All reviews pools stretch chuy property amenities uruguay
Reviewed June 7, 2016

My wife and I were on a driving holiday around Uruguay. We had no hotel reservations, just grabbing what we could get when we could get it. This hotel is located by the beach, near the border with Brazil. I reserved our room over the Internet, based solely on their photos and description. Bad move.

This hotel is not hard to find, but after you leave the paved road, you have to drive down a rutted dirt entrance driveway, which I found rather disconcerting, especially given the rates that they charge. The hotel grounds are nice, but there is lots of standing water, and the first thing I thought of was mosquitoes. The thoughts of zika immediately came to mind.

Upon our check in we were given a key to a room on the first floor, but since they use the European system of counting floors, the first floor was one level up. I wouldn't mind, except there is no elevator, and the stairwell is very steep and there is no handrail. Not safe, especially when dragging a heavy suitcase up and down the stairs.

We went to the room to look at it before we brought our suitcases from the car. I am glad we did. As soon as we opened the door, a wave of nauseating aroma hit us like a blast of hot air hits you when you step outside in the desert in summer. This room stank badly. It smelled like a combination of mold, bleach and cigarette smoke. We looked around and discovered that there was mold, yes mold growing on the vents of the in-the-wall heater/air conditioner. I took a tissue from the bathroom and wiped one of the louvers, and later showed this to the manager. Next we stepped out on the patio/balcony. Every room has one, and they are spacious. I walked to the end of this balcony, and was disgusted to find a pile of forty or fifty cigarette butts lying on the floor beside the rubber floor mat. That was it. I wad done with that room.

We went back downstairs and informed the manager of what we found. When I showed them the tissue with the mold they were very apologetic. We were showed two more rooms, and we selected one of those.

It was better, but this is still a very old hotel, and even though they are trying hard to make it grand again, the effort falls short, especially given the rates they they charge.

The room was adequate, and that is the best I can say for it. The hotel itself is indeed historic in some regards. The grounds are pretty and well maintained, except for the entrance road. The fireplace at night in the lobby was a nice touch. The breakfast (included) was decent, but not up to the level that I would expect at a hotel that is so highly rated by everyone. Don't get me wrong, there is adequate food, but I have a feeling most of the pastries are delivered frozen and then just baked on-site.

We did have dinner at the restaurant, and that was very nice. I have no problems with their dining room, except this is another restaurant where the acoustics are not good, and noisy conversation at any table in the restaurant makes it loud for everyone. I did find the food tasteful and well prepared.

Since this is the only hotel in the area, you really do not have much choice. You can stay here or keep driving.

Depends on how tired you are.

Room Tip: Make sure you check for mold and cigarette butts. There is absolutely no excuse for either. None.
  • Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed April 19, 2016

This hotel is gradually being updated, the basics are there. Nice big rooms and large common areas surrounded by manicured lawns and a few friendly and not so friendly dogs. Food is good and substantial breakfasts. Good place to stop off en route.

• Stayed: April 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed November 8, 2015 via mobile

Friendly staff. Good place to rest. Food very tasty. There was a dog that was also very fruendly and playful.
There are two swimming pools, one outside and inside, so there is no excuse, bring your bath suit.

Stayed: December 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed March 5, 2015

A delightful hotel, a bit dated like many things in Uruguay, but beautifully situated in extensive manicured grounds, with three pools, and a short walk to a magnificent lonely beach. If you've just come from the border, this is a wonderful place to clean off the dust and luxuriate in lovely surroundings with attentive staff and decent food for breakfast and dinner

Room Tip: Sea view means standing on tiptoes and looking through the palm trees, but you do have a large patio to sit out and enjoy the view of the extensive gardens
  • Stayed: March 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed February 9, 2015

We spent one summer week in Parque Oceanico and overall we enjoyed our stay – although we would have appreciated if the hotel improved certain areas.
Location of this hotel is great. It’s set in beautiful palm’s park with direct access to 2miles long nice sandy beach. The beach is great for walking and jogging, perhaps bit less suitable for swimming as it’s quite wavy – not dangerous but rather inconvenient to swim. The hotel has two outdoor and one indoor pool – all nicely maintained. It’s part of bigger property that also includes farm so it has environmental feel with cattle, horses and sheep. The area also has lots of wild birdlife – the bird singing sound on the hotel website is not a lie.
The hotel – which has about 30 rooms – is quite old, which unfortunately is reflected in quality of rooms. While I don’t mind vintage feel of the whole property with all its old equipment and furniture, in certain aspects - particularly bathroom – it is uncomfortable. We had Lujo (luxury) room – included bedroom and living room – which was nice and had great view, but seeing some other rooms particularly those on the ground floor, I’m surprised that the hotel describes itself as 4-star. It’s rather something like 3 minus star.
The breakfast was tasty but repetitive. It had large selection of pastries but not vegetables at all, but it seems to be quite typical for Uruguay. The hotel also had restaurant opened for lunches and dinners (starting quite late at 8pm) – which was OK, but after eating there for a few days in the row, we really looked for something else. Location close to the farm also means that there were some flies in the hotel areas (not too many but enough to annoy us a bit). Btw, the rooms have protective nets in the windows so neither flies nor mosquitos were issue in the rooms
To eat (or have any other entertainment) elsewhere one needs to drive to Punta del Diablo, which is about 20mins or so away by car. There is smaller town of LaCoronilla, about 1km from the hotel, but there are only a handful of basic stores there.
In January the hotel was vibrant and busy with vacationing families from Uruguay and Brazil/Argentina, I guess, which was entertaining and nice.
Overall we had nice stay there although it would help a lot if the hotel gets some refurbishments and improves its restaurant.

• Stayed: January 2015, travelled with family