Hacienda Guachipelin
US$117
US$121
Orbitz.com
  • Breakfast included
Canon de la Vieja Lodge(Rincon de La Vieja)
US$94
  • Breakfast included
Rinconcito Lodge(Rincon de La Vieja)(Great Value!)
US$59
  • Pool
Buena Vista Lodge & Adventure(Rincon de La Vieja)(Great Value!)
US$56
  • Breakfast included
La Anita Rainforest Ranch(Rincon de La Vieja)
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
Rancho Curubande' Lodge(Rincon de La Vieja)
TripAdvisor
  • Free Internet
1,517 results
All reviewsnational parkriver tubingday adventurehorseback ridinghot springszip lininggrand tourcosta ricaadventure centerday passfree shuttledinner buffeta la carte menuwhite water tubingcanopy tourbuffet stylegreat adventure
Reviewed June 4, 2011

When we arrived, there was a "lady" getting upset over something silly in reception and acting the very poor traveller. I tried to help her as I spoke her language and eventually she was settled and left. The reception staff in my experience was very nice and able to tolerate that kind of behaviour and then offer me a smile and a welcome drink. Good show.

The rooms were ok. They could use an update but they were clean and fine for sleeping (we didn't spend much time in our room). I seem to recall that either there was no safe, or maybe it was too small for my netbook so I hid my valuables instead, but had no issues with security. One drawback was that either I couldn't figure out the remote or the tv could only be turned off manually so as I like to fall asleep to tv, I would have to wake up to go shut it off. Not a huge deal.

It's kind of like a summer camp there. Breakfast was standard for Costa Rica and suited us fine. We were halfway through our trip so I was a little tired of Tico food but you can always find something to eat that suits you at a buffet. Lunch again was a buffet included in our adventure pass so it was a good deal. I only vaguely remember it so it was probably neither great nor horrible but standard Costa Rican buffet stuff. They seem to like their pasta sauce runny in that country. To each their own. For dinner, both nights we ate at the bar and ordered sandwiches, fries, tacos because we didn't feel restaurant-y and it was cheaper. It was a good decision as the sandwiches are quite good. We really enjoyed the ambiance of the little bar and visited it a few times. There was live music and a tv. The bartender (an older guy whose name I can't remember) was awesome! He was very friendly to chat with and asked our opinion on tv and music selections. On top of that, he made the best mojitos I've ever had. He also helped us find some salsa Lizano for our fries.

The tours were good. We had already done a lot of similar things but this one still had a few gems the others didn't. The only thing weak about this one is that it felt a bit touristy and less personal because they process a lot of people in a day...but, that's what we are so you just accept it. I would recommend that they provide more information about what you are going to do, at what time, what to bring/wear, etc. We were very unprepared. I think we missed doing one of the activities (canyoning) because there wasn't any indication of what was included or where you should be to do it or when. We had the all day adventure pass but we really had to ask around in order to do the activities. I think it could be better coordinated. The horse ride was a little weird for me as I am used to different saddles and I didn't feel all that safe/stirrups weren't adjusted well. It worked out ok though and I didn't fall off. I asked for a big strong horse because I am a bit fat and the old cowboy assured me they were all strong. I think you have to go with an open mind and a sense of adventure. The waterfalls were beautiful and worth the ride to go swimming in. The highllight of the adventure was the river tubing. We went at the end of the dry season so the river was low (you might hit your butt on a few rocks over the rapids) but the scenery was lovely. It was a gorgeous day to float lazily along with green canopy and igaunas overhead. I'd like to go back some time when the river is higher and there is more actual 'whitewater' to make it more exciting. We did the mud spa thing at the end of the day. Again, there could be more information on how to get there, what to do once you are there, etc. It wasn't what I thought it would be but it was fun nonetheless. I think I needed one more day so we could do some of the hikes and see the natural hot springs.
Overall, it's like a motel summer camp ranch with some friendly staff. Rooms are priced about right, food is a little pricey and average, mojitos are awesome, and the all-day adventure is a great deal. It wasn't what I thought it would be like from the website. It was bigger and more touristy, but still a good idea.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Heather M
Reviewed June 1, 2011

We loved the zip lining!!!

Of all the things to do in Costa Rica do the zip lining. This was our favorite place.

Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed May 26, 2011

Stayed at the Hacienda for 2 nights in May with my brother while we explored the area. The grounds of the hotel are very nice, however the rooms need serious updating. The lines (bed and bath) are very dated and my shower had some mold growing in it.

This hotel sort of has a lock on accomodations in this remote area and I think the attitude of the staff is very reflective of this. I found none of the staff especially friendly and thought a few members of the front desk staff downright rude.

The one nice thing is that the adventure center is right on the grounds and I felt was reasonably priced for the combo day which consisted of zip-lining, tubing, horseback riding and the mud springs at the spa.

I wish I would have explored some of the other options in the area a bit more. I would try not to stay here next time if possible.

Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Chicagotraveler0124
Reviewed May 26, 2011

we saw tons of rainforest wildlife, we had a wide selection of activities which were all very well planned and staffed. Almost everyone speaks some english. Food was average but free breakfast and free lunch with 1 day pass was a great value and were both full buffets. It is ideal to have a car when there if u want to go to different locations otherewise u can pay $5 per person for a ride from the hotel staff

• Stayed: May 2011
1  Thank frankblock
Reviewed May 23, 2011

This totally exceeded our expectations! The ranch was beautiful + awesome private horsebacking (thanks Rafael & Petra!) amazing ziplining and rafting (thanks Gyro and Bojan!) and the fresh fajitas and mojitos at dinner totally won us over :) We can't wait to return!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends