All reviews pools stretch chuy property amenities uruguay
Reviewed October 28, 2016 via mobile

Checked in late in the evening, and in spite of being hardly occupied the rate offered was the rack rate. Then came the bombs..., wifi was very very week in the room, AND, NO TV CABLE. They blamed the electric outage due to a severe storm that had just passed by, but at least they could have offered a discount on the already expensive rate.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS PLACE.

Dinner food was good though, and prices were reasonable.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mario V
Reviewed June 7, 2016

My wife and I were on a driving holiday around Uruguay. We had no hotel reservations, just grabbing what we could get when we could get it. This hotel is located by the beach, near the border with Brazil. I reserved our room over the Internet, based solely on their photos and description. Bad move.

This hotel is not hard to find, but after you leave the paved road, you have to drive down a rutted dirt entrance driveway, which I found rather disconcerting, especially given the rates that they charge. The hotel grounds are nice, but there is lots of standing water, and the first thing I thought of was mosquitoes. The thoughts of zika immediately came to mind.

Upon our check in we were given a key to a room on the first floor, but since they use the European system of counting floors, the first floor was one level up. I wouldn't mind, except there is no elevator, and the stairwell is very steep and there is no handrail. Not safe, especially when dragging a heavy suitcase up and down the stairs.

We went to the room to look at it before we brought our suitcases from the car. I am glad we did. As soon as we opened the door, a wave of nauseating aroma hit us like a blast of hot air hits you when you step outside in the desert in summer. This room stank badly. It smelled like a combination of mold, bleach and cigarette smoke. We looked around and discovered that there was mold, yes mold growing on the vents of the in-the-wall heater/air conditioner. I took a tissue from the bathroom and wiped one of the louvers, and later showed this to the manager. Next we stepped out on the patio/balcony. Every room has one, and they are spacious. I walked to the end of this balcony, and was disgusted to find a pile of forty or fifty cigarette butts lying on the floor beside the rubber floor mat. That was it. I wad done with that room.

We went back downstairs and informed the manager of what we found. When I showed them the tissue with the mold they were very apologetic. We were showed two more rooms, and we selected one of those.

It was better, but this is still a very old hotel, and even though they are trying hard to make it grand again, the effort falls short, especially given the rates they they charge.

The room was adequate, and that is the best I can say for it. The hotel itself is indeed historic in some regards. The grounds are pretty and well maintained, except for the entrance road. The fireplace at night in the lobby was a nice touch. The breakfast (included) was decent, but not up to the level that I would expect at a hotel that is so highly rated by everyone. Don't get me wrong, there is adequate food, but I have a feeling most of the pastries are delivered frozen and then just baked on-site.

We did have dinner at the restaurant, and that was very nice. I have no problems with their dining room, except this is another restaurant where the acoustics are not good, and noisy conversation at any table in the restaurant makes it loud for everyone. I did find the food tasteful and well prepared.

Since this is the only hotel in the area, you really do not have much choice. You can stay here or keep driving.

Depends on how tired you are.

Room Tip: Make sure you check for mold and cigarette butts. There is absolutely no excuse for either. None.
  • Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed April 19, 2016

This hotel is gradually being updated, the basics are there. Nice big rooms and large common areas surrounded by manicured lawns and a few friendly and not so friendly dogs. Food is good and substantial breakfasts. Good place to stop off en route.

• Stayed: April 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed November 8, 2015 via mobile

Friendly staff. Good place to rest. Food very tasty. There was a dog that was also very fruendly and playful.
There are two swimming pools, one outside and inside, so there is no excuse, bring your bath suit.

Stayed: December 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed March 5, 2015

A delightful hotel, a bit dated like many things in Uruguay, but beautifully situated in extensive manicured grounds, with three pools, and a short walk to a magnificent lonely beach. If you've just come from the border, this is a wonderful place to clean off the dust and luxuriate in lovely surroundings with attentive staff and decent food for breakfast and dinner

Room Tip: Sea view means standing on tiptoes and looking through the palm trees, but you do have a large patio to sit out and enjoy the view of the extensive gardens
  • Stayed: March 2015, travelled as a couple