“Staff was very pleasant.”

Dr. Wilkinson's Hot Springs Resort
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: This Napa Valley landmark soothes visitors through mud baths, steam rooms, massages and more. For 64 years and still family owned and managed, a visit to one of the few remaining family ventures is old school and good...We are real!
Reviewed January 16, 2016

Although very relaxing it was extremely difficult to get out of the mud and mineral bath as they do not have any handles to crab onto. Thought I would be in there for days trying to get out. They cannot help you due to liabilities.

1  Thank PumphreyGrassValley
"flannel"
in 3 reviews
"conflict"

Reviewed December 26, 2015 via mobile

I had always heard about the mud bathes so while up there I figured I had to give it a try. The mud was extremely hot and took several tries by the attendant with his shovel to get it tolerable. Make sure it is comfortable, not tolerable, as I couldn't wait to get out because it was so hot. Once you get over the fact that you are sitting in mud that countless other people have sat in, it is a unique experience.

After the mud bath, we had massages. There was only one male and the other was female. My companion didn't want a female so I was fine with it. The massage was ok, though I've had better where the masseur reads your body without having to ask whether it feels alright. The woman kept talking, where I prefer to just relax with quiet. One thing that really annoyed me was that she was chewing gum. I find that in professional in any public facing role.

The massage is given in this boarded off are from the dressing area, but you can hear every sound. It isn't really that relaxing - especially given the price.

It was worth doing it once, though I cannot see going back.

1  Thank das404ga
Reviewed December 10, 2015

My husband and I wanted to try the mud bath while we were in Calistoga and signed up for "the works." It was nothing like I expected it to be, it was really like sitting in a tub of hot manure! But anyway, the overall experience was fun and I can see the benefits of having such treatments done. The bath attendants were wonderful and very attentive and made you feel very comfortable despite being nude and covered in mud. The spa is a little dated, but it's simple and clean. I felt great afterwards and my skin was so soft! If I'm ever in Calistoga again, I'd be back at Dr. Wilkinson's for another dip in the manure bath.

Reviewed December 6, 2015

This is truly an 'original' Calistoga experience to try. This was my second time as I had so much the first time last year. For $89 I had a warm relaxing mud bath, facial while in the mud bath, followed by my own individual whirl pool bath with mineral waters, cool water continually being brought by Trina even before I thought to ask, then steam sauna and finally finished off being wrapped in a cotton flannel sheet and led to a relaxing table to just 'set'. All this for $89. I tried another spa while I was visiting. It was very nice, $$$ and I'm glad for the opportunity. But Dr Wilkinson's is truly money well spent.

See more reviews
Reviewed November 11, 2015 via mobile

My wife and I stopped in for "the works" and found it a fun experience.

We had never been in a mud bath before and it was very unique. The temperature was not too hot and I found it very relaxing.

I also enjoyed the steam sauna and a 30 minute massage which I wish I had signed up for the 60 minute massage instead.

I also wish they had a couples option because it would've been fun doing this with my wife rather than at the same time as my wife.

Mark W, Owner at Dr. Wilkinson's Hot Springs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2015

So glad you enjoyed your visit here! Family owned and operated for nearly 64 years, your kind review is truly appreciated.

We offer couples massages.... Many years of experience have proven to us that for ultimate relaxation and safety with mud, co-ed doesn't work!

Again, I am so happy your experience was a good one!

Mark Wilkinson