“Relaxing weekend”

Ranked #10 of 15 Hotels in Calistoga
Redwood City, California
“Relaxing weekend”
Reviewed 8 March 2012

My boyfriend and I were just at Golden Haven Spa this last weekend. Whether it was the front desk staff or Cristian (our spa attendent) the customer service was GREAT. They made us feel like they wanted us there just as much as we wanted to be there.

The mud bath was great. My skin still feels great days later.

I will be back for sure. And I recommend it to anyone that is in the area.
The only thing I would like enjoyed more was if they allowed pets. I normally don't travel without my dog.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sal515

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 6 March 2012

You should overnight on premises after a relaxing mud bath. The waters are naturally hot and not very sulfuric in smell. They have 3 pools: two jacuzzis of different temperatures and a colder swimming pool. They cool their waters with town's treated water.

Room 11 is a suite: separate bedroom with a queen size bed, and the living room with a king size bed. A quad-occupancy room with a mudbath costs less than $130 a person. Don't expect to use the inn beyond sleep, spa and swim. Walls are thin and security is lax. It's in a residential neighborhood, off the main street of Calistoga. WiFi signal is spotty, but then again, why on earth do you need to go online when you're supposed to unplug and unwind.

Room Tip: Get a room close to the pool. You will feel cold upon leaving the swimming area... so it's best...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
Oakland, California
Reviewed 27 February 2012

While visiting Golden Haven hot springs, my wife and I had a very rewarding experience. The staff and attendants were very cordial and accomodating. I would like to recommend to anyone visiting Calistoga, to stay at this hot springs. The rooms are very clean as well as relaxing. This is our second time there,and we plan to have many more visits.

Room Tip: The rooms on south side are quiet
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 25 February 2012

This seems to be the lowest-priced spa in Calistoga. If you don't care about ambiance in the least, it could be ok. However, the front desk staff are minimally friendly and not particularly professional. It is also noisy, and the crowd is a bit rough.

1 Thank frazzle_dazzle47
Nevada City, California
Reviewed 23 February 2012

We read both good and bad reviews of Golden Haven before going. I have to say that the person who wrote the review titled "We thought this was a joke... where's the camera?" gets the prize for writing a review that perfectly summed up our "spa" experience. (If you want a good laugh, read her review).

We stayed in one of the jacuzzi rooms, which was actually bit better than I expected (having read many reviews that said the place was really run down). Our room and bathroom were not run down at all - quite the contrary... the room looked like it had been redone within the past couple of years. The "soaker" jacuzzi's in the room are kind of old and a little funky looking, but they were clean and the water is great, and being able to soak whenever you want in your room was a nice luxury (if you can get past the rotting egg / sulphur smell of the mineral water in your room, which some people complained about, but it didn't bother us at all). I would say the room was very "average" considering it's high cost (over $250. a night).

Here's the "mixed bag" part -- the "spa" experience. It started off well with us waiting in a nice foyer, while someone got us glasses of iced lemon water. But once we were ushered in, the experience began going downhill fast. First off, there are signs everywhere asking people to "be quiet in the spa areas" but the staff seems to be on auto-pilot and oblivious to the level of their voices, door slamming, etc.

We were schlepped into changing rooms, handed ridiculously small bags to hold our belongings, and handed thin bathrobes and flip flops of "standard issue" one-size-fits-all, that in no way was going to fit my 6 ft 5 in partner, who was trying to figure out how to fit his sized 14 feet into flip flops for a size 9 woman. : ) Our attendant seemed slightly baffled when we asked for a larger size.

Things went further downhill when we were turned over to a very nice young man in jeans and a hoodie - who seemed as out of place in this spa as an eskimo in a swim suit. He was very nice and polite, but not the right vibe for a "spa" attendent.

