“Great Hotel”

Park Hyatt Aviara Resort
Ranked #4 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 3 April 2012

I stayed here for a couple nights over the spring break holiday with my wife and two toddlers. I had stayed here over New Years and had some minor criticisms of the service but thought that it was a great hotel. On this occasion, I was pleasantly surprised. They seem to have improved the service that last notch to make it a 5-star establishment.

The hotel is very kid-friendly with a nice pool and water park. There is a game room and day camp available but we did not use it as it was geared to slightly older kids. The daily breakfast buffet is great for families who's' kids are impatient eaters. It is close to Legoland and a 30-45 min drive from most of San Diego's attractions.

My only complaint is that the rooms do not have HD television service!

We will stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank GIMD

Reviewed 2 April 2012

Great staycation for me and my daughter - about 40 min south of our house and worth every penny. Upon arrival, my friend called the hotel and told them we had two tired toddlers coming inbound from Lego Land and they had cribs and diaper genies set up immediately! In the lobby they had a cute red wagon filled with toys to choose from and the parking attedant was nice enough to suggest we take the hotel shuttle down to the playground after their nap which was a great idea. The rooms were spacious, comfortable and filled with everything I needed. Even baby products like diaper creme, bubble bath and wash. There was a great deep tub for bubble baths and great black-out blinds to let me and my daughter sleep in a little. If the weather was a little warmer I would have taken advantage of the pool, kiddie pool and water play area. Great job Hyatt!!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Bananz
Reviewed 29 March 2012

Spent 2 days at a conference at the Park Hyatt Aviara March 2012. The property was very beautiful, staff extremely helpful, and the room comfortable.

Food quality at restaurants was very good, but didn't reach to the level of great.

Golf course pretty and well maintained, but not particularly challenging.

Biggest downside is the price tag, but that's to be expected considering amenities.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank alpinecow
Reviewed 29 March 2012

My wife and 20 month old daughter stayed here last weekend, and it was a very nice time. I tried the suite upgrade for $75 feature on the site and it was well worth it. The bed was very comfy and the room was clean. One weird thing was that the furniture in the main room was a bit old, shabby and beat up. The staff was thoroughly professional and helpful.

The division of swimming pools is a great idea at this resort; there is an upper level for families and their high spirited children and a lower area ("tranquility pools") for those 16 and older who want to just chill out.

Breakfast on Sunday was great: the pecan rolls were delish and they make their own vanilla yogurt on site, which is a nice touch. Eggs benedict Florentine were lovely.

The place is way too expensive for what you get, but living in Cali carries its price, I guess.

Room Tip: Suites are large and nice.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank coolbreezewingtips
Reviewed 26 March 2012

I had the opportunity to spend last week at the Park Hyatt Aviara. It was a good choice, really stunning design inside and out. The service was great, everyone cheerful and well trained. My 2 room suite was large and attractive and housekeeping did a fine job. Restaurants on property were good and all food was well prepared. The quiet pool had a panoramic view of the lagoon hills and a touch of ocean. I enjoyed the lagoon, it was easy to get down to for a 3k walk or run in nature everyday. The fitness area was bright, clean, and equipped with cybex machines and cardio equipment. I did a nice facial and massage at the spa. The relaxation room was just lovely.
I liked this hotel and plan to return when I'm in the area.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank emmi58
Reviewed 6 March 2012

We stayed at this hotel with our child in late February. I'm a Hyatt Diamond member so I was able to upgrade to a suite, which was beautiful. The suite had a separate living room, two large balconies, and one and a half baths.

From reading some of the reviews of this property, formerly managed by Four Seasons, you'd think it was in shambles. There seem to be a lot of "it isn't a Four Seasons" anymore type reviews. I find these inane. It's not a Four Seasons and doesn't market itself as such. It's a Park Hyatt! I understand the temptation to make implicit comparisons between the former and current management companies, but I just don't see the purpose, and I say that as a frequent guest of Four Seasons properties around the country. People need to get over it. This is a five-star hotel, and while it wasn't perfect, it's still nicer than the vast majority of properties out there. So, I'll rate the hotel on its own merits.

As stated, the suite was lovely and great for our family needs since my wife and I could lounge in the living room after our child went to bed. The main pool area is nice, with some amenities for kids including a kiddie pool and a water feature area. The "tranquility pool" which is reserved for adults, is beautiful and overlooks the bluff and landscape leading down to Batiquitos Lagoon and the Pacific in the distance. Music plays underwater in this pool, which is a relaxing feature.

Here's a summary of some of the other salient features of this property, in my opinion.

PROS:
- overall, very good service. Not great, but very good. We had two instances of lapses that were quickly corrected (an incorrect drink order, and a room service order that was incorrectly delivered to our room).
- lovely location on top of a bluff in Carlsbad
- the breakfast spread in California Bistro was first rate
- pool area, both for kids and adults
- valet parking staff was terrific
- nice locker room/spa/sauna facilities adjacent to fitness center
- lovely, sprawling property
- location was relaxed (35 min north of San Diego) but allowed access to Disneyland, SD Zoo, Sea World, etc. within 30-90 minute drives

CONS
- a few minor service lapses, as noted
- food in the lobby lounge was above average, but not great, given the prices (~$100 for tapas, 2 drinks and a kids meal)

Overall we enjoyed our stay and would stay at the Park Hyatt Aviara again.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank Goldie_Mack
Reviewed 2 March 2012

This hotel represents impeccable service and class. The entire staff was so impressive. The grounds and the interior are maintained to the level you would expect in a five star facility. Service and the food in the restaurants was also impressive. Put it on your must stay list.

• Stayed: March 2012