“Great Teppanyaki experience!”

Yama Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #83 of 221 Restaurants in Camarillo
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Reviewed April 17, 2016

We decided to try this restaurant after a few years of going to other Japanese restaurants. Everyone was friendly, and we didn't have to wait long. We came for the Teppan cooking but started with tempura shrimp and vegetables and the ahi special. All delicious. Service was great. The waiter and table chef really listened to what we wanted. Filet (medium rare), shrimp and scallops were cooked perfectly. The chicken was a bit dry but with the vegetables and rice it was fine. We'll be back soon.

Date of visit: April 2016

Reviewed January 29, 2016

I was looking to get sushi and I saw this place reviewed online and decided to try it out since it was next to where I needed to buy household items at Vons. I was glad that I went.

The service was great. As soon as I got in the door, they greeted me and asked whether I wanted Teppanyaki (where they cook the food in front of you like Benihana), sushi bar, or table service. I chose the sushi bar.

Right away, they asked me what I wanted to drink and then they gave me a hot towel to clean up. After that, they gave me the wasabi, ginger, and a small bowl of vegetables and edamame. I then proceeded to order my sushi and makis (Rolls). They were all delicious. Even though my chef was busy with table orders, he never forgot about me and asked me what I wanted next and asked me how everything was.

I do need to caution you that the prices are about $2 more than what you see at other sushi restaurants, but it is definitely worth it.

I'm definitely coming back here.

Date of visit: January 2016
Reviewed August 10, 2015

This is a really good sushi place, with friendly service. Their fish is very fresh and they have some interesting rolls. They also have hibachi tables with the typical cooking show. The service is quick and attentive. They are a little pricey, but I suppose that comes with the good quality. The only negative, other than the price, was that we had a large group (10 people) who were mostly eating sushi, and the only place we could all be seated was at a hibachi table, which doesn't really work for conversation.

Date of visit: July 2015
Reviewed March 30, 2015

By far our favorite restaurant, sushi or otherwise in Camarillo...and there are some very good ones in town (Masa Sushi, eg.). If they have fresh scallops, and the owner, Tony, will tell you what's fresh, OMG! Tony will accomodate any tastes. Be sure to have the Unagi sushi. Great sauce. This is our "go to" restaurant, no doubt...and we are locals.

Date of visit: January 2015
Reviewed November 20, 2014 via mobile

Yama serves the freshest sushi in Camarillo, with the chef going to LA several times a week for high-quality fish.

You can taste the difference if you order sushi or sashimi; the quality of the fish is apparent. We've never been disappointed in Yama's salmon, tuna or yellowtail offerings, for example, and it's other fresh fish has been good-to-great.

The various Americanized rolls are good too (our favorite is the Tony Jr.). But the best way to judge a sushi restaurant is through it's sashimi & sushi.

Yama also offers teppan grills and will fire them up for even small groups. We've done that a couple of times and have always been satisfied.

The prices are definitely on the high side, but if you want high-quality fish you're going to have to pay for it. They're certainly not spending the $$ on decorations. The booths look the same as they did 25 years ago when the restaurant was home to Happy Steak, a Sizzler-like meat-and-salad joint that had a long run at this location.

Staff is very friendly and responsive. First round of sushi usually takes awhile to arrive but we always get miso soup as an appetizer (also helps keep the cost down).

1  Thank EditorCJP