All reviewshanging bridgessunset bartractor ridezip linehot springshorseback ridingcanopy tourjaguar restaurantcosta ricacoffee tastingwatch the sunsetsummer campmud baththere is no air conditioningsteam roomday triptwo nights
Reviewed March 14, 2018 via mobile

Buena Vista has great offerings and can suit a large group. So please read this knowing we all had a great time and wonderful experience. They accommodated over 80 people in group!There is a water slide, coffee tasting, zip-lines, suspension bridges, horseback riding and what was described to me as volcanic baths.

It was a lovely excursion that has some important caveats. I am a moderate in adventure due to past experiences in Mexico so I only did the horseback riding and the pools because I’ve done that so many times. So let me start there.

The team that saddles you up doesn’t speak English. This is not a problem for most, but I’m very short and I had to make gestures to show that my stirrups were too long as he was trying to send me off. There was no prep, no description and no instructions as to what the course and experience was going to be. If you have never ridden horseback or have had mild exposure, do not try this. I was very comfortable until I saw the rocky, down-hill trails we had to take! I would never take that horse ride again.

The poor horses seemed thirsty, tired and old so I also felt so bad. The last two hills had I not known what to do on too big a horse, I think I would have panicked or fell off. Ok so enough of that. Let’s say I was very relieved to get off the horse and into the relaxing baths.

The baths were my favorite part and why not, we had our private one with a swim up bar. So these baths are not in volcanic rock like Dominica. They are ceramic pools I’d say filled with natural water. There’s also a steam room and volcanic mud-all amazing.

So I mentioned not being an adventurist. I took the suspension bridges over the zip lining and they were so cool. We had monkeys and wildlife and views. Others took the zip-lines which I have learned to avoid. Consensus is the first two runs will make you want to bail (which one did and my adventurist husband also almost bailed), but the last we’re fun and “easy”. They were all so scared, they didn’t see the views or the wildlife nor did they learn about the nature like we we did.

Sorry all, I never write this long a review but there’s a lot here. So I’ll quickly say the water slide had no positive reviews. It looked fun and crazy but we were there in March so the water was described as very cold. It was also very fast and described as scary because at the start, you feel you can fly out.

There are many good notes. This is a great place to visit. Overall everyone said this was an awesome day and one of the best annual excursions we have ever had. The coffee experience didn’t get enough attention in my opinion but it was very good so I bought four bags of beans plus liquor and some sauces. The bridges and monkey and pools were amazing. And hey you can take a hay ride instead of the horses to the spas. I wish I was prompted to do that :)

Stayed: March 2018, travelled on business
aocampo, General Manager at Buena Vista Lodge & Adventure, responded to this reviewResponded March 16, 2018

Dear customer,

A warm greeting from Buena Vista Lodge!

We wish to express our deepest gratitude for your choice of our Eco Lodge & Adventure as your host on your recent visit.

We value and appreciate you share your experiences on Tripadvisor, about our activities, customer service and all the wonders that surround this adventure destination that involves relaxation, culture, education and wellness in the foothills of the volcano Rincón de la Vieja, Guanacaste, Costa Rica .

We are very happy to know that your visit was satisfactory. We will share your appreciation as feedback and motivation of our team, to continue improving with new tools that allow us to reach, the path of success and happiness of our customers.

We hope to be your hosts, again in the near future. We thank you, your choice in our tourist destination and we provide our email address; concierge©buenavistalodgecr.com Or aocampo©buenavistalodgecr.com to attend your kind queries and reservations.

Best Regards!!!

Reviewed March 4, 2018

The road makes you wonder where you will end up, but hang in there!
FIRST THING bring Bug spray and make sure you wear it and reapply it throughout the day. Next wear sunscreen!

We started out the day pretty early here arriving about 0930 and wondering if we would really spend the time until 5 pm. We spent the whole day there. We began by riding horses to the Thermal Baths. The Thermal baths are enjoyable and there are many to rotate between or just stay in one. The sauna is nice and allows you to relax before going over and applying the mud. Be sure to lie in the sun and let it dry before rinsing it off with cool water and closing up the pores of your skin.
They give you a tractor ride back down to the water slide, but the views of the volcano are pretty beautiful.

Next we had a small snack with some of the local people and them sharing with us some of their traditional food. It was delicious and the people were warm and friendly.
Next was the water slide, and while the pool at the bottom looks somewhat cloudy, the twists and turns of the slide make it worth the walk up the hill.
Lunch was good with many of their cultural dishes. The beef was really good along with the other choices. We didn't realize how hungry we had gotten doing the earlier activities.
Finished up with the zip line. Our youngest (7) went on the zip line and was fearless, she even decided to do it upside down. It was a great day spent as a family.

The staff were helpful and friendly. While we spoke very little Spanish, they were very good to try to help us in our English language.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family
aocampo, Gerente at Buena Vista Lodge & Adventure, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2018

Dear Customer,

Greetings from Buena Vista Lodge!

We wish to thank you for your kind comments so positive lived in our Eco Lodge.

Indicate that we are very motivated by your positive comments, in reference to our activities, customer service and all the wonders that surround this adventure destination that involves relaxation, culture, education and wellness in the foothills of the Rincón de la Vieja volcano, Guanacaste , Costa Rica. We wish to express our happiness for your kind comments so positive that you and your family lived in our Eco Lodge.

We hope in the near future, to have the honor of being your hosts. We thank you on behalf of Buena Vista Lodge and we provide you with our email addresses: info@buenavistalodgecr.com and concierge@buenavistalodgecr.com, to provide you with excellent attention as you deserve it.

