“Superb Restaurant + Spa”

Solage, an Auberge Resort
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Calistoga
Reviewed 23 January 2012

This is a review of the restaurant and spa only. Did not stay at the hotel itself.

Had lunch. Everything was perfect. Was seated immediately. Let the hostess know that we had a spa appointment in one hour and the timing accommodated that perfectly. Service: impeccable. Interior: spotless. One minor issue was that the seating was a little tight in the dining area and can get a little noisy. Food: superb. Both in presentation and the quantity was decent.

Spa: Had the mud treatment. Here's a breakdown of the procedures as well as review of staff and facilities. Staff: friendly and attentive, not overbearing. The place is not large so everything is really close. gym, treatment rooms, pools. check in was prompt. went into the locker room to change and get ready. 2 rows of lockers with 2 fully stock sinks. 2 showers and a steam room inside the locker room. fresh ice water with cold towels are available everywhere (nice touch and one that costs nothing). moved onto the treatment area where the mud was mixed and fully explained to us. You get a pretty small bucket of mud. Maybe 20oz of mud to rub over yourself as you are left alone in the hot room. The staff will knock in 20mins to alert you to shower off. the next 20mins you are in the mineral water, more like a hot bath with some salts and oils to get the body sweating out the toxins. Last 2 mins are spent in an antigravity chair, more sweating. Overall, very relaxing. The last step seemed a bit short and I would think another 10-20mins in the chair would have been nice. After that, you are at liberty to use the hot tubs (more like pools). The main tub is in the 90s and about 15x40 feet. The 2 single sex clothing optional hot tubs are 8 x 30 approx. So they are big hot tubs. Each single sex area has a cold pool and a steam room. Steam room was very hot and very good! Loved it.

The area is very quiet and relaxing. I was there on a cold day but weather permitting, you can spend alot of time outdoors here.

Loved the soap the have there!

Conclusion: recommend and would definitely go back.

1  Thank Bo C

Reviewed 22 January 2012

We stayed in Calistoga because a friend from the area recommended it. We originally planned on staying at Mt View in downtown Calistoga, but it was booked up for the rooms that would accommodate 4 ladies and boy, were we glad that we ended up at Solage!
This place is beautiful! The ONLY reason why I'm not giving it a 5 star rating is because some of the staff was a bit stuffy, however the majority were wonderful!

Rooms-
The layout is the first thing that sets it apart. Its a room, but it's actually your own little cottage with two cruiser bikes to use at your leisure.
Every room had a patio with a sitting area and a great view. There was some weird prairie grass mess that surrounded our patio. Im sure it was some kind of attempt at making it look rustic-chic, but in my opinion, it wasn't aesthetically pleasing and at one point we heard some kind of animal moving around in it. (luckily, we never had the pleasure of meeting said animal).
The beds were comfy and the room itself had plenty of space for four ladies and our luggage.
The bathroom was nice and big, but I really wish they had a bathtub!
The bath amenities smelled great and were from a local place, but none of us liked how the shampoo and conditioner made our hair feel, so bring your own. (the soap and lotion were just fine and all amenities were full size bottles).
We all loved that there was a coffee maker with a jar of coffee from a local shop, as well as an electric kettle to make tea! Yum! (the tropical green was a favorite!)
They also give you a complimentary reusable tote to take with you, some snacks like trail mix to munch on and a bottle of wine that was pretty good.
Most importantly, it was nice and clean!

The Spa-
Ahhh-Mazing!!!! We didn't want to leave! We did the mud slide treatment which was wonderful - we had our own sauna room set up for the four of us (which was nice because this treatment is best done in the nude) so we didn't have to feel all awkward in front of strangers. They give you cucumbers for your eyes and delicious flavored ice water. Then, after you shower off the mud, they take you to a warm scented bath to relax in and finally, the anti-gravity, sound vibration chair. Two of us loved it and fell asleep - the other two thought the chair was just ok.
We all had massages later in our stay and those were wonderful.
Our favorite part of the spa was the warm mineral pool surrounded by olive trees and peaceful serenity. They tap into the local hot spring water and this pool was the PERFECT temp!
They also have separate men's and women's lounge areas where you can lay by a large hot tub (sans clothes if you so choose) or sit in the eucalyptus steam room and then run out and jump into the little cold plunge pool - it was quite exhilarating!
Lastly, the spa food and drinks were delicious, so have some!!

Solbar -
We had a couple of us in our group with food sensitivities and we were always able to find something delicious to eat. The fresh fruit juice in the morning was incredible. (the pear was my fav). If you like oatmeal, it's not to be missed here. Seriously, we all loved our breakfast every morning.
We had dinner and drinks on the patio. The food was amazing (I think the best dinner we had and we tried a new place each night) and the wine impeccable. It was a little chilly out and not only did they bring us our own heater, but the manager came and wrapped a pashmina around me to use while I was sitting there. I loved it so much that I bought one from him!

