“Mud bath aka manure bath”

Dr. Wilkinson's Hot Springs Resort
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: This Napa Valley landmark soothes visitors through mud baths, steam rooms, massages and more. For 64 years and still family owned and managed, a visit to one of the few remaining family ventures is old school and good...We are real!
Reviewed December 10, 2015

My husband and I wanted to try the mud bath while we were in Calistoga and signed up for "the works." It was nothing like I expected it to be, it was really like sitting in a tub of hot manure! But anyway, the overall experience was fun and I can see the benefits of having such treatments done. The bath attendants were wonderful and very attentive and made you feel very comfortable despite being nude and covered in mud. The spa is a little dated, but it's simple and clean. I felt great afterwards and my skin was so soft! If I'm ever in Calistoga again, I'd be back at Dr. Wilkinson's for another dip in the manure bath.

All reviews
in 11 reviews
"trina"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed December 6, 2015

This is truly an 'original' Calistoga experience to try. This was my second time as I had so much the first time last year. For $89 I had a warm relaxing mud bath, facial while in the mud bath, followed by my own individual whirl pool bath with mineral waters, cool water continually being brought by Trina even before I thought to ask, then steam sauna and finally finished off being wrapped in a cotton flannel sheet and led to a relaxing table to just 'set'. All this for $89. I tried another spa while I was visiting. It was very nice, $$$ and I'm glad for the opportunity. But Dr Wilkinson's is truly money well spent.

Reviewed November 11, 2015 via mobile

My wife and I stopped in for "the works" and found it a fun experience.

We had never been in a mud bath before and it was very unique. The temperature was not too hot and I found it very relaxing.

I also enjoyed the steam sauna and a 30 minute massage which I wish I had signed up for the 60 minute massage instead.

I also wish they had a couples option because it would've been fun doing this with my wife rather than at the same time as my wife.

Mark W, Owner at Dr. Wilkinson's Hot Springs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2015

So glad you enjoyed your visit here! Family owned and operated for nearly 64 years, your kind review is truly appreciated.

We offer couples massages.... Many years of experience have proven to us that for ultimate relaxation and safety with mud, co-ed doesn't work!

Again, I am so happy your experience was a good one!

Reviewed October 20, 2015

If you are looking for a spa experience, keep looking! I suppose "Spartan" might be fair, but there is nothing here to suggest luxury treatment or calming relaxation. It is an in-and-out no frills experience with the addition of smelly mud--peat+volcanic ash. Also, the 'couples' experience was not available, no explanation, just not available today (on a Saturday!).

2  Thank Chuck L
Mark W, Owner at Dr. Wilkinson's Hot Springs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2015

Thanks for the review! Very sorry that we didn't have the couples treatment available for you on a Saturday....perhaps booking earlier might have made a difference (Napa Valley) and Calistoga are well known. The word "spartan" doesn't bother me and I am sorry that your expectations were not met. . We are unique and absolutely not a typical "spa".

I hope that you find a place, with or without mud baths, book well ahead, in another world that suits you better, without pretense.

All best,