Reviewed February 28, 2018

The long, bumpy road is well worth what awaits you, when you arrive at Buena Vista Lodge. The rooms are large and are cooled by just opening the windows. The food is good and we had excellent service. Be sure to head up to the bar on the hill to enjoy a beautiful location to view the sunset. The zipline and mud baths were fun.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled with friends

Hello Dear Customer,

Greetings from Buena Vista Lodge!

We wish to express our gratitude, for your choice of our Eco Lodge & Adventure, as your host on your recent visit.

We value and appreciate that you have taken the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor, about our activities, customer service and all the wonders surrounding this adventure destination that involves relaxation, culture, education and wellness in the surroundings of the Rincon de la Volcano. Vieja, Guanacaste, Costa Rica.

We are very happy that your stays will be carried out satisfactorily with our services. We have strived to provide a memorable experience to our important guests. We will share your feedback as feedback and motivation of our team, to continue improving with new products that trace us, the path of success.

We hope, have the honor of being your hosts, again in the near future and we provide our email address to aocampo©buenavistalodgecr.com or concierge©buenavistalodgecr.com, to attend to your kind concerns and provide you with the attention you deserve.

Best Regards!!!

Reviewed February 24, 2018 via mobile

We stayed here for 3 nights arriving in a hire car with a plan to drive out to the National park.
The car didn’t cost much more than the hotel transport or a taxi but provided freedom.

We stayed in room 201. Well situated with parking close by and on the far end of the accommodation so no passing noise.
Before I’d unpacked I saw an Agouti outside the room and multiple birds of many colours. We used the nearby sunset bar for exactly that purpose and enjoyed our welcome cocktails.
Behind our room on the very windy hill top where we enjoyed a display of a star filled sky before retiring.
In the morning, what’s that noise? Upon investigation and walking a short distance the helpful friendly staff showed us a troop of howler monkeys. I counted nine which included a baby being carried and other youngsters too.
We almost missed breakfast!

Then we started walking but picked on a track behind our room to avoid people. Sorry, we are not fans :)
Within a hundred metres we saw another troop of howler monkeys, a variety of birds and about ten coatis.
We walked to the hot springs (spa) which was free, well organised and professional. Professional and friendly was common :)

Whilst available we did not use the paid for activities but hiked around ourselves. This place seems mainly to cater for the tour operators.
We found waterfall Catarata with no people and a fresh chilly swim in stunning surroundings. We did the hanging bridge walk which we highly recommend. Here we easily saw howler monkeys, white faced monkeys and below coatis, snakes, toucan, woodpecker, multiple other birds and the list goes on. We did this 3 times and couldn’t fail to see the howlers. It is also not bad for a sunrise either.
We paid for trips in Monteverde and from La Fortuna earlier in our trip. Yeap we enjoyed them but the wildlife here is more obviously abundant and so easy to see.
Best however to explore in couples, not groups. Walk slowly and enjoy. Don’t forget to look up, and down and around!!!!

On the plus side, with the exception of the canteen (restaurant) staff they all appeared very happy, helpful and pleased we were enjoying our trip.
The room was good, very very dark after hours! We asked for a fridge which was supplied at no cost.

We tasted great coffee at the coffee tour which was free and again the staff were great.

On the negative side, the canteen management was poor. They seemed unable to manage a party reservation. Why a party needed to reserve a sit nearby at breakfast im unsure. All tables were set out as individual which actually was a whole lot better than the noisy group table the night before.
We were asked to move whilst eating and the party never turned up during the first hour of breakfast anyway. Others were also asked to move. We suggested a notice on the table which they eventually did for two of the four reserved tables. Oh well we tried.
The egg guy server was unable to identify who he just spoke to and asked twice at least the same questions eg what do you want in your omelette or do you want your eggs turned. Then after getting it wrong anyway would serve it to whoever was in front of him at the time. He appeared to ineffectively manage his only job for the day, each day.
At dinner they ran out of all but 2 of the puddings despite being at less than half capacity. I was not informed of limited choices prior to ordering my meal so was disappointed. Had I known I would have had starter.
The meal however was ok but quite light on quantity and heavy on price by comparison.
The canteen area was rather dark and the terrible musico para desayunos repeating on the managers laptop was too loud. Same each setting. We were glad to get out.

So, the hire car came in handy and we travelled to nearby Cañas dulces to El Mirador restaurant for the evening meal. It was far better food, better service, larger portions, cheaper and came with a 180 degree panoramic sunset view. Yes I know Beuna Vista has a sunset bar but the layout doesn’t lend itself to table seating with views.

So, it was a nice place, well organised, clean and well maintained. Definitely worth a visit but I’d recommend if you have transport to avoid their canteen (main restaurant)

Have fun!

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple

Hello Sr. Paolo,

Greetings from Buena Vista Lodge!

We are very happy that your stay was successful. We have strived to provide a memorable experience to our important guests.

We will share your feedback as feedback and motivation of our team, to continue improving with new products that trace us, the path of success, especially in the Mirador restaurant with the details it tells us.

Reviewed February 14, 2018

We did not stay at the hotel and came for the day. This is a very big place.

The zipline was fun. Keep in mind the first line is the longest then they get progressively shorter. Some of the guides on the platforms were super friendly and helpful and a couple that were not (hope they can continue to get good people).

The waterslide was freezing but fun. A bit refreshing at the end.

I really enjoyed the lunch we had with some local Costa Rican food.

We skipped the horse back ride and took tractor to the spa. The spa was cool and a very nice place to relax and hang out for the day.

All in all I would come back if I was near here.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled on business