The only negative thing I can say is that although it's a very nice place, you still need to keep an eye on your things!
You tend to get a bit relaxed - everyone here looks like they stepped out of a J Crew catalog and everyone is nice and there to enjoy themselves. However, we did have one incident where we were laying by the main pool and the young bartender was feeding us free drinks. Who am I to complain - this place isn't cheap, so if you want to load us up with free drinks...ok. Though, I think we MAY have been taken. At one point we noticed the bartender talking to some guy that appeared to be a local - definitely not a guest a the hotel. You need your room key to access the pool and he did come in when a guest was leaving. We were enjoying ourselves and our bag was a few feet away. Two of us grabbed what we though was all of our things and headed back to the room while the other two hung out by the hot tub. Long story short, someone stole our bag.
So, I would just keep an eye on your things. I'm hoping this was just an isolated instance and it shouldn't deter anyone from staying here - the place is great!
I will definitely return!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank LuvTrvl31
Reviewed 20 January 2012

We got hosed by Indian River Resort down the street and contacted Solage last minute (on a holiday weekend). Not only did they accommodate us, but gave us a bit of a discount to offset the cost difference.

The staff was AMAZING (even had one sweet guy fetch a martini late at night - not even his "job"). Everyone goes out of their way to care for you.

The spa was DEVINE! They have private male/female areas that have a hot mineral pool, cold dunk and eucalyptus steam. Plenty of "couples" stuff, too.

Solbar (restaurant) food was delicious, and the bar has a very fun menu of mixed cocktails.

Especially loved that every bungalow (or suite) had bikes. We were able to even ride up to several wineries. DO NOT MISS LAVA VINE (dark chocolate, olive oil and sea salt nibbles accompanied our Port)! Be sure to love on the labs at B Cellars!

Solage will be a return destination, for sure!!

Room Tip: Room are huge, period!
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank ragazza000
Reviewed 8 January 2012

We were part of a group and spent 3 nights at the property.
Loved the internal layout of the cottages and the location was lovely. The customer service was reserved but helpful. We had 2 bikes provided with the cottage and we used them to explore the site and neighbouring area(nice and flat).
Played Boules and the breakfast service had a great choice all well executed.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank londrepyramid
Reviewed 8 January 2012

My wife and I stayed at Solage for two nights for New Years, with our dog. I really liked how this place is so pet friendly, although that is very common in the Napa Valley.

I like how the place is extremely close to Calistoga, yet not right in town. Everything at this place is very modern and minimalist. The pool looked very cool and I'm sure its quite the scene in the summertime (was too cold to try when we were there). The views from the hotel of the mountains are great. We tried Solbar one night for dinner and had excellent food (especially the kobe beef). The drinks were decent, but I'd stick with standard wine, beer, and mixed drinks, rather than their concoctions.

We didn't try using the bikes to ride around the countryside, but wish that we had. That looked like a lot of fun.

We liked how every morning, there was a smell of fresh herbs when we left the room. We could've stayed at this place a lot longer.

Room Tip: For less noise, don't stay in a room facing the Silverado Trail
1  Thank roadwarrior101
Reviewed 6 January 2012

Stayed for 3 nights over New Year; whilst the villas are nice (though the layout is a bit clumsy and impractical) and the grounds of the resort are lovely, overall I was disappointed with our stay. This is mostly due to both the customer service (polite but not friendly or welcoming) and also because we felt it was not value for money (particularly in comparison to other options available in the area).

I will however say that we had a lovely dinner at Solbar and enjoyed the couples mudslide at the spa.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
jalmond12, General Manager at Solage, an Auberge Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2012

Thank you for your recent visit to Solage. I genuinely appreciate you taking your valuable time to share your experience. We continually strive to enhance our service standards; your feedback plays a critical role in that process.

I was disappointed to learn that we did not offer you warm and gracious service during your stay. Our associates are usually quick to offer assistance and I apologize that this did not happen for you. I have spoken with my leadership team to ensure that you and future guests will not encounter the same challenge again.

It is my hope that your travel plans will provide for a return visit to Solage. If I can be of assistance to you now or in the future, please do not hesitate in calling.

Warm Regards,

Richard Hill

Reviewed 6 January 2012

We stayed at the Solage for one night for a mini babymoon and had a lovely time. All of the staff was super friendly. The grounds are gorgeous, somewhat remote and nestled in the Napa foothills. The pool and fountains are beautiful; there are bocce courts and bikes for your use. The property is within walking distance of downtown Calistoga. Our cottage was very nice with a comfortable bed and linens and a modern vibe. It's the extras that make a vacation for me, and I love that the room comes with a coffee maker, ground coffee (not packaged), tea, sugar and creamers in the fridge. The room also has an ipod docking station and magazines. And we received bottled waters for the road when we checked out.

We booked the romance package, which included credits for dinner and breakfast at the Solbar. We have eaten there several times, and each time the food has been fabulous. (Michelin agrees with me.) The bacon is some of the best I've ever had.

My only nitpicky comments are (1) that we had to call the bar from our cellphone to order drinks by the pool. I guess poolside service was discontinued for the season. It wasn't a big deal to walk the few yards from the pool to the bar, but for $500+ a night it would be nice to get a drink by the pool whenever I darn well feel like it (especially since the pool/hot tub is such a draw of the resort for me); and (2) the cottages are so close that I didn't feel like sitting out on the patio due to lack of privacy.

Overall, we had a great time and would definitely return!

1  Thank erin2000
Also consider these accommodations in or near Calistoga
27.9 km away
27 km away
Vintage House
Vintage House
#5 of 6 in Yountville

Been to Solage, an Auberge Resort? Share your experiences!