All reviews benihana restaurant front desk nice hotel free breakfast carlsbad beach pool and hot tub walking distance to the beach free weights microwave and fridge breakfast area nice breakfast bath towels beds were comfortable business traveler enjoyable stay great room great pool
Reviewed October 3, 2018

The hotel has a little outdated rooms, but besides that, they have the new image on the lobby and breakfast area. Hotel was clean, breakfast was good, staff was good, and location is good. Within a walking distance to the beach, which has an amazing scenery early in the morning. Great for a quick morning run!!

• Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed October 1, 2018

I work for a major international luxury hotel company and I was blown away how clean & appealing the building was. On top of that, the front desk staff were super-friendly and I was in my room in less than 5 mins of arrival. Also had a very good comp breakfast with attendants ensuring everything was fresh and stocked at all times.

Reviewed September 17, 2018 via mobile

We stayed here for 1 night. We actually wanted to book 2 but I am glad we were told we wouldn't get the same room so we decided to stay our 1st night in Carlsbad else where. This hotel is not worth the money,it has dirty carpet we found a part of a syringe on the floor, the bathroom has mold.it felt muggy in the hotel(the other hotel we stayed at about 5 minutes away didnt not feel that way). It says partial ocean view. We got into our room early and no ocean to be seen when we woke up no ocean either. I saw peoples homes. Breakfast is okay seating area is small but that seems to be everywhere.

Trip type: Travelled with family
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Carlsbad Beach, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2018

Hi traviesacj,

Thanks for choosing Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Carlsbad Beach for your lodging needs and for leaving us feedback.

I'm very sorry that you were disappointed with the overall condition of our property. The circumstances you have mentioned are not what I want you to experience with any of our hotels. We strive to provide the best service and accommodations for our guests but regret that was not your experience. This is not how we normally do things around so be assured that your comments are well noted and are shared with our management team for enhancements.

We'd like to follow up on your concerns but before we do, I need some additional information. I've sent you a private message.

Your feedback will definitely help us towards bettering our services. We hope to host you again soon.

All the best,

Peter J.

Reviewed September 1, 2018

Within 60 minutes of check-in while in the bathroom a man entered the room. He was assigned the same room by the manager by mistake. Later when I tried to enter my room I found my card access key was deprogrammed and I was locked out. The desk clerk provided a new key, but after three hours it was deactivated again. Who knows what could have happened if I was not in the room. Clearly a safety issue. Additionally, the breakfast staff can't seem to keep the scrambled eggs, sausage, and bacon filled at the same time. Too many guests, too short breakfast hours. Only one pancake machine for a hotel that has many children guests.

Date of stay: August 2018
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Carlsbad Beach, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2018

Hi robertdavis183,

Thank you for staying and writing us a review. It is regrettable that you did not experience an exemplary hotel stay with us due to the issues with your room key, the food selection and breakfast service. We are very sorry for the inconvenience this has caused.

These have been shared with our management team and breakfast staff, and we will continue to monitor our hotel's performance in order to achieve guest satisfaction. I have also sent you a private message in an effort to obtain additional details about your experience. We hope to hear from you soon and be of further assistance.

Best,

Tracy V.

Reviewed September 1, 2018 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel on reward nights. It was just average.

Pro’s: close to LEGOLAND, BENIHANAS right next door. Pleasant staff.

Con’s: On the surface it is clean but started to notice that the surfaces in the room were dusty, especially around the phone and lamp areas, there was mold in the tub and around handles. We also had four in the room and both days we had to go down and ask for more towels. There were never more than three in the room and were mysteriously folded to look like there were more towels than actually what was there. Pancake machine was broken in first day. Also, the bathroom door was off kilter, so you had to force it shut to close.

Nothing awful but too many issues for me to want to stay at this hotel again. Would look elsewhere.

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Carlsbad Beach, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2018

It's a lovely day, isn't it?

We're glad to have hosted your stay and for the review, drumclub. True Hospitality - that's what we want to provide. That said, I'm delighted you found our location convenient and that you found our staff hospitable. On the flip side, I'm sorry our cleanliness and upkeep fell short of expectations. The conditions you described are certainly not our usual standard. I've shared your feedback with the management to help address areas that need additional attention.

Thanks for sharing your experience, and for being an IHG Rewards Club member. I hope you find your way back soon for a chance to make your next stay better than the last.

Kind regards,