“Excellent Mud Bath”

Dr. Wilkinson's Hot Springs Resort
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: This Napa Valley landmark soothes visitors through mud baths, steam rooms, massages and more. For 64 years and still family owned and managed, a visit to one of the few remaining family ventures is old school and good...We are real!
Reviewed 19 April 2016

I stayed here with my parents, very relaxing, friendly place. The accommodations are clean but nothing special, unless you really want the true vintage feel. The baths however are lovely, and the hot bath is inside so it stays hotter, the other two baths outside are warm and then cool. Goldilocks could have fun trying the baths here! I also tried my first mud bath here. Very nice, super stinky, but my skin has never felt so good.

3  Thank pianokatiecello
Mark W, Owner at Dr. Wilkinson's Hot Springs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2016

Thanks so much for the review! I am truly happy that you enjoyed your time here! Our mineral waters are fresh and come from the grounds beneath us at boiling...and indeed, there is sulfur in the water. We've just ramped up our wi-fi in all guest rooms and now offer premium channels as well as easy access to the relaxing waters.

Thank you again!
-Mark

Reviewed 1 April 2016

So I made a trip up to Calistoga with a Girlfriend and our kids for Easter Break and we staggered our massages so that someone was with the kids poolside while the other person was getting a treatment.
I asked for a woman. But apparently she called in sick. I have never been so happy my wishes weren't honored. Tim was amazing. He was so firm and so thorough. It was one of the best massages of my life!
Now I have read other reviews of this place and I have to tell you-I feel like people who complain about the smell of mud? Haven't been to Calistoga before. Yeah it stinks. It stinks EVERYWHERE. Because it's volcanic ash. It's smells like sulphur. News at 11. It smells like that at Dr. Wilkinson's where you can get a full hour massage for $114 and it smells that way up at Indian Springs where you will pay $155 for a "spa hour" (which means 50 minutes). So you know, the choice is yours. But I used to go to day treatments at Indian Springs and things are so much more reasonably priced at Dr. Wilkinson's we feel like we can afford to stay the night! It's a smallerl facility with less frills. That's true. But the things you get? In terms of Spa treatment and options? Are exactly the same. Massages, mud bath, mineral baths, facials, showers and steam. Martha who runs the women's facility is wonderful and has been working there forever. And I happen to like Orange infused water BETTER than Cucumber water!
So if you are like me and you normally prefer a female masseuse? Take a risk! Ask for Time! You won't be sorry!

3  Thank Shelly A
Mark W, Owner at Dr. Wilkinson's Hot Springs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2016

Dear Shelly A,

Thank you so much for the review! So glad that you enjoyed your recent visit! I have passed along your kind comments to all and hope to see you here again soon!

Best wishes,
Mark Wilkinson

Reviewed 23 March 2016

I have been going to The mud baths for the last 25 years. This has always been a no thrill experience as far as decor.This facilityI believe started in 1952 and is an old facility. I did have the mud bath, mineral bath , sauna and wrap. Was not able to book a message I assume because of availability. This was the first time that had ever happened but on all prior visits had booked the spa treatment at least a week prior. On this trip I booked it he prior afternoon. Had a young attendant who was at first not very personable and did not even offer to help cover my upper body in the mud which is volcanic ash. The attendant did become friendly as the treatment continued and I was pleased with his service by treatment end. They had a wonderful attendant for decades named Sal (I believe) but he retired several years back. As far as the hotel is concerned it is old and basic. They do have cottages that you can book which are nicer but they are closed for the winter.
If you are looking for a basic spa experience that is reasonably priced this is the place. If you are looking for a modern experience their are many other hotels with spa services available but are very pricey.

2  Thank benjamins50
Reviewed 12 March 2016 via mobile

I don't usually write reviews, but as this experience was so abysmal I felt it was my fair duty to ! If I had read the reviews and even the managers responses on trip advisor beforehand, it would have kept me safely far away from the dr wilkinson spa from hell !
Firstly they make you enter the experience through the hotel lobby, not the spa entrance. We should have turned back at this stage ....... The reception smelt stale and their display contained a yellowing dressing gown ...... The warning signs were there......
As my friend had visited before ( over 15 years ago I may add) we continued in the hope it would be as she remembered and booked two mud baths!
We entered the "spa" area by a browning pool, it looked unclean and unhygienic. It only got worse inside . The place absolutely stank ! The curtain rails were brown and smelly as were the Unsanitised browning bins. There was one member of staff to maybe 8 guests . This member of staff put you through each "step" of the experience including getting you in the mud bath and spreading the mud on you ( the mud looked and smelt like horse manure not therapeutic clay mud btw ). She also poured your water - which had chunks off yellow moulding lemon pieces because the water dispenser had not been cleaned for probably a year . I personally could not even go near the foul smelling mud. So I was promptly plonked into the lavender whirlpool. Basically an old bath with a plastic mildew pipe pumping the water and no such lavender just the sewer smell which surrounded the whole place . The walls were brown as was the floor, the towels, the bathtubs and everything else that we came across .... The final straw was the dangerous steam room . A tank of boiling water open on two sides with a pipe plonked in heating the water at intervals . It looked like a contraption from the 1930s or younger. I left with the desperate urge to go back to my hotel and shower and scrub away the whole experience .
Clearly the place had not had a penny spent on it in its life time . It really was the worst experience of my life and should be closed down . It's disgusting and a travesty that people are charged for the privilege of perhaps catching something incurable !!!!!!!!
Steer well clear !!!!!!!

3  Thank jojojo30
Mark W, Owner at Dr. Wilkinson's Hot Springs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2016

Jojojo30-

So sorry that your experience wasn't as hoped. My only response is my opinion of your (alleged) claims. Vivid combined with imagination is, in my opinion, a right and as we know, the web is a place to disclose, insult, support or anything you want.

Your comments, however, lack merit in my opinion. No accusation at all. I truly hope that you find solace elsewhere. Again, I am sorry that your visit wasn't as expected. I am sorry that your choice was to write unkindly about a family owned operation. I can only compliment you for what I suggest might be a vivid imagination. I hope that you use it to your advantage and not to demean, with intent, others who might possibly agree or be convinced by your comments.

I welcome your feedback again, be it positive, destructive or enlightening. My e-mail is mwilkinson@drwilkinson.com.

Reviewed 21 February 2016

Yes it is me again!! A happy, calm, peaceful, rested person after staying at Dr. Wilkinson's Hot Springs!! I was AGAIN greeted kindly and swiftly...never do the front desk agents make you wait...and checked into my poolside room with new age music playing...ahhhhh!! Nick at the front desk was kind enough to give me a pool side room..next to the hot springs! Monique from housekeeping checked in on me to see if I needed anything and WITHOUT even me asking..she delivered pool towels to my room. I settled into the hot spring and was greeted by the familiar friendly bath house staff...ALWAYS asking me if I need anything. EXCELLENT SERVICE...the spa and the massage was outstanding and I love the location because one can just float over to a near by restaurant and enjoy a good meal and wine without even getting in your car. I snuck into the convenient near by market...that is the other positive thing about Dr. Wilkinson's is the location..once you arrive you NEVER have to get in your car until you leave!! But I picked up at delightful pastry and went star gazing from the hot spring and put my jammies on and climbed into the most WONDERFUL LINENS and listened to new age as i indulged in my chocolate heaven!! You don't know what you are missing ...you MUST go to cozy friendly Dr. Wilkinson's Hot Springs Resort!!

1  Thank katharine m