New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Peaceful spot with something for everyone” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hacienda Guachipelin

Hacienda Guachipelin
new jersey
“Peaceful spot with something for everyone”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

This hotel is a great find. Although it accommodates many travelers, it feels peaceful and intimate; you can easily find a quiet spot to sit and read or watch nature, and you can just as easily arrange to go zip lining or tubing. There is free transportation, leaving every two hours or so, to the park and thermal pools. But even if you don't go to the park, there's lots to do. Some beautiful falls are just a mile or so from the hotel.

The staff were just lovely, very attentive and gracious. We ate from the buffet and were delighted by the quality of the food. The fish is especially good.

All in all, a lovely place with something for everyone--and only thirty minutes from Liberia.

Room Tip: Travellers who have im
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank crocus47
jbatalla, Manager at Hacienda Guachipelin, responded to this review, 1 March 2012
Dear friend, thank you very much for your comments, we feel very happy that you had such a great time with us and enjoyed all our activities for all ages and likes, we hope to see you soon back with us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Victoria, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2012

The Hacienda Guachipelin is in a great location just minutes (by car) to the national park. The spa was a great experience. For 5000 colones($10) you get to do the 6 step volcanic mud painting. It was great fun, and made our skin very soft. Our room was clean, was very quiet. But I must say the beds where the most uncomfortable thing I have ever slept in, in my life. They felt like they where from the 70's. This is the reason I'm giving this hotel 3 out of 5. I had a horrible sleep both nights I stayed here. The food was great, But I would recommend eating at the bar (which is below the main restaurant) they have the same menu as the main dinning room. But much more relaxed. The only waiter/bar tender was a great guy, very friendly had great recommendations from tasty drinks. Plus they allow the hotel dogs down there. Which we really enjoyed.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank IslandDrifter23
jbatalla, Manager at Hacienda Guachipelin, responded to this review, 21 February 2012
Hello friend, thanks for your post, we always take in consideration this kind of posts and they help us to get better everyday, we are so sorry you had a bad night, we change matresses constantly, not allowing them to go that bad. On the other hand we are glad you enjoyed the rest of the hotel, specially the mud baths, and the food at our bar with the dogs. :) Let us check what happenned with the bed, we hope to see you back.
santa rosa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2012

On this trip to Costa Rica we were surprised at a couple of hotels since the person at the reception desk really should be doing something else. Such was the case at the Hacienda Guachipelin. The receptionist rushed through a description of the place without really caring and then gave us incomplete or incorrect instructions to get to our room. In searching for them we ran into the manager or owner and he directed us correctly. In the process the receptionist showed up and of course was all charm and smiles. The CR people are really friendly and it should not be too difficult to find the right person for receptionist, except maybe for language abilities. We got over this unfortunate first impression and went on to have an interesting and pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Don't think there is an option to choose a room; all seemed about the same.
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank George v
jbatalla, Manager at Hacienda Guachipelin, responded to this review, 15 February 2012
Thank you very much for writing your comment, we feel very sorry for the inconvenience with the reception, we will investigate what happened, at the hotel we have what we call : The Costumer Service Committee and we analyze this situations and take action, believe me, we will do something about it. We hope that besides this you had a great time with us, and that you will consider coming back.
SANTA FE
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2012

We stayed 2 nights in a standard room, which was clean, quiet, ample and comfortable. Slept great. Drove up to the National Park and hiked extensively, used the pool each day, birdwatched, went to the Rio Negro Hot Springs, went on the horseback ride/tubing adventure, hiked to the lookout and swam beneath one of the waterfalls (outstandingly refreshing). Great place to relax if you don't want to engage in an active visit. The grounds and setting are beautiful.The staff and guides were very helpful when you seek out their help. The dining room has great views and the food was good, although a bit pricey, as are the drinks. The included breakfast was extensive; the fruit and juices were a favorite, but there is plenty of other food to satisfy anyone. Being a working ranch made this feel like a very authentic Costa Rican experience and we would come back to explore more of the area and activities on a future CR visit.

