All reviews san diego front desk taco shop free breakfast pool and hot tub would stay here again yogurt biscuits and gravy price range ice machine hi express beds were comfortable close proximity the location is perfect decent hotel hotel room parking lot
Reviewed September 30, 2017

I haven't stayed at a Holiday Inn since I was a kid. Based on good reviews and the price point of just over $150 (not cheap, but not too expensive)I thought it would be a good spot to stop over just for some sleep on a road trip. Didn't do as much research as I would for a vacation hotel. Booked a standard room with king or queen (hotel chooses) on Hotels.com. Pulling up, I was immediately a little taken aback by the location and parking lot. I knew it was right off the freeway, but it shares a lot with a gas station, the only other things around are more gas stations. Area seemed kind of grimy. The pool is in the middle of the parking lot literally between cars, and cars were parked haphazardly throughout the lot. It looked like somewhere the Griswalds would end up in the middle of nowhere. However, the lobby was clean and modern and I figured the room would be fine.

My room (227) was a nightmare. When you get off the elevator, you realize the elevator opens to a small,tiled "elevator room", which is not uncommon. To the right is a carpeted hallway with a corridor full of rooms. But not my room! My room was five feet to the left of the elevator door housed in the same "elevator room". (SEE PICTURES) I immediately knew this wasn't going to be the quietest room, but it was late and I was too tired to go back to the lobby or put up a fight.

I opened the door and turned the light switch on, but no light. Stumbled around the dark room to find a lamp. That's when I realized this was a strangely configured "suite". The first room was a large, creepy, dark, sparsely furnished room (one stained couch). SEE PICTURES. The bedroom was tiny with what I would say is a double bed. There is no AC unit in the bedroom, so you have to keep the door to the creepy room open (and the AC in the room was a very large, loud window unit). Still, I just wanted to sleep so I went to bed. I slept ok from 11pm to 5am when the early travelers started to rise and use the elevator. I woke startled to the sound of a man coughing and I would have sworn he was in my room. He was using the elevator. I could hear everyone waiting for the elevator talking (not mumbles, but could hear entire conversations) and could hear the elevator door bell ring every single time it opened.

In the morning I realized that the screen to one of the windows is off (NOT SAFE) and sitting on the ground next to the window. I had a hideous view of some giant equipment, debris, cables and even a broom laying about (SEE PICTURES) Seedy and unsafe.

The bathroom shower was crusty (See Pictures)

I can't understand who is giving this place god reviews. I have to assume it is people who have paid $89 and so the room met their expectations. It's exactly what I would expect of Motel 6 on the side of the road. I paid over $150. There are plenty of nice, clean modern rooms in the area in that price range (and even cheaper). You don't have to stay in a seedy hotel. I hope when I've had a chance to rest, take a shower and the sting of paying over $150 for a roach motel wears off, I can laugh at my Griswald like adventure. But either way, I would never pay to stay here again and advise to stay away!

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
2  Thank tlcinsc
Andrew N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Encinitas - Cardiff Beach Area, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2017

Dear tlcinsc, I am really sorry you had this experience while staying with us. Unfortunately, this is the one room in the hotel we are not pleased with, because of its position near the elevator or the air conditioning units. We hope that the next time you pass through you can give us one more opportunity to put you in a room that will be away from the elevator and the noise issues you experienced. I am very sorry this room made your trip unpleasant; please, do not hesitate to reach out to me to discuss this further at 760-944-0427.

Andrew Nintzel, GM

Reviewed September 14, 2017

Stayed here while making our way to Anaheim. We booked thru Orbitz and for California, the price was fantastic. We especially appreciated the free breakfast after a long day of travel. We have not stayed at a Holiday Inn Express in ages and although it didn't have many amenities like a resort, it was perfect for a good nights sleep and a clean shower.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Andrew N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Encinitas - Cardiff Beach Area, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2017

Hi Rustymacarthur, Thank you for the kind review. We are glad we could be a nice stopover during your recent trip. We look forward to seeing you again in the future!

Best,
AWN, GM

Reviewed September 5, 2017

I first stayed here 3 years ago (from a Hotwire booking) and I keep coming back. The hotel staff is great, the room was clean and comfortable. The breakfast is excellent, and the location is perfect for enjoying the coast. The small Mexican restaurant next door is also fantastic.

The only thing that could be improved is the lighting in the room. I found it very dim. The noise level is about average, and the rooms pass some sound but generally not too bad.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo

Dear mountain820, Thanks for showing all your invaluable loyality! We love taking care of you and can't wait to see you again!

Best,
AWN, GM

Reviewed September 3, 2017 via mobile

The rooms are a good size, beds are ok. BUT THE CARPET IS SOOOOO DIRTY!!!! Paid over $500 for two nights but what a rip off for a dirty room. We had to change a room, but it still wasn't clean. Kids had to stay with shoes on all the time.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank sbvera
Andrew N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Encinitas - Cardiff Beach Area, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2017

Dear sbvera, I am sorry about the condition of the carpet. Coming out of the summer season is always challenging, as our daily occupancy really puts a toll on the guest room carpets. Please be rest assured we have begun a deep cleaning carpet program this week. We really hope you can give us another opportunity in the future.

Andrew Nintzel, GM

Reviewed August 8, 2017

A pretty nice hotel in a residential area. Close to a couple of gas stations and a taco joint that's open pretty late. Parking can be a hassle if you return late at night as I did. The hotel room was adequate and pretty clean. The bathroom area could use a little refurbishing as I noticed that the ventilator fan cover was coming loose. Breakfast area can get crowded real fast so I suggest get what you want and bring it back to your room if seats run out.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
Andrew N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Encinitas - Cardiff Beach Area, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2017

Hi Irvan S, Thank you for the great review! Our breakfast area does get pretty busy during these summer months and we very much appreciate your patience. We hope to see you again the next time your travels bring you back to Encinitas. Best, Andrew Nintzel, GM