Things got really ugly when we were taken outside (nothing but our flimsy thin robes on a cold and wet February day) to stand outside waiting for our "mud bath" room to open up. The room itself was scary, dark, dank, smelly, and reminded me of a basement. The mud baths were not what I expected at all -- they are mud mixed with some other substance (reminded me of peat moss), and they just seemed really, really gross. All I could think about when I was sitting in them was how many other people had sat in these same baths since the last time the mud had been changed!

Our teenaged attendent returned to the room with such frequency to ask if we were "okay" etc., that we only got maybe 2 min. at a time to "relax" which was hard to do because he also kept turning out this incredibly obnoxious window fan that sounded like a small jet engine. Our total time in the "mud" bath couldn't have been more than 15 min. and that was after we gave up some of our "hot tub" time to stay in the baths longer. Midway through our "treatment" the teenager appeared with some sort of goo in a bowl and asked us if we wanted the face mud - which he then awkwardly rubbed on our faces, making the whole experience seem even odder. We then were expected to share one shower head, which was ridiculous. The shower was pretty scummy looking, and the entire time we were showing, the teenager was on the other side of our flimsy shower curtain hosing down the mud bath room with a hose. Totally bizarre.

We were then taken to another room for our "heat wrap" which was the biggest joke of all (I was expecting heated blankets at least), but no such thing. They have you lay on some old massage tables and just wrap you up in some old motel blankets. In fact, the teenager wasn't even going to do this for us (he thought we'd be too hot), but I insisted since we were paying for it! Being wrapped up in the blankets in the dark room might have been relaxing had the teenager and other employees not been standing a few feet away from the room chatting while we were trying to "relax."

We then went for a massage. I was holding out that maybe I would FINALLY get a chance to "relax" since we were away from the teenager, but no such luck. Within minutes of my massage beginning, and small toddler began shrieking in a nearby room. This went on for at least 5 minutes. The massage therapists seemed amused, but I wasn't, since I was there to RELAX and this was the least relaxing experience I've ever had relaxing anywhere! I had upgraded to the one hour massage, but the quality of the massage itself was below average. I was so frustrated by the time our "spa" experience was over that I was actually in tears.

Because we stayed for 3 days, in the end our overall experience was decent. I give it a 4.5 for the mineral water quality, a 3.5 for the room, and a 2.5 for the spa experience.

Would I go back? Yes, but only during the week when it is quieter, and I'd skip the groady mud baths entirely.

3 Thank sundari108
Walnut Creek, California
Reviewed 20 February 2012

I have been going to Golden Haven for many years. It is nothing fancy but is reasonably priced and offers mud baths, massages, and other spa related "treatments". They do not allow children on weekends and holidays so if you have little ones plan accordingly. The rooms are nice and the best part for our family is the indoor pool that is heated with geo- mineral water. Calistoga is a nice yet touristy town just a few blocks walk from Golden Haven. So you don't need to drive as long as it is not raining.
There are several nice wineries in the area and to me it has somewhat of a mountain feel with the hills surrounding the area.
AAA gets you a 10% discount.

Room Tip: Since they have pool and hot tub I would not get a room with your own hot tub (plus mineral water ha...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Bay Area
Reviewed 13 February 2012

As first timers to Golden Haven Hot Springs we were anticipating a very relaxing weekend. That is exactly what we got! The room was perfect, much more than we expected. We are used to the typical expensive hotels that don’t come with the amenities that mean something. For instance, we love that the rooms did not come with a phone; with technology at your fingertips you tend to lose sight of what “relaxing” really means, and not having cell service nor a phone put us in our place! And who could forget the jar of candy on the table with candy from your childhood…YUM! With time on our hands we were able to actually enjoy the couples mud baths, which our attendant Jordan ROCKED! Very helpful, gave us the skinny on how to get in, relax, and let the stress melt away. We couldn’t have asked for a better place to stay and relax and enjoy a wonderful Valentine’s Day weekend! We highly recommend Golden Haven to others, and will definitely be back.

2 Thank Kwalters2680