Room Tip: Liked that the standard rooms are near the pool, dining, and reception building
1 Thank BobL190
Thousand Oaks, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2012

This hotal/adventure destination is so much more than you expect. The location is between the national park volcano and an incredible river gorge. The hotel and food are great, but the activities are incredible. The volcano's crater lake is unbelievable. The birds and animals abound in the national park. The geysers and mud pots are better than Yellowstone. And then there is tubing through the river gorge, riding through the hotel's cattle ranch (it is a working ranch), or zip lining above the gorge. This is not your usual zip line - it is not just speed and height, it also has rapelling and rock wall climbing, in addition to breathtaking views of the river gorge. If you are anywhere near San Jose, you have to spend a couple of days at this adventure hotel.

Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Mike T
jbatalla, Manager at Hacienda Guachipelin, responded to this review, 14 February 2012
Thank you very much Mike, for your comments, we feel very happy you enjoyed our food, adventure activites and the volcano. We hope to see you soon back with us.
PDX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2012

Over the past few days I have had the time of my life here at Hacienda Guachipelin.
I have rode horses, swam in pristine waters, jumping off of waterfalls, tubing down rivers and relaxing in hot springs.
Everywhere I went I was accompanied by the best guides I have had in Costa Rica. They were so helpful, informitive and friendly. Most of all they were profesional and it was obvious they love their jobs, who can blame them.
The horses were well trained and saddles comfortable, I loved the ride and have only rode a horse once before but felt very safe. We rode from the resort to a waterfall where I swam in beutiful celestial waters.
On another day I went tubing in the morning...extreemly fun and a great way to excape the heat of the day. Splashig down the rapids and drifting through calm pools there was never a dull moment and I felt taken care of the whole way. Everything, from the time I got off the bus at the put in all the way up to the towel the guides gave me before the bus ride back to the resort. When I reached the resort there was a delicious lunch buffet waiting for me.
In the afternoon I went to the Rio Negro hot springs to spend the second half of the day relaxing in the natural springs. After a mud bath and exploring the 5 pools, some hotter then others, and rinsing off in the showers there, I decided a massage was in order. These guys think of everything. I love it! First tubing in the cool waters, then soaking in hot springs and a mud bath finished by a massage.
The last day I spent at Hacienda Guachipelin I decided to explore the park and hiked to the bubbling mud pots and volcanic vents. While I was exploring the mud pots I ran into some of the guides who, were exploring the park on their day off. They offered to take me to the hot springs in the Santa Maria secotor of the park and of course I took them up on their offer.
The guides here really are so nice...even on their time off they offer to take me with them and show me the park. On the 6km hike we saw lots of wildlife including an ant eater, tucans, oropendula birds, and lots of colorful lizards and butterflies. The off duty guides were happy to answer my questions about the wildlife and native plants in the park. We reached the hotsprings and shared our luches and stories by the hot springs. On the hike back the fun continued and more wildlife was seen.
I will never forget my time here.
Highly recomended to anyone traveling in CR.
Great value and not even that expensive.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank evan m
Dear Evan, thanks much for the time to write all this beautiful comments, certainly safety is a priority for us, We are glad you noticed it. I will show this comment to all our staff, we feel happy you enjoyed that much this wonderful area of Costa Rica, we hope you can come back soon.
Leiden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2012

We spent a fantastic day in this national park and had a lovely lunch at the hacienda. The food was very nice, the people very polite. After lunch we did a canopy tour in this beautiful area and we had a very friendly and professional guide. After that we had a guided tour in the area with the local snakes, lizards and frogs. For me the boa Lulu was one of the highlights. Very special to hold a boa and wrap it around your neck. This guide was also very professional and obviously cared a lot about the wellbeing of this animals. There also was an amazing butterfly garden. When we left, we also saw 2 toucans, beautiful birds! We had a lovely day and I'll be happy to go back on our next trip to Costa Rica.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
jbatalla, Manager at Hacienda Guachipelin, responded to this review, 3 February 2012
Thanks a lot for your review, we feel glad that you enjoyed our activities and our food.
We hope to see you again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rincon de La Vieja
6.3 km away
Buena Vista Lodge
Buena Vista Lodge
#2 of 6 in Rincon de La Vieja

Been to Hacienda Guachipelin? Share your experiences!