All reviews black beans sofa winter cabin lake
Reviewed February 14, 2010

My friends and I rented two cottages this past Friday for one night and we wanted to stay longer!!!!!!! We were very happy with how cute the cottages were and how there was immaculate attention to detail. Everything was really clean and pretty and the beds are amazing. My friends and I had a great time. Thank you Cher!

Date of stay: February 2010
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank SGLA
Reviewed March 17, 2009

Everything was better than what was advertised. We stayed there for my husbands pre deployment leave & the management went above & beyond to satisfy my family. The cabin was spotless, beds were amazing, & the location was more than ideal. We were walking distance from nearly everything you could want. John even gave us a great deal for my husband being in the service! I can't express my gratitude enough. I will be going back this summer & I am absolutely booking thru this company again.

Date of stay: March 2009
Reviewed February 26, 2009

I found Black Bear Cottages online after researching for my families trip to Big Bear California. I liked what I saw on the website, so I decided to book a cabin from them. The transaction went smoothly over the phone, but when I got there it was a different story. First of all ,their office is dirty and small and the employees are not very pleasant. After I signed the many forms they require, I was told that I should put the chains on my car because the cabin is on a steep hill. When we got to the street our cabin was on, the road was full of ice. We tried to get our van up the hill, but it was too steep and the turn into the driveway was too sharp. We ended up sliding and hitting a snow bank, damaging our car. Mind you my two small children were in the car when this happened. I called the office and told them what had happened. They sent their maintenance guy out to help us. After about 15 minutes we got out of the snow bank and drove back to the office. When I went inside the guy very rudely said "well what do you want me to do?" I told him I wanted another cabin that was not on such a steep hill. I also told him that it should have been disclosed on the website that the particular cabin I booked was on a steep hill and a 4 wheel drive might be needed to get to the cabin. He then said : "Ma'am you are in the mountains in the middle of winter. What did you expect?" I told him had I known the cabin was on such a steep hill, I wouldn't have booked it in the first place. I know that I am from San Diego and am not experienced driving in the snow. Then he went on to say that he could put me in another cabin, but it would cost me more money. By this time I was fuming and wanted to cancel my cabin altogether. We couldn't though because we would have been out over $400. So, I reluctantly paid the extra $100 for another cabin. He also made another rude comment about how they were working on the original cabin all day to get it ready for us. Anyway, the original cabin I had booked was within walking distance of the village. The new one he put us in was in Moonridge. It is not too far from the Village and lake, but you can't walk to it, you have to drive. The cabin itself was nice, clean and neat. The only thing that bothered me was the website boasted of thick towels and gourmet coffee. If that is what you are expecting don't hold your breath. We got scratchy hotel towels and Maxwell house coffee. Oh and don't ask for extra towels or toilet paper. You will get a rude comment from the employees about how all of that should be in the cabin already. They also make you take your own trash away to a dumpster. Not sure if that is a regular practice for renting a cabin, but I thought it was ridiculous. They also charged us almost $100 more for taxes and cleaning fees when we made the reservation. I would not recommend renting a cabin from this place! There are many other companies to choose from that will probably treat you better. We talked to a few locals about Black Bear Cottages and they said they hear bad stuff about them all the time. Try somewhere else, you will probably be happier.

Date of stay: February 2009
4  Thank SoCalFamily0475
Black_Bear_Cottages, Owner at Black Bear Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2009

This guest originally booked a different cabin on a flat street but called us back because they wanted the least expensive cabin we had that would fit her size family. Even though she booked it just the day before arrival and we specifically told her of our cancellation policy which states that there are no refunds for reservations made within 72 hours of arrival and that includes no room changes, we still changed cabins for her just hours before their scheduled arrival. The cabin we moved them to was on a short but relatively steep street. Knowing this can be difficult for anyone who is not used to driving in snow or ice, we put a specific notice on the web page for this cabin that clearly states “This cabin is located on a steep street that is not regularly plowed by the city. Access can be difficult in winter conditions. Four wheel drives or chains may be needed.” We also include a notice on our confirmation Emails that we send to EVERY guest warning them about winter driving conditions and also include a highlighted link to road and weather conditions. We do this because we don’t like to have our guests encounter unexpected problems. And please keep in mind that most other rental agencies don’t include specific warnings like this in their descriptions.

In order to do as much as possible to help this guest get access, 2 of our maintenance people spent several hours each on that property earlier that day doing nothing but snow and ice removal. The driveway and all walkways were completely cleared of all snow and ice. We cannot be responsible for the public street but we wanted to do as much as we could.

The guest arrived after dark. This can make it even more difficult because the snow melts all day long, then the runoff freezes after dark making it slippery. As far as our office being “dirty and small”, I plead guilty to having a small office. Our business has grown and we have nearly outgrown our current space but in this tough economy we are trying to save as much money as possible (and passing that along to our guests) so we are staying in our office. They arrived at the beginning of one of the busiest weekends of the year and we had just received a shipment of supplies, some of which were stacked in the guest reception area. Not dirty but perhaps a little cluttered. I’m surprised the guest said our employees were rude because I overheard this guest being checked in and both the guest and our employee who checked her in were enjoying a pleasant conversation. As far as the “many forms” the guest referred to, we have only one form plus a receipt that we ask guests to sign. I doubt it would be any different anywhere else she might have stayed.

