival and check in; within five minutes of arriving our car had been valet parked, we had been greeted by name at reception and were settled in our room. This high level of service continued throughout our stay and exceeded anything I've experienced at other hotels in the past.

The bedroom was a good size and was beautiful and very sympathetic to the hotel's age and style. The only time that we ate in the hotel was breakfast (which was included in our package) and we were impressed with the quality of both the coffee shop and room service. We liked the flexibility that with the breakfast package we could have eaten in a number of different areas at the hotel (including the Polo lounge) and just paid any supplement (but the $40 per person was more than enough for our needs). We also had a drink in the bar where there were some interesting cocktails and is a very nice place to watch the sun setting over LA.

We sat out by the pool on a number of occasions; I don't know if it was the time of year but the pool area was pretty much deserted and, whilst that suited us, it also meant that the pool service I've read about didn't really materialise, although we did get given jugs of water. We also used the fitness centre, not huge, but a decent range of fitness equipment.

Overall, I'd strongly recommend this hotel to anyone considering staying there albeit with the proviso that it is very expensive. If one thing irritated it was that despite paying $600 a night including taxes, they still wanted to charge little extras like $10 for daily internet access plus the valet parking charges (in addition to all the valet gratuities) which seems a little unnecessary at those room rates, especially as internet access is free in many chain hotels!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gavin P
Reviewed 9 September 2009

Arrived early and had lunch by the pool waiting for our room. Poolside food is not befitting of the hotel's status - very average indeed! On the whole amenities and service as expected from class. Valets and concierge staff helpful and friendly. Expensive panama hat stolen/mislaid between baggage cart and our room - the mysterious Beverly Hills Hat Burglar! Anyway have been promised a replacement when their stock of BHH panamas is replenished - not sure I'll hold my breath. Suffers a little from fact that owner has never visited. Memo to Sultan of Brunei: Stop using classy hotels as playthings - if you can't be bothered to be hands on then sell to somebody who can!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ed-Scotia
Reviewed 29 August 2009

The Beverly Hills Hotel has quite the rep, which is why on impulse I took my 20 something year old daughter and her best friend there for a night of splurging. Arriving at valet was a bit confusing..lots of handsome young actor wannabes replete with tan and teeth scrambling to open doors, which I think the girls actually liked! Upon entering the lobby one is struck by that feeling of old world I suppose, very pretty in a gauzy kind of bygone way.
The check in desk was 'tres' busy and seemingly preoccupied..sort of made us feel like we were checking into a Holiday inn on tour. While I was completing the process, the girls said I missed a brush with Paris Hilton and her latest beau, right behind me, winding her way evidently to the lounge. Seeing Paris wasnt so exciting.. [why not Kate or Leo?.].We have had Paris sightings at the Ivy., Koi, and....no wait ...where haven't we seen Paris?..she obviously isnt trying to avoid papparazzi.. why else would she be walking thru a jam packed reception area? It did lend a bit of joie d'vivre to this experience for the girls. So typically Bev Hills style I suppose. [I am an east coaster not easily impressed by willowy shoppaholic starlets].
Our room on the 4th floor down a loooooong hallway . I liked the old fashioned key instead of a flimsy plastic card. Nice and not unexpected touch.The room itself was OK nice.. certainly no knock out and on the small side.. the bathroom with its curtain draped frilliness and gold [aging brass] fixtures reminded me of ZaZa Gabor's boudoir!!! [ie more than a bit outdated]. Our view actually looked down on one of the patio rooms below, where people pay and extra hundred or so dollars to be seem from the rooms above?? The queen size bed however was sumptuously outfitted with the requisite down comforter and myriad of feather pillows encased in crisp linens. Dreamy! When we called for a roll away bed for my daughters friend it was brought to us right away which was nice. We settled in for a night of chick flicks and room service burgers which, though of course exhoribitantly expensive, were quite good..after all this was no Mickey D's night!
Unfortunately, the gold handled toilet proceeded to run all night..by the time we were ready to turn in, and noticed how annoying it was, we were all too sleepy and 'pajam-ed' to want to deal with maintenance coming to our room so we decided to let this one thing go. [besides it was 1 am]. Finally in the middle of the night I stuck a banana..yes, a banana, in the workings to silence the damn flapper.. or something default...which seemed to do the trick. [but it was 4am]. Then not being able to go back to sleep I decided to take a soporific soak in the bath tub with the frilly curtains..well the drain stopper was broken so in order to get the tub to fill to a reasonably comfortable level I had to scrunch a wash cloth down into the gold rimmed drain... I learned this trick at interstate stays in Motel 6 back in my leaner college days!! We overslept the next morning making the rush to check out time tough [this was a Sunday afterall] so I called down to the front desk to ask for an extension on check out and got a crisp sounding young woman who promptly denied us! When I told her it was the least they could do since the toilet and tub were less than perfection for us at those prices.. she begrudgingly gave us 30 minutes...no apology/attempt to compensate/ what so ever. After we checked out we tried to have lunch at the diner which was packed with standing room only. The other dining room, we were told, was closed for some lofty celebrity's soire.[ I think perhaps a scrapbooking party.?], so we headed for the pool area to grab a quick sandwich. Chaos ensued or so it seemed! All those waiters in their white "Love Boat" looking attire running around like chickens with their heads cut off and sweat filled brows proved quite entertaining until we were so hungry we were ready to eat the napkins..that and watching other diners trying to do that "oh I am not really looking" Hollywood sneak peek to see who was walking thru the door..well after all ..this WAS beverly Hills 90210. However,Now that we have had the experience..we can save our bucks and have a working tub and toilet at the new Palomar in Westwood or the Luxe off Rodeo! Thanks BHH but no thanks. If you have the money to blow 'go for it' just for the experience but you just might find a banana stuck in your toilet!

• Stayed: March 2009
5  Thank patty w
Reviewed 27 August 2009

My first stay at this infamous hotel and it was lovely. Rooms were very comfortable, the pool is lovely (although you basically have to be down there by 9:30 am to get chairs or else they will place you on a waiting list), and the food was delicious.
Our only hiccup was check in - we arrived just before noon, was told our room wasn't ready yet. We went out for lunch and came back around 4ish and our room still wasn't ready. When they tried up upgrade us, that room was then unavailable. Finally, they gave us a free drink in the Polo Lounge while we waiting some more. I was a little irritated by the wait, particularly when my colleagues were getting their rooms when they went to the desk.
I particularly enjoyed the diner for breakfast, and the food at the pool was very good. Drinks at the club in the evening were around $40 for two cocktails. Additionally, there are only two public computers which were VERY slow. Overall it was a very nice stay, but you pay a lot for staying at this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beverly Hills
The Peninsula Beverly Hills
The Peninsula Beverly Hills
#2 of 15 in Beverly Hills
Beverly Hills
Beverly Wilshire Beverly Hills (A Four Seasons Hotel)
Westside
#3 of 15 in Beverly Hills
The Beverly Hilton
The Beverly Hilton
#9 of 15 in Beverly Hills

Been to The Beverly Hills Hotel? Share your experiences!