See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed March 14, 2011

We had to leave a different cabin rental (whole other review) late at night and were looking for a place to stay other than a motel. We stopped at Lakefront Cottages, but they had just rented out their last cabin. She gave us the number to Black Bear Cottages. I called desperate for a warm bath, a glass of wine, and a good nights sleep as it was 10pm on a cold Saturday night. Sharon let us know what was available and with what ammenities. The rate she gave us was very reasonable! When we got to the cabin, we were very pleasantly surprised! We were in Cabin #1. It has a nice jacuzzi tub for two, full kitchen, and rustic fireplace. It was a great weekend and the best we've slept in weeks! It is right on a road with cars zipping by at 40mph, but it didn't keep us up. The kitchen had some ants, but nothing too bad. Water pressure was low, but that's pretty universal for Big Bear. I would highly recommend this place for people who want a cozy romantic getaway for not too much money. Thank you, Sharon of Premeire Properties!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank easyguytoughwife
Reviewed March 30, 2010

Black Bear Cottages is actually pretty amazing. First, the office is pretty easy to find and the staff is actually quite friendly. Their office is not the most up-to-date in looks, but the staff was professional and very helpful! Check-in was extremely easy - we were in and out in 5 minutes. They provided the address for the cabin a very helpful map to help find the cabin. When we arrived at the cabin, we were amazed. The cabin was really nice from the outside and the view was spectacular! The trip was in March, and there was no snow, but it was spectacular nonetheless. When we entered the cabin, we were very pleased. Sitting on the counter was a nice little container with chocolates and a note thanking us for our business. There was coffee there for us as well. The cabin was extremely clean! There were plenty of clean blankets in the loft and the beds were clean as well. The only thing that kind of sucked was that the description upon booking said there was cable, and when we tried to turn on the TV it didn't work. However, they offer DVD's at their office so we went an rented one for the low price of FREE! I am extremely content with Black Bear Cottages. Also, you have to dispose of your own trash :) but it is extremely simple process and the nice little map they give you at check-in really helps. I will definitely do business with them again!

• Stayed: March 2009
1  Thank JeskaS05
Reviewed February 17, 2010

This trip was such a disaster I barely know here to begin. The first thing to know is that John (manager/owner?) is a complete nightmare. He has ZERO customer service skills and has no idea how to run a hospitality business. Following is an overview of our experience: My boyfriend and I went to Big Bear to ski over a long weekend. As we were driving up to the mountain (from LA), we got a call from John telling us that the pipes were frozen and he didn't know if we would have water. He said that he was working on it but wouldn't guarantee anything. Since we were already more than halfway there, we decided to go for it. We popped into the Black Bear Cottage office when we got into town to check on the status of the cabin (as John asked us to do). John said that the repair person had not yet gone to our cabin and asked us if we would take the key to the cabin and wait for him. This seemed a bit odd to us...weren't we paying for this place? Why are we responsible for waiting around for the repair person? When we told John that we were actually hoping to go grab some food, he said "Listen, do you want running water in your cabin or not?! The office is really busy today and I don't have time to drive to the cabin and give him the keys. I'm trying to help you out!" Um, ok. So we drove to the cabin and waited for about 2 hours until the repair person showed up and fixed the problem. At that point, we thought the problem was fixed so we were happy. The next day, however, when we tried to shower, we realized that the problem wasn't fixed. The water pressure in the shower was barely more than a drip. After a long day of skiing, all we wanted to do was take a nice hot shower. No such luck. We called John to let him know about the issue and he responded with "well, there's nothing I can do about it now. I'll see if I can give you a discount on the room." This was unacceptable to us and we told him so. He shot back with "I am eating dinner with my family!! There is nothing I can do about the shower now! If you don't stop talking about it I am going to hang up on you!" We couldn't believe it. We were incredibly disappointed. We weren't able to shower the entire weekend. The cabin itself was decent but a little run down and there were ants all over the kitchen. Also, the TV was tiny and didn't work very well. (The cabin wasn't cheap by the way). What makes all of this all worse is that we got engaged over the weekend, so one of our happiest days will always be a bit shadowed by a black cloud. I know that there are a lot of great reviews about this place. I wouldn't be surprised if John wrote them himself. His guilty conscience is so apparent in the lengthy "owner responses." I'm sure he will try to justify this one as well. My advice is to book with another company.

Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank lucite22
Reviewed February 14, 2010

My friends and I rented two cottages this past Friday for one night and we wanted to stay longer!!!!!!! We were very happy with how cute the cottages were and how there was immaculate attention to detail. Everything was really clean and pretty and the beds are amazing. My friends and I had a great time. Thank you Cher!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank SGLA
Reviewed March 17, 2009

Everything was better than what was advertised. We stayed there for my husbands pre deployment leave & the management went above & beyond to satisfy my family. The cabin was spotless, beds were amazing, & the location was more than ideal. We were walking distance from nearly everything you could want. John even gave us a great deal for my husband being in the service! I can't express my gratitude enough. I will be going back this summer & I am absolutely booking thru this company again.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family