Hacienda Guachipelin
US$134
US$110
  • Breakfast included
Buena Vista Lodge & Adventure(Rincon de La Vieja)(Great Value!)
US$77
US$56
  • Breakfast included
Canon de la Vieja Lodge(Rincon de La Vieja)
US$94
US$90
  • Breakfast included
Rinconcito Lodge(Rincon de La Vieja)(Great Value!)
  • Pool
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
La Anita Rainforest Ranch(Rincon de La Vieja)
Hotels.com
1,517 results
All reviewsnational parkriver tubingday adventurehorseback ridinghot springszip lininggrand tourcosta ricaadventure centerday passfree shuttledinner buffeta la carte menuwhite water tubingcanopy tourbuffet stylegreat adventure
Reviewed August 14, 2011

We stayed at Hacienda Guachepelin for 3 nights and generally had a very good time, so I will start with the positives...

We had a superior room, which was quite large with two double beds. The bathroom was also very big and clean. Cable TV and AC available. There are some nice hammocks just outside the room overlooking a scenic courtyard. I'd recommend the superior rooms (which were only about $10 per night extra) because they are about a 5 minute walk away from the main part of the hotel, which keeps you away from the smell of the horses and noise from tour buses.

The grounds in general were beautiful. The hotel area itself is well maintained and nicely landscaped. The grounds of the whole estate stretch out for hundreds of acres. We took several short hikes to beautiful waterfalls where you can swim and hot springs which are free for guests of the hotel. I would recommend having a 4x4 to get around the grounds or to get to the hotel. The 13km entrance road is not paved and very rocky, as are most of the roads on the estate. Distances to trailheads are also several kilometers.

The restaurant was just fine. Breakfast is included and substantial. Other meals had a choice between a decent (though repetitive) buffet that typically offered a salad bar, pasta, desert and some local cuisine for $18 or menu options that ranged from $10-20. It is a bit pricey, but considering how isolated the hotel is, they could certainly charge more if they wanted. We had no complaints.

As for the big problem with the hotel.... like most of the guests, we were intent on doing some of the adventure tours. Our whole reason for staying at the hotel for three nights was so that we could spread the tours out over several days rather than a single very rushed day with a long drive on each end. However, the adventure office is run totally separately from the hotel reception. There is no concierge or help from the hotel at all. It is clearly targeted at non-hotel guests or organized tours.

On the afternoon we arrived, we went to the adventure tours office and were told that, as guests of the hotel, we could come anytime, pay for the single day package of horseback riding, spa, tubing and canopy tour ($80) and go on the activities throughout our stay. Great! When we arrived the next day around 11am, we were told that almost everything was booked for that day and that we would have to pay for each of the activities separately. We then talked to another employee... and another... each gave us a different set of prices and times. It became clear that by booking separately, it would cost us about twice as much money. So, what is the incentive to stay at the hotel for multiple days (giving them more money) and spreading out the trips? You'd save money and ensure that you wouldn't be shut out of any trips by staying elsewhere and booking the one day pass.

That said, we ended up going on the white water tubing tour and the canopy tour. Both were very well organized and very, very fun. Our initial frustration aside, it was a great day. My only complaint about the tours themselves were that the groups were pretty large, so there was a lot of wait time, especially on the canopy tour.

Room Tip: Superior Rooms are larger and quieter
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ElectricMayhem
Reviewed August 11, 2011

This was the single best place we went to in Costa Rica overall -- the activities, the foods, the excellent service and extremely friendly staff all made this place very special. The food was very good, and the restaurant staff were very friendly. The "adventure" wing of our family did the more active stuff -- zip-lines, tubing, rafting and horseback riding -- and it was all awesome. The staff at the Adventure Center were excellent, safety conscious, very friendly and professional. I can't speak for the "soak in a hot spring" wing of the family except to say they came back more relaxed and happy than I've seen them in a long time.

The hotel staff were top-notch. The rooms were simple but extremely clean and well maintained . . . quite a feat in the tropics if you ask me and much appreciated. This is a great value; there's something for everyone;

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank John C
jbatalla, Owner at Hacienda Guachipelin, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2011

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with the TA community. Sorry to hear that you did not try the hot springs, but it is necessary to leave something for a next visit. I am glad the you enjoyed the tropical setting. I will make sure that the staff will hear about your impressions.
Thanks,

Reviewed August 11, 2011

We were there for 2 nights and could have stayed longer. The staff was very friendly. knowledgeable and accommodating and the room was simple but clean and airy.
The food was very good, especially the local fare.
And of course, the activities were amazing. As I said, great memories for a lifetime.
And we loved the friendly dogs who were there to greet us and keep us company if we wanted it.
I highly recommend this to anyone who is active and looking to experience everything Pura Vida is all about.
Costa Rica at it's best!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ron B

Thank you for the nice review.
I am glad to hear about the dogs. They are friendly and good company, specially for the hike to Chorreras waterfall. We are glad to hear about the local flavor of the food. We try to have the local feeling with the marimba music, the hand made tortillas and the fire wood flavor. We hope that you can visit with your family again soon.
Thanks !!!!

Reviewed August 9, 2011

Hello,
This was a very pleasant place to stay. The staff was so nice. We went horseback riding to a waterfall. The guide that took us was great. I didn't know that we were allowed to go swimming at the waterfall, so I didn't want to miss this opportunity and took a dip with my clothes on.

I had a wonderful one hour massage. Sorry I can't remember the masseuse's name.

The dog that was at the hotel followed me each time I left my room. He would stay at my door at night like he was guarding me.

The hard part was traveling to the hacienda from Liberia. It was a rocky dirt road. Many, many bumps ahead for a good hour it seems.

I would definitely recommend this place.

Nora Chris Gargoff and Chanock Richka

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ncwindchimer

Hello!!!
Thanks for sharing your thought with us. It is important for us to know your impressions, of course the TA community appreciates that too.
You are right about the road, and that is an issue to some of our guests. Other guests actually enjoy the feel of a gravel road. Today the road has 17 Km from #1 up to Guachipelin. Sometimes it is in better condition.
we are glad that you enjoyed the dip in the waterfall and the massage.
It will be a pleasure to have you as a guest again.

Reviewed August 9, 2011

We stayed there for 2 nights. Service was decent.
The room was clean.
Location: great! There is so much to do and to see.
The restaurant had nice meals on the menu, or you could choose the buffet.
Breakfast was a buffet.
If your a geust in this hotel you could use the natural rio negro hot springs for free. A great place in the middle of nature to get a nice rest after a hike.

If you have time left in the day: walk to the red pond: beautyfull place! We've seen many monkeys, nice birds. Water was great to swim there!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple