“Excellent choice for dinner in Borrego Springs ”
Review of Carlee's Place

Carlee's Place
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar Scene, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed August 13, 2017 via mobile

We chose this place because they have a variety of options;, pasta, pizza, burgers, etc. I had the Carlee's burger. No frills; big burger patty topped with cheese, big strips of thick bacon, and a generous amount of avocado. Really good burger! The pizza we ordered for the kids was fantastic as well, with a very robust sauce. My wife was also very pleased with her shrimp. Decent prices for big portions of tasty food.

Date of visit: August 2017
Andrew M, Owner at Carlee's Place, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2017

Paul F,
Thank you for such a wonderful review. Really glad you enjoyed the food. You hit the nail on the head with everything. i believe a good burger should be just that, big, juicy and delicious. A wonderful sauce makes the difference between a good and a great pizza. My chef and I set out to make a menu that could cater to everyone's taste buds no matter how big or small the group is. Hope to see you back for the next item on the menu! Thanks again!

Reviewed August 11, 2017

Dining options are limited in Borrego Springs in August. Most are closed for the entire month! We ordered the filet mignon medium rare and both were way overdone, dry and tough. We sent them back and refused the offer to let the chef try again. I asked for the fish and chips as a replacement and received frozen fish soaked in grease. People were ordering burgers that looked pretty good so I guess that is the safe bet.

Date of visit: August 2017
1  Thank KatB92020

KatB92020, My apologies on the filets. I'm very surprised by this as our cooks are usually very good about temps. I will pass this on to my chef and make sure that it receives immediate attention. Also, I am surprised that you say the fish was grease soaked as we only use 100% Canola oil and not the fry shortening most restaurants use for this very reason. We do have wonderful burgers and I hope you will give us another try so that we can prepare on for you.

Reviewed July 23, 2017

Greek salad was fresh & tasty but drenched in dressing. Waitress told me about ordering half size instead of assuming full size and I really appreciated it, as half was large.

Date of visit: July 2017
Andrew M, Owner at Carlee's Place, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2017

Glad you liked the fresh salad. My apologies that our cooks drenched it in dressing. I would advise you to ask for dressing on the side in the future whether it's with us or other restaurants. I always do this when ordering a salad in an unfamiliar place. I hope we can a chance to do it right!

Reviewed June 27, 2017

We were visiting Borrego Springs for the night sky tour and were here to grab a bite before the tour started. Borrego Springs is a small town and pretty much all the restaurants are located around the town center. We decided to try Carlee's Place after checking the menu in the Borrego Springs guide in our room and finding that there were enough vegetarian options to choose from.

They have tables and booths to choose from, the staff is polite and courteous, the lighting is great. There's a well stocked bar for those who drink and a live band in the evening.

I was warned that the service in the town restaurants can be slow, but I was happy with the speed of service. Summer is not peak visitor season, so that could have been a factor there.

The food itself was great, though the portions were huge! Good thing we were hungry after a 5 hour drive from Los Angeles. :)

I found the prices to be a little higher than what you'd expect in a similar place elsewhere, but considering the portion sizes and low number of visitors in the summer, were probably justifiable.

It was interesting to see that they have a small book exchange/library towards the back

Date of visit: June 2017
Andrew M, Owner at Carlee's Place, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2017

AalokPandit,
Thank you for coming in, so glad the food was great. Our food may be a little more expensive, but unlike a lot of restaurants that are similar in appearance we make everything fresh. No "table warmer food" or canned sauces. Glad you enjoyed the selection of vegetarian items. We have aimed to provide a menu that will give all guests a variety of choices no matter what their palate desires! Thanks again.

Reviewed June 24, 2017

This is a sport bar type of restaurant serving typical American food - burgers, sandwich, soup, salad, etc., they also serve pasta which is a bit pricey. I had the french dip which is quite good.

Date of visit: June 2017

TonyChao, Tony glad you enjoyed the French Dip. Our pastas may seem a bit "pricey", but next time you get a chance give them a try. You will realize the quantity, quality and sauces that are a la minute will make them well worth it.