“Solid Mexican fare”

Price range: US$7 - US$16
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed September 3, 2018 via mobile

We sat out on the patio, great place in the summertime. The food is good. We had carnitas salad, many different tacos all were delicious. The service was excellent.

Reviewed August 25, 2018 via mobile

Attractive restaurant in old town. Extensive menu of traditional and slightly more unusual Mexican fare. Liked the help your self salsa bar for the free chips you get as you're seated. Both our meals were very good although could have been a little hotter in temperature and spicier. Good size portions. Friendly and prompt service. Would eat here again.

Reviewed August 24, 2018

A great place to have lunch/brunch sitting outside on the balcony.

The food is very authentic Meixcan and very freshly cooked.

Usually I do not like music playing when I eat but actually the music playing in the background with a mexican flavour was both relaxing, and set at a low volume it enhanced the dining experience.

I had the enchillads which were excellent. We had some tortillas to start with our drinks, salsa is not served at the table, so you have to walk inside to the display case to choose your salsa, and their were several excellent options to choose from.

The service was excellent and I highly recommend El Jacalito Grill. We will definately revisit when we return for our next vacation to Big Bear.

I hope you find this review helpful.

Reviewed August 23, 2018 via mobile

Arrived around 5pm during the week. Got to sit on the patio. Great waitress, very attentive and cheerful. Food was delicious! Great salsa bar! A golden gem I would say. Try to eat outside on the patio. Inside quite warm.

Reviewed August 15, 2018 via mobile

With all the hyped reviews, I was looking forward to a amazing Mexica dining experience. Sadly my visit left me flat, not much better than fast food Mexican.

The signature house Margarita was largely tasteless - very forgettable.

The Guacamole was delicious
The self serve salsa bar was terrible - nothing had any seasoning.

A problem with flavor kept going into the shrimp fajitas. Everything was present, except flavor - the shrimp, vegetables, corn tortillas, rice and beans - all lacked seasoning.

Didn’t appreciate the dishwasher dragging the stinking kitchen garbage through the dining room - put me off eating completely.

Southern California his so many authentic and amazing Mexican restaurants- sadly this isn’t one of them.