“Carlsbad a Nice Local Getaway”

MarBrisa Carlsbad Resort
Ranked #15 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 2 August 2017

The MarBrisa was a nice getaway that offered us the convenience of something local where we were able to pack and cook some of our own food on the nice outdoor grilling equipment that was available to us.

If you get a chance go to Vigilucci's Seafood & Steakhouse, you will not be disappointed with the food or the service.

Room Tip: Depending on need you can request a room with no steps to climb.
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
GPR S, Manager at MarBrisa Carlsbad Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2017

Thank you, Lowell, for your review. Sounds like you had a good time in Carlsbad - come again sometime!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,426)

Reviewed 30 July 2017

Came in for a Time Share presentation for a couple of nights. First the good (to be fair). The one bedroom suite assigned was very clean and modern. Nice granite counters in the spacious kitchen, nice dining table, pull out sofa bed in the living room was with an upgraded mattress so pretty comfortable as far as those can be. Bathroom was large with double sinks, nice tall shower head and huge soaking tub. Seemingly a great value at first glance.

Now for the cons. First, the room we were assigned was on the first floor of a building with no elevator. I thought that was illegal nowadays to not have handicap access? The stairs down to the first floor were partly blocked by spider webbing which made it more inconvenient. We had a lot of luggage from what was a two week visit to California and this was not pleasant to deal with late at night. Might have been able to call for assistance, but we just wanted to get the bags in quickly and to bed.

Second, we were placed in a building far off from the pool. Were told we could access the pool at the Sheraton, but that did not seem desirable. Third, the parking was insufficient. We were lucky to get the last space which was extra side parking and not close to the stairs.

In general, the building and experience seemed like we were not really part of a hotel with staff or services. Yes, there was a main check in building, but it seemed remote and not like a resort. Maybe the Sheraton building or other buildings have a different feel? Also, there was no house keeping service. Nobody cleaned our room.

Third, we were told that the Time Share presentation would be an hour which seemed reasonable when we first agreed to stay at this property in exchange for considering ownership. Then, a few days prior, I received an email from a concierge stating that it would be 90 minutes. In the end, we couldn't leave before three or four people spoke with us, with a total of two hours taken. As a HH member and businessman, I appreciate honesty and people to be held accountable to their word. At about an hour, I informed the fellow doing the presentation that we had been told the presentation would be between an hour and an hour and a half and that I had an important business call to make at the 2 hour mark, and he just kept talking and we were nowhere near even leaving the initial presentation area to see the rooms.

Overall, this location is not ideal. I suppose if you have small children interested in Legoland, it might be more appealing. There is no ocean view and the buildings are remote from one another. I think there is a free shuttle to take you around the property. We generally got the feel that one is in a condo complex without connection to anything. When I approached the front desk on the last day to inquire if we could extend our stay by one night (as I was dreading moving all the luggage back up the stairs), she could not provide a rate for us, but gave us a phone number to call which had multiple sales pitch recordings, that I finally just hung up. Also, there was no washer/dryer in our unit which the time share rep told us there should have been.

Our next stop was the Coronado Island Marriott Resort which was a 100% different feel. We didn't even have a suite and it was everything that a resort should be. Beautiful views of the water, plenty of helpful and friendly staff, no access problems to our room... In general, if MarBrisa was meant to convince us to go with a time share, it achieved the opposite effect.

3  Thank travelfourless
GPR S, Manager at MarBrisa Carlsbad Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2017

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your honest feedback. We would like the opportunity to address your concerns. Please reach out to us directly at (760) 828-4520 when you have a chance. Thank you, and we look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 27 July 2017

The MarBrisa Resort is a very nice hotel. Staff was friendly and helpful, with great suggestions on things to do in the Carlsbad/San Diego area. My room was a 1 bedroom, 3rd floor overlooking the pools. The Cove which is the poolside restaurant was a nice place for a salad or sandwich. Because this resort is right next to Legoland, the pool is noisy and the hot tub, which was supposed to be the "quiet zone" was usually occupied by kids. One downside is that all trips from the hotel seem to require driving on Highway 5, a well traveled road with frequent traffic jams. Overall, I enjoyed my stay at the hotel and would definitely recommend it.

Room Tip: a high floor room overlooking the pool gives you the best view, though the pool is noisy
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo
GPR S, Manager at MarBrisa Carlsbad Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2017

Thank you, Ellen - we appreciate the 5-star rating!

Reviewed 26 July 2017

excellent place to visit. the room that my family stayed was clean, the kitchen has all the utilities that we need for cooking, the staff was all attentive and efficient to our request, the pool was clean and very inviting.

1  Thank Eddalee T

Thanks, Eddalee, for the 5-star rating!

Reviewed 25 July 2017

We look forward to our week at Mar Brisa each year! The property is well maintained and the staff are friendly and helpful. They have a wide variety of activities available on site, and plenty of things to do within an hour of the resort.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Grand Vacations
GPR S, Manager at MarBrisa Carlsbad Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2017

Thank you! It's always wonderful to see such great reviews from our owners and hear that they are getting so much benefit out of it.

Reviewed 23 July 2017

Over all this was a sweet trip and the MarBrisa resort was fine, once I put it all in perspective. However, there were some bitter moments. We were put in building 54 and I felt like I was banished to the far end of the kingdom, away from royalty.

On the second day, I asked if I could be moved to the Cove (newer section) and was told they do not move guest once checked in. However, we had 24-hour access to the Sheraton pool, which is nice and close to our unit and their staff was very accommodating. Sheraton made me feel like I was royalty-again! Note there was a pool for our building, but the jacuzzi was warm when I needed it to be hot. My room was near the housekeeping station, and upon check-in, there was trash containers, bins of towels- that were left. I did call and they did send someone out to move the items, even though it was after hours when I checked in. The rooms were clean but in need of a renovation.

Hilton is building new units and I am sure they will be amazing, I just did not get to see them. Perhaps they will use some development money for renovation.

Carlsbad is fun, lots to do for families or just adults. There are great bars, foods establishments to discover. You can even take a shuttle to Temecula, which I would recommend if you do not have kids with you.

I am happy to ride the MarBrisa wave. Soon it will be what I am accustomed to with HGVC. In the meantime, enjoy the cool playground of Carlsbad and the surrounding cities with Marbrise as your base.

1  Thank ERiley007

Thank you for sharing your feedback about your stay with us - we value insights from our guests and use them to consistently improve. Sounds like you had a great time in Carlsbad and enjoyed the location. Appreciate your review.

Reviewed 22 July 2017

Excellent experience - we loved the location near the ocean - great features on the grounds - lots of pools, spas, etc - tons of kids so if you are looking for quiet this is not it - but great for families

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Grand Vacations
GPR S, Manager at MarBrisa Carlsbad Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2017

We appreciate the great review and are happy to hear you enjoyed your time with us here in Carlsbad. Thank you!