“Very fun experience”

Dr. Wilkinson's Hot Springs Resort
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: This Napa Valley landmark soothes visitors through mud baths, steam rooms, massages and more. For 64 years and still family owned and managed, a visit to one of the few remaining family ventures is old school and good...We are real!
Reviewed November 11, 2015 via mobile

My wife and I stopped in for "the works" and found it a fun experience.

We had never been in a mud bath before and it was very unique. The temperature was not too hot and I found it very relaxing.

I also enjoyed the steam sauna and a 30 minute massage which I wish I had signed up for the 60 minute massage instead.

I also wish they had a couples option because it would've been fun doing this with my wife rather than at the same time as my wife.

Mark W, Owner at Dr. Wilkinson's Hot Springs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2015

So glad you enjoyed your visit here! Family owned and operated for nearly 64 years, your kind review is truly appreciated.

We offer couples massages.... Many years of experience have proven to us that for ultimate relaxation and safety with mud, co-ed doesn't work!

Again, I am so happy your experience was a good one!

All reviews
"flannel"
in 3 reviews
"conflict"

Reviewed October 20, 2015

If you are looking for a spa experience, keep looking! I suppose "Spartan" might be fair, but there is nothing here to suggest luxury treatment or calming relaxation. It is an in-and-out no frills experience with the addition of smelly mud--peat+volcanic ash. Also, the 'couples' experience was not available, no explanation, just not available today (on a Saturday!).

2  Thank AZLuvTravel
Mark W, Owner at Dr. Wilkinson's Hot Springs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2015

Thanks for the review! Very sorry that we didn't have the couples treatment available for you on a Saturday....perhaps booking earlier might have made a difference (Napa Valley) and Calistoga are well known. The word "spartan" doesn't bother me and I am sorry that your expectations were not met. . We are unique and absolutely not a typical "spa".

I hope that you find a place, with or without mud baths, book well ahead, in another world that suits you better, without pretense.

All best,

Reviewed September 18, 2015

this place was great to stay at the pools and very easy location to get to from san francisco. we'll be back

Mark W, Owner at Dr. Wilkinson's Hot Springs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2015

Thanks for the review! Hope to see you again......the sooner the better!

Reviewed September 15, 2015

If you've always wanted to have a mud bath but were afraid to take the plunge -- this is the place for it, along with mineral baths, massage, and relaxation.

1  Thank Bio-traveler
Mark W, Owner at Dr. Wilkinson's Hot Springs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2015

Many thanks for the kind words!!!! Sixty three years, family owned and appreciating the vote of confidence!!!

Not sure about stew......I call it an easy-bake poach resulting in supreme relaxation! :)

Thanks again,
Mark Wilkinson

Dr. W was my father.........................

See more reviews
Reviewed September 6, 2015

We got a gift certificate to Dr. Wilkinson's Spa specifically because we had heard about the mud baths and wanted to try it out. Be warned, if you have any health issues they will not let you do the mud bath! My wife has high blood pressure so she was not allowed. Ruined the whole idea ... and of course there wasn't any way to get our money back from the gift certificate. It would be one thing if they mentioned this on their web site, but we couldn't find any note of it. They had a whole list of conditions that preclude you from doing a mud bath, not just high blood pressure. So, before you ask before you make any plans.

Mark W, Owner at Dr. Wilkinson's Hot Springs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2015

Dear Mark M,

Thank you for your review and my apologies for your disappointment. When booking mud baths we screen all guests for their safety. This has been our policy for 63 years. Your well-being is more important to us than a sale. Our gift certificates are for a dollar amount and not a specific service and any remaining balance on a certificate is re- issue to the recipient. . Imagine had we not inquired if you were allergic to almonds and you became quite ill due to the allergy. Always better safe than sorry and I truly hope you understand our concerns.

Again, I am truly sincere in expressing and understanding disappointment. Again, your well being matters to us.