“I've stayed at better Hyatt Places”

Park Hyatt Aviara Resort
Ranked #4 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 7 May 2012

Arrived late, excellent front desk, very friendly. Woke up on Saturday to go eat breakfast, got locked in my room, umm 5th floor....imagine if there had been an emergency, I would be stuck! It took about 1.5 hours to get out of the room, started to feel freaked out. While stuck in my room, and waiting on the guy outside to fix the door, I had time to take photos of the dust accumulating all over the room. See related photos. Eventually got out and down to the breakfast buffet, which was complimentary (Diamond members), and found a giant hair in my eggs benedict (also took a photo of this nastiness). The property overall is dated, carpet is worn, etc.

Staff, and Mark the GM handled the situations we had, so it is done in my book. I know these things happen, but why all to me and why in the same trip! Anyhoo, in my opinion, it's not worth the money, stay at the Hyatt Place up the road.

Best part of the hotel, tennis courts and spa. Unfortunatley - the spa area is supposed to be only for Diamonds or people who use the spa services. We get lockers with keys. You can tell that they just let anyone in, b/c their belongings are scattered about everywhere, i.e. they don't have a locker. What a shame they let this happen, it is such a nice spa.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lorenita2005
There are newer reviews for Park Hyatt Aviara Resort

Reviewed 20 April 2012

We enjoy this hotel for a quick local getaway. Rooms are nice, clean and well maintained. The restaurant serves good food in the lobby. The food in the Bistro Cafe was also good. This place has REAL Chefs working there and you can expect REAL meals.
The tea service was not that great they are stingy on the tea.. Surprisingly that is the least expensive part of the tea service. You are allowed only a small tea pot.

Room Tip: High level good view rooms...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 April 2012

The Park Hyatt Aviara continues to give top notch service in a beautiful setting. It still looks like a Four Seasons.
We had 2 kids - aged 8 and 9 - with us and they loved the pool area. Husband and boys played golf and were very pleased with the driving range and clubhouse for lunch.
When we checked in the kids were allowed to choose a toy from the Toy Wagon - mine went for squirt guns for the pool. That evening they brought the kids each a bag of cookies for turn down service - all very nice touches. We ate twice in the lobby bar - on Saturday night they had a jazz trio - the food is tapas style and it was very tasty.
Only had room service one morning, but it was good as well. My only issue is that there is a dearth of easy to eat food - in other words, unless you are pool side, it is all sit down full service, so hard to grab a quick lunch, etc. My kids were a bit tired of " eating out" after 4 days - meaning sit down and wait twenty minutes for their food. Would suggest at least one very casual restaurant is needed.
Kids were happy in the game room. Pool was relaxing. Room was large, nice patio, huge bathroom. Would suggest a coffee maker in room and complimentary internet.

Room Tip: We enjoyed a ground floor room, as the patio was large.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 April 2012

Hotel was great. Rooms were nice, had view of courtyard, very nice. Balconies very spacious. Lost power for 8 hours on one day and about and hour on another day. Location was good, about 2 miles from the beach. Very nice pool areas. Lobby bar was very nice.
Overall would recommend the hotel. We had kids and they really enjoyed it as well. The arcade for kids was great, 5 xboxes, pool, foosball, shuffleboard, all at no extra cost.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank jimstooth
Reviewed 5 April 2012

My husband and I stayed at the hotel for a week in late March. Our goal was to get away from the rain and cold and just relax. Our initial impression was great and then the disappointments started building. The first problem was with the separate toilet room in the bathroom. It reeked of urine. I had to ask them to send a cleaning crew to scrub it down, which should have been done after the last guest! The room was otherwise comfortable and well equipped. I do miss the old style drip coffee pots where you could get some hot water and make tea. Coffee was the only hot drink option in the room. What about us tea drinkers? Later in the week, I went to the business center because I had to print something, and I was told the business center had no internet. It is supposed to have it, it just didn't have it when a guest needed it. So here comes the really bad thing that happened--we lost power for day. The ENTIRE hotel property lost power for a day. In an era of all products being powered, including my phone, laptop and books (kindle) this is a major inconvenience. No elevators, no lights (the bathroom got quite dark), no electricity at all (so much for having wet hair and no way to blow it dry.) We were told that the restaurants were serving food so at least we were able to eat. Power was restored around 4:30 pm that afternoon. The next day...lost power again! This time it was for about an hour. When we called the front desk, we were told it was "unexpected". I expect the "unexpected" when I stay at the Park Hyatt in Saigon, Vietnam, NOT in Carlsbad, USA. Did anyone offer a credit for this major inconvenience? NO! They wanted their money as if nothing was wrong. The hotel management needs to get a clue that guests expect electricity, and if you can't supply it, give them their money back.

We had a wonderful meal of tapas in the lobby lounge our first night. This was our only wonderful meal. Don't bother with the Argyle Steakhouse. They burned my steak to the point I had to cut off the exterior of it.. The side dishes were flavorless and service unimpressive. At the hotel, the poolside service was spotty and we had to seek out the servers. The poolside menu was unimpressive and not very "poolside-ish". They need to rethink that menu.
Ugh. What a disappointment.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view of the ocean and that has lots of sunshine.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank klee25
Reviewed 3 April 2012

I stayed here for a couple nights over the spring break holiday with my wife and two toddlers. I had stayed here over New Years and had some minor criticisms of the service but thought that it was a great hotel. On this occasion, I was pleasantly surprised. They seem to have improved the service that last notch to make it a 5-star establishment.

The hotel is very kid-friendly with a nice pool and water park. There is a game room and day camp available but we did not use it as it was geared to slightly older kids. The daily breakfast buffet is great for families who's' kids are impatient eaters. It is close to Legoland and a 30-45 min drive from most of San Diego's attractions.

My only complaint is that the rooms do not have HD television service!

We will stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank GIMD
Reviewed 2 April 2012

Great staycation for me and my daughter - about 40 min south of our house and worth every penny. Upon arrival, my friend called the hotel and told them we had two tired toddlers coming inbound from Lego Land and they had cribs and diaper genies set up immediately! In the lobby they had a cute red wagon filled with toys to choose from and the parking attedant was nice enough to suggest we take the hotel shuttle down to the playground after their nap which was a great idea. The rooms were spacious, comfortable and filled with everything I needed. Even baby products like diaper creme, bubble bath and wash. There was a great deep tub for bubble baths and great black-out blinds to let me and my daughter sleep in a little. If the weather was a little warmer I would have taken advantage of the pool, kiddie pool and water play area. Great job Hyatt!!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family