The cabin was just around the corner from our office and not long after she left, we got a call from her saying she was having trouble getting from the street into the driveway and was literally screaming at our check-in person (I could hear her voice over the phone from 6 feet away) and accusing us of “jeopardizing the safety of her children”. I immediately sent over our maintenance supervisor who luckily had stopped by our office for another reason. He went right over and did what he could to help but the guest did not have chains on both drive wheels so he was unable to get her van onto the driveway. We notify all guests that chains may be required during winter months and this guest only had them on one wheel which is not adequate for winter driving in the mountains. She returned to the office and I was the one who helped her at that point. The only other cabin I had available was a little bit more expensive than the one she rented. I explained that it was not our policy to switch cabins unless there was something mechanically wrong with the unit they had originally rented. I further explained that driving in the mountains in winter can be difficult which is why we posted several warnings in places the guest could not possibly avoid seeing. However, even though it is against our policy, I offered her this other cabin but she wanted it at the same price as the smaller one she had booked. Since the reason for the switch was not our fault, I did not offer to discount the other cabin. If we had a cheaper cabin available, I would have been glad to switch the guest to that one but we did not have such a cabin available.

The guest claimed the coffee was Maxwell House. I’m afraid she is mistaken. We provide free Starbucks coffee in each of our cabins. I have cases of it in my office and we don’t stock or use any other brand. I know the Starbucks coffee was in the cabin because I personally inspected the cabin earlier that afternoon. The towels we use are thicker than any I have seen in other rental units. I have to admit to being confused at this guest complaining about them since she stole several of them.

I sincerely apologize for the guest feeling any of our employees had been rude. I am the owner of the agency and I overheard the conversation with my employee and there was no rudeness at all. When the guest returned, I was the one who helped her and I am the one who mentioned that driving in the mountains in the winter can pose difficulties but the guest again accused me of jeopardizing the safety of her children. I am not perfect and we all make mistakes, but I would point out the other positive reviews we have had where more than one individual pointed out that our customer service and personal attention was just as good as the quality of our lodging. We enjoy a solid reputation among locals here and for this guest to say that anyone said anything negative about us is simply unfair unless she can point out who said it. The guest complained about having to take her trash to one of the public dumpsters set out specifically for that purpose. That is common policy in Big Bear and in fact is mandated by City ordinance.

I feel we did everything in our power to satisfy this guest. We switched cabins for her twice. I spent over $100 in labor to have 3 different employees clear snow and ice and even try to park her van for her. We did everything we could to tell her what to expect. We posted warnings on our website. We sent her an Email that had information about winter driving as well as a link to road and weather conditions. Unfortunately, this guest apparently chose not to read these warnings and as a result, she did not take reasonable precautions and had problems dealing with the elements. She accused us twice of jeopardizing the safety of her children when in fact she was the one who jeopardized the safety of her children by not reading the many notices we provided and not checking road conditions before she set out to come to the mountains in the winter. We understand that folks like to come to the mountains in the winter to see the snow but some of them fail to realize the challenges the snow may pose. This guest is one of those people and would probably be better off not visiting the mountains in the winter.

Reviewed February 11, 2009

We (10 of us) stayed at one of their properties name Adorable Castle. It is a gorgeous place with very comfortable beds. Everything including the kitchen is in good shape. Directions as to what the property manager expects from customers are clear. There was more than enough space for all of us. We had lots of fun at the place except I wish the property manager was more clear about the BBQ grill. We spent $250 on ingrediance for BBQ and only to find out that the grill was out of gas. When we called the manager, he said they don't guarantee the BBQ grill would work in the winter time............. that was a big disappointment for us. I was not happy with his answer, but we moved on cause everything else was great about this place. We ended up cooking everything in the kitchen and we still had fun.

Recommandation#1 : If you are staying during time of snow, make sure you have a 4WD vehicle due to the extramely steep drive way. Not any 2WD vehicle would make it

Recommandation #2: Try to fit everyone in 2 cars cause the drive way only fits 2 cars. There is no street parking available and the next public parking is about 4-5 miles away.

Date of stay: February 2009
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
2  Thank jitjet
Black_Bear_Cottages, Owner at Black Bear Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2009

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I also want to thank you for opening my eyes to a policy of ours that needs to be changed. From now on, we will do our best to make sure barbecues are available all year-round because we know many guests like to grill outside even in cold weather!

Don't forget your 'return guest' discount next time you want to come to Big Bear - just call us!

Reviewed October 9, 2008

We (our family of 4) rented their Paradise Pines cabin which is located near the village. I called them with questions first and John took the time to go over everything with me, even looking up cabins from other companies to help me make sure I got exactly what we wanted. Well the cabin we ended up with was nearly perfect. We were able to walk almost everywhere we wanted to go so it was nice not having to use the car much. The cabin was truly adorable and had plenty of room for all of us. The place was immaculate and had a nice deck. The furniture was comfy and didn't look like the crud you see in some places. We have stayed at places in Big Bear that were real dumps but Paradise Pines looked like someone really cared about the guests. The kids loved the bunk beds and I thought the iron bed in the master bedroom was very romantic.

The best part of all was the customer service. Instead of having to leave messages or wait for days for a response to my email, John was available to help me whenever I called and he answered my emails almost immediately. He had plenty of suggestions for things to do and where to eat and really knew a lot about Big Bear.

We will be back for sur e - in fact we are planning another trip up there this winter and we will definitely stay in Paradise Pines cabin.

Date of stay: August 2008