“Barely Acceptable Hotel” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rodeway Inn Near Legoland

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Rodeway Inn Near Legoland
Ranked #35 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
Auburn, California
“Barely Acceptable Hotel”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2012

Sorry to say, this hotel is a "pass" on my list. It was reasonably priced and the room was clean. Those are the pluses. Minuses include extensive construction going on (including the pool area, making it unusable, of course), broken blow dryer in the room, old TV with basic cable that worked on only a few channels, unpleasant & unkempt front desk staff, no coffeemaker (though it was listed as an amenity), and no table in the room to seat & eat a snack or write a note. There was a nice refrigerator (no freezer) and microwave in the room, but everything - including lamps - was unplugged, so it was necessary to move things around, crawl on the floor, and plug in what you needed to use. No WiFi in the room, though it apparently was available somehow (I choose not to pursue it). One plus is that, although it is right on the freeway, it was quiet. The price was reasonable, too, but there is an Econo-Lodge a few doors down that had competitive prices and looked to be a much nicer place. I would pass on this one if there are rooms available at the Econo-Lodge.

Room Tip: Rooms toward the back were quiet, had less freeway noise.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank travelgubbie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Polish first
Reno, Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2011

I actually accidently booked this hotel through Orbitz thinking I’d booked a different property. I realized my error upon arrival to Carlsbad and headed, with a bit of dread, to the Roadway. Of course, prior to my arrival, I looked up the Roadway Inn on Tripadvisor to see what others were saying and if I should simply cancel the booking and stay at the property I’d thought I’d originally booked. I noted that the reviews were mixed and giving in to my eternal frugality, I decided to give it a try.

I can say that I was indeed surprised at the value for a $60.00 per night room. I grew up in this area and know how old this hotel is and what it used to be like. They OBVIOUSLY renovated as it was on its dying breath when I last saw it a number of years ago. While I see many reviewers complaining about the hotel staff, I found the lady who checked me in to be polite and friendly. My room was clean with all the amenities needed for an overnight stay. The room had a flat screen TV, little refrigerator and microwave, king size bed (it was only me there), and all needed toiletries. I always request the second floor (which I was granted) and was on the back end of the hotel, so freeway noise was unnoticeable. I found the bed very comfortable and the room overall perfectly fine for my needs on this trip. In the morning, they provided coffee, juice and boxed pastries, all of which were fine for a morning snack. Lastly, the hotel was completely full but I never heard anybody around me.

I again advise those using these reviews as a travel guide to disregard reviewers that are complaining about the small breakfast, room size or other amenities that they feel they should have been provided to them. This is a very old hotel and if you look hard enough, you will find flaws. These rooms go for approximately $60.00 per night! As a former partner in an accounting firm, I can say that owning and operating a hotel is very expensive. When considering mortgages, utilities, insurances, payroll, taxes and operational expenses, to think you are going to be in a high-end, all inclusive hotel at $60.00 (or even $100.00) per night is simply not reasonable. Those reviewers should move on down the road to the Four Seasons ($325.00 per night) or perhaps the Park Hyatt ($375.00 per night) where they can expect the amenities that they are then paying for. For everybody else that is looking for a clean, budget friendly hotel, this is definitely one to have on their list. I would definitely stay at this property again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the top floor in the back of the property to avoid freeway noise.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank IBeCookin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2011

It was nice and quite. The rooms were clean and the cleaning staff was very friendly and efficient. In was most surprised to find that the king size bed we had was very comfortable. The only bad thing was that the Internet connection was slow but at the same time your not paying anything extra for it so I cant really complain. Restaurants and night life was just down the road, not even 5 minute drive.

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank Dogslady
Oxnard, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2011

We were going to Legoland and were looking for a decent hotel with a good price, the price was right but the hotel wasn't for us. We were in a room that the toilet broke I talked to the front desk before we left for Legoland and she said it would be fixed.We got back that night and it was still not working the manager came over and flushed it and said you need to wait a few seconds and it didn't work for him either it was almost like he didn't believe us. The room wasn't cleaned he asked if we left the do not disturb on the door I don't believe we did so in the end he moved us to a different room, the blow dryer didn't work in that room. The rooms seem to have the appearance of clean but because of the carpeting felt dirty. The pillows on the bed are like little throw pillows and not very comfy. The staff was decent as far as they did give us a different room don't count on the breakfast not much to it. Overall this to me is a place if you have no other choice and have been driving for awhile and just need a place to sleep and get back on the road, not a family staying for two days of fun.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Fort Bragg, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2011

I checked into my room with my two grandsons and immediately heard yelling in the next room. I hoped it was going to be a short argument but it continued on for over 1/2 hour - the kids got scared and my son (who was in another room) went to the Manager. He came down and the argument ceased.
What bothered me was that it was the hotel's maintenance man and his wife who live in that room.
Not a pleasant way to stay overnight.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank QscarFelix1
Hyland727, General Manager at Rodeway Inn Near Legoland, responded to this review, 9 August 2011
This review is incorrect. We do not have a "hotel maintenance man and wife" who live on the property. I apologize for the noise and am happy the manager on duty was able to resolve the issue immediately.
las vegas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2011

Unacceptable service for a choice hotel. Returned from legoland beds not made and room window open. management had no excuse. And maid took towels out of room. Didnt replace towels until i complained about service.

Room Tip: stayed two days but management didnt care for prepaid customer
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank kkett01
Hyland727, General Manager at Rodeway Inn Near Legoland, responded to this review, 30 July 2011
Thank you for your concerns. Our procedure for cleaning stay over guests' rooms is to first take out dirty towels and sheets and then come back a little later to clean. However we were understaffed during your stay and could not reach your room as quickly as we would normally would have. The windows are slightly opened to allow fresh air. I hope this clarifies the matter and thank you again for staying with us.
Suzhou
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2011

We didn't expect much of this place, having stayed there a couple of years before it was renovated, but we were pleasantly surprised this time. Our room was beautiful, cozy and super clean. The pool was ok although noisy since it's basically next to the freeway. We liked that it's walking distance to shopping and restaurants.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family