“Awesome sushi!!! Best I've had - super fresh”

Yama Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #77 of 208 Restaurants in Camarillo
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Reviewed June 20, 2017 via mobile

I travel extensively in Asia including Tokyo, Taipei, Shanghai, Seoul, HK and this was truly an outstanding place for sushi. I highly recommend the Jin's role, Oh Toro, Albacore belly. Makes for a perfect dinner after a full day of shopping :)

Reviewed August 24, 2016 via mobile

Very expensive, waitress not attentive. Sushi not plated correctly. When you pay 15-20 for a roll.it shouldn't be put on a plate with a salad with a lot of liquid. The roll did not stay together. Pieces were also too big to eat in one bite the way you eat sushi. Not worth the money, last time we will go there.

Reviewed May 2, 2016 via mobile

Decided to give this place a try for a sushi lunch since our favorite Camarillo place was closed. Prior to today, I had only been to the Benihana style side of the restaurant (in the past has been a fun experience consistently). Oops I digress. Back to today's experience. The sushi in the combo was delicious and fresh, but I did not like the raw cook on or taste/tenderness of the beef teriyaki. The service was exceptionally fast, but I was distracted by persistent coughing - both the waitress and the sushi chef. The waitress never covered her mouth and coughed while servicing tables. Not directly on us but as she was walking around. It was nonstop. At one point the sushi chef made a really disgusting nasal clearing sound followed by a even more nasty full mouth phlegm spit. It was REALLY loud & gross. I cringe thinking about this now. Yuck. Both the sushi chef and waitress persistently coughed from start to finish.

The bathroom is old and run down, very dirty handprints on the doors and walls plus there were no toilet seat covers. The walls haven't been cleaned in a long while. It was not sanitary. And that reminds me, the toilet seat itself was too small for the elongated design of the porcelain toilet. Imagine a circle on a larger oval shaped design. It didn't fit at all.

If the sushi weren't so fresh, I would give this place 2 stars. Plus I have had fun on the Benihana side many times before so I will give them the benefit of the doubt. I won't be going back. Worst part is... Now I'm seriously wondering if I'm going to get sick... oh great :(

Reviewed April 17, 2016

We decided to try this restaurant after a few years of going to other Japanese restaurants. Everyone was friendly, and we didn't have to wait long. We came for the Teppan cooking but started with tempura shrimp and vegetables and the ahi special. All delicious. Service was great. The waiter and table chef really listened to what we wanted. Filet (medium rare), shrimp and scallops were cooked perfectly. The chicken was a bit dry but with the vegetables and rice it was fine. We'll be back soon.

Reviewed January 29, 2016

I was looking to get sushi and I saw this place reviewed online and decided to try it out since it was next to where I needed to buy household items at Vons. I was glad that I went.

The service was great. As soon as I got in the door, they greeted me and asked whether I wanted Teppanyaki (where they cook the food in front of you like Benihana), sushi bar, or table service. I chose the sushi bar.

Right away, they asked me what I wanted to drink and then they gave me a hot towel to clean up. After that, they gave me the wasabi, ginger, and a small bowl of vegetables and edamame. I then proceeded to order my sushi and makis (Rolls). They were all delicious. Even though my chef was busy with table orders, he never forgot about me and asked me what I wanted next and asked me how everything was.

I do need to caution you that the prices are about $2 more than what you see at other sushi restaurants, but it is definitely worth it.

I'm definitely coming back here.