“This is a French restaurant?”
Review of The French Bulldog - CLOSED

Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Lewis
Reviewed May 31, 2013

We wanted to eat here over Memorial Day weekend, but they were booked so I was looking forward to eating at this popular restaurant. Service was slow, but okay, we were in no hurry. I was happy to see escargot on the menu, but it was over-cooked and bland. I had the lobster risotto as a previous reviewer and was surprised at how tasteless it was. The halibut was also over-cooked and in my opinion, there should be more than 2 tablespoons of lobster involved in the dish if they are going to call it "lobster" risotto. My daughter wasn't crazy about the striped bass. There were a few French dishes on the menu, but I think the management needs to decide if they are running a French restaurant or a sports bar. The game was too loud and the noise ruined what could have been a nice atmosphere. But I guess it's the drinks that makes this place popular. I really was not impressed with this over-priced, tasteless food. Even the creme brûlée was just okay.

Reviewed May 30, 2013

The décor is beautiful - that's it for the good part.

The food was bland at best. I had the Lobster Risotto dish, which the server described as having a large piece of halibut over it, but the halibut was about four bites "large". This dish had no flavor to it at all.

My husband ordered a pizza, it too was surprisingly bland.

The draft beer was cold, but overpriced and the servers really don't care if you are happy or not because the place is filled up with people waiting to get in.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

Visiting in-laws in Camarillo last weekend, they suggested dinner at the French Bulldog. They especially talked up the lamb shank and the paella, so guess which dishes were dropped off the new menu? So it goes. Nonetheless, the lamb shank was replaced with a similar beef short rib and the paella was replaced with a similar Seafood Basquaise. I had the short rib, my wife had the seafood, my brother in-law had the Beef Bourguignon and sister in-law convinced the chef to whip up the paella. All of the dishes were tasty and visually pleasing. Service was a bit lax, and maybe lacked a bit in planning. For example, the seafood basquaise is much like a stew, but nobody thought to provide a spoon. Still, none of that was a deal-breaker. This is the kind of place that one goes to have a good time, not to be pampered. It is a large space, broken into two main areas. A bit noisy, but again, remember the 'have a good time' theme. I liked it and would definitely return.

Reviewed May 27, 2013

My first meal at the French Bulldog was a mostly-positive experience; a mixed bag of good cocktails, excellent appetizer, excellent main course, muddled with obnoxiously loud music and pokey service.

I had the grilled striped bass. A risky maneuver in a restaurant you've never tried before but I don't get enough fish at home so I try it whenever I get the chance. The fish was excellent. Flawlessly presented with roasted potatoes and dried tomatoes; really good.

My wife had the hangar steak; also a delicious main course prepared to near perfection.

My wife and daughter shared the chocolate tort for dessert which should be warm, but was not. They enjoyed it but would have preferred it warm.

Did I have to bark at the wait staff to get a water refill? Yes. Was it nearly impossible to have a conversation without shouting? Yes. Would I go back? Yes; reluctantly. The food was that good.

Reviewed May 26, 2013

We had the BBQ Salmon which was really amazing. Order the Ballard (house wine) which is one of the best cabernets we have had for $20. Sports TVs for lunch and a romantic atmosphere for night. Say hello to Gael, the French Chef and owner. Very personable and even brought us escargot for lunch which is not on the lunch menu.