“Decent hotel in a quiet area”

Holiday Inn Express Encinitas - Cardiff Beach Area
Reviewed 8 August 2017

A pretty nice hotel in a residential area. Close to a couple of gas stations and a taco joint that's open pretty late. Parking can be a hassle if you return late at night as I did. The hotel room was adequate and pretty clean. The bathroom area could use a little refurbishing as I noticed that the ventilator fan cover was coming loose. Breakfast area can get crowded real fast so I suggest get what you want and bring it back to your room if seats run out.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
Andrew N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Encinitas - Cardiff Beach Area, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2017

Hi Irvan S, Thank you for the great review! Our breakfast area does get pretty busy during these summer months and we very much appreciate your patience. We hope to see you again the next time your travels bring you back to Encinitas. Best, Andrew Nintzel, GM

Reviewed 6 August 2017 via mobile

I will start with the positive... the breakfast that was Included in the room rate had an excellent selection. The staff at the front desk were very welcoming. The beds were comfortable.

Cleanliness was my biggest issue. The shower curtain was mold stained. There was a stain on my comforter that of course I didn't notice until it was too late. We returned to our room at 3:45 to get cleaned up to find that house keeping has not done our room yet and had to wait another half an hour although she did offer us new towels and to come back after we showered. Then when our room was finally done all she really did was change towels and make the beds.

Holiday Inn Express you need to step it up a notch when it comes to cleanliness.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
Andrew N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Encinitas - Cardiff Beach Area, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2017

Dear April z, I am sorry this was your experience. We take condition of items, such as shower curtains and blankets, very seriously, and I’m sorry these items were unsatisfactory. I will speak with the staff and will do everything possible to improve. We hope you can give us one more chance in the future. Sincerely, Andrew Nintzel, GM

Reviewed 31 July 2017

Brooke at the front reception was very kind to my family during a difficulty. The breakfast was good and the rooms well appointed. You will find this place relaxing and enjoy the proximity close tot the beach.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Andrew N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Encinitas - Cardiff Beach Area, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2017

Dear PamelaOvestOtravel, Thank you for the kind words regarding your summer stay. Brooke is a phenomenal asset for us, and I want to thank you personally for providing your feedback about how she handled your needs during a tough time. We hope to see you again in the near future. Best, AWN, GM

Reviewed 24 June 2017

Have stayed here a number of times over the years & each time has been a wonderful experience. Stayed for 2 nights this past week & had the pleasure of having LIZ check me in / assist me. Liz is sweet, professional & accommodating. Thank you Liz & Thank you Management for always having employees around with such a great attitude.
Breakfast is fabulous; The first morning they had mini omelets eggs, mini omelets egg whites, turkey sausage & pork sausage. The next day they had mini omelets egg whites, scrambled eggs, bacon & turkey sausage. That shows you that they care enough to mix it around a little so the guests have some variety from day to day. You don't see this often at other hotels. Thanks again Holiday Inn Cardiff for the great experience you offer.

Room Tip: Walk next door to Mexican take out, 99 cent fish taco's 24/7
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
Andrew N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Encinitas - Cardiff Beach Area, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2017

Dear geronimo248, Thank you for the kind words and for your comments regarding Liz. She does an outstanding job. We look forward to seeing you again.

Best,
AWN, GM

Reviewed 22 May 2017

We've stayed here on a number of occasions in the past. It's a former Country Inn location.

Never disappointed, and wasn't on this occasion either.

Comfortable room, good wifi, fridge, cable and more.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled on business
Andrew N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Encinitas - Cardiff Beach Area, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2017

Hi Laurie T, Thank you for writing such a great review! We look forward to seeing you again the next time you are in Encinitas!

Best,
AWN, GM

Reviewed 15 May 2017

The location is good, right off the freeway but not a lot of noise. Right next door to an authentic taco shop that is open 24 hours. I hotwired this and got a great deal. The beds were super comfy, the room is a nice size. Free standard continental breakfast.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled solo
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Encinitas - Cardiff Beach Area, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2017

Hi michael m,

Your business is much appreciated and thank you for leaving feedback. We are happy to know that you find our property close to your destination and that you were able to take advantage of the taco shop nearby and you find our beds comfortable. However you gave us an unsatisfactory rating on our level of value. Rest assured this matter will be taken up with our team for improvements necessary.

It is our goal to deliver honest service and your comments will be used for future improvements. Thank you for your patronage and we hope we get the pleasure of hosting you on your next visit in the area.

Ronald R.
Case Manager
IHGService

Reviewed 1 May 2017 via mobile

The hotel location was odd, it felt like we were in the middle of a residential community...it was definitely not by the sea. The lobby was okay but the entirety of the hotel feels and smells old. Phone cable falling off when you try and use it, lamp shades blinking with some minor movements near it bec. of loose plugs and then the wifi...you have to try at least 4 wifi networks to see which has the strongest reception from your room, it was even worse for us because we were given a mixed up passcode that's why i had to use their phone that didn't work because the cable was not attached to the phone bec of the loose cable. I had to call from my cellphone to reach them as I didn't want to go back to the lobby . I didn't complain to all that!

What I had to complain to them was the dog barking noise at around 10:30pm when I was about to sleep. The staff here were nice at least and was apologetic and gave us a discount.

This Holiday Inn is definitely not one of those that you would come back to stay again, there are nicer Holiday Inns in the area and probably closer to the sea as well.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
Andrew N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Encinitas - Cardiff Beach Area, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2017

Dear _yyc_trvlr_, Unforuntenly we cannot change the location of the hotel, and I am sorry you felt like we were in poor location. I do apolgize about the phone in the guestroom, as it should be working at all times. As far as the dog barking, I wish we could stop this as well, but there are some homes behind the hotel, and it is not something we can control. Thank you for your comments about the staff and I do hope you give us another chance in the future.

Andrew Nintzel, GM

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cardiff-by-the-Sea
1.1 km away
9.2 km away
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Carlsbad Beach
8.7 km away
Cape Rey Carlsbad, a Hilton Resort

Been to Holiday Inn Express Encinitas - Cardiff Beach Area? Share your experiences!