2,072 results
All reviews flower fields karl strauss family pool adult pool activity room ocean view time share full kitchen activity center across the street lego land bedroom villa underground parking the shuttle driver splash pad air hockey san diego
Reviewed January 6, 2008

For me, its the details that separate the good hotels from the bad ones. The details identify exactly how much attention is paid to the rooms by the staff. Within our first 10 minutes of being in the room, this is what we encountered:

* Clock radio mysteriously unplugged and unprogrammed
* One of the two telephones in the room plugged in, but simply was broken and did not work.
* Faucet in bathtub leaking a steady stream of water
* Toilet unable to flush contents down, despite 4 flushes, and no other apparent clogging.
* WiFi in the room touted as "free WiFi resort-wide" barely had 1 bar and "limited or no connectivity"
* We wanted coffee using the coffee maker, but there were no filters in the room.
* We ordered room service and they were closed at 9:30pm. on a Saturday night. Ridiculous.
* We ordered room service and the delivery guy didn't have a pen. And there wasn't a single pen or any office supplies in the room, at all, despite a desk.
* All the lightbulbs in all the lamps were like intense spotlights. Some lamps have two bulbs and one is a standard round bulb while the other is a flourescent "squiggly" shaped bulb. Its obvious the maintenance guys just threw in any random available bulb when one went out.

Aside from all of that, which really wasn't too horribly inconveniencing - just an indicator that nobody really cares about the details at this hotel, at all - the room itself was attractive, contemporary, and nice. The bed was very comfortable, with new down comforters and a nice mattress. I have a hard time sleeping, so it was nice that the air system had a "FAN" option so you could leave it on, and it was fairly loud so it gives very comforting white noise that drowns out any hallway conversations or parking lot noises. Bathroom was nice, and one of the only hotels I've seen provide actual mouthwash in my life. Shocking.

On average, since I notice literally everything, this hotel is "Okay". You know when you are in a high class hotel because they surprise you with attention to detail. They do extra. The rooms have a pen, and sometimes a pencil. There are no leaks. The light bulbs aren't like two unmatched socks on a little kid. Room service is open to reasonable hours.

If you're not a stickler for details, the room itself is very comfortable, contemporary, and you should sleep well. Its always smart to ask for a quiet room, no matter where you stay :)

Date of stay: January 2008
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank HotelGuru9
Reviewed January 4, 2008

Our family of four (2 adults, 2 kids ages 9 and 11) stayed in room 187, Villa D the week of New Years. Our one bedroom timeshare was handicapped accessible and located on the bottom floor right next to the fitness room. Surprisingly, noise from the fitness room was never an issue. The room, however, is directly in front of the main gate into the children's pool and this was an issue in the mornings for us. Late risers probably should not stay on the bottom floor here. Children's voices echo quite loudly before 8 in the hallway. Thank goodness that the pool closes at 9 pm or I imagine that could be an issue.

Overall, we had a good time here. The pool was a hit, even in the middle of winter. It is heated to 80 degrees which was fine for our oldest but our youngest preferred the hot tub. The hot tub in the children's pool was always full of children. I never had a chance to check out the adult pool but this one is not the place for an adult looking to relax. I can imagine that this place would be packed in the summer as it is a great pool! I wish that the balconies opened to the pool but unfortunately the rooms face the other way.

The hotel is very close to Lego Land. We walked the first day and drove the second. It is about a 10 minute walk but very easy to do. There are also tons of grocery stores, drive thru’s and restaurants in the area. There are gas barbeques on site so we made dinner that way two nights. We ate at Karl Straus one night. The food was good but not worth the $110 our bill came to.

We did see ants in the room as mentioned in several previous reviews. They were not many but they were here. The sheets and towels here are what seem to be the standard in this type of timeshare. Not all at nice or comfy. We drove and I have had enough experience with this to know to bring our own. We also bring aero beds for the kids as the couch bed is never good. Although, my oldest said this one wasn’t too bad.

Besides the pool, the kids enjoyed the basketball court. We bought our own ball since there is only one to borrow from the activity center and you need to leave a drivers license for it. That reminds me that it is also the only timeshare that I have seen that makes you pay for ping pong balls. There is a machine that accepts quarters. There is ping pong, foosball, and air hockey in the activity room. I found it odd, as well, that a place this close to the beach did not have sand toys to rent. There are boogie boards but no shovels and pails.

One very annoying thing about this week is that there are no washer/dryers in the room. There is a laundry on the third floor. However, the dryers did not work at all! We had to hang the clothes up in our room to dry. So, my advice would be to over-pack for a stay here and avoid the chance that you might need to do laundry.

To sum it up, if you are used to family style timeshares and the way they work then you will find this place quite satisfactory. If you are looking for an upscale resort, this is not the place for you.

Date of stay: January 2008
Reviewed November 5, 2007

Before arriving here I read some of the previous reviews and hoped for the best. What I got was just..... OK at best.

The facts: I stayed in a 2 bedroom/2 bath with 5 adults, a 12 y/o and a 1 y/o. (yes, its was cozy). We stayed 10/28 - 11/4. I booked it through a timeshare exchange.

First, a few of the good things: The location is pretty convenient. It's a short drive to the outlet mall, Carlsbad beaches, and downtown Carlsbad. Legoland is literally next door if you plan on going there. It took us only about 25 minutes to get to the San Diego Wild Animal Park and SeaWorld. The adult and childrens pools at the resort were well kept and nice, as well as the landscape surrounding the resort. The Karl Strauss restaurant next to the resort is excellent and has very good food and even better beer for those of you who partake.

That's about where the good things end.

The first thing upon check-in, they try and lure you to a timeshare presentation to get "upgraded" to an ocean-view condo. When I booked it, there was nothing saying I wouldn't get an ocean view. Anyways, I reluctantly agreed to attend and we got the ocean view condo.
Upon arriving in the room, I admit I was fairly disappointed. The "ocean view" is blocked by interstate I-5, the TGI Friday's windmill, an outlet mall, etc... you can barely actually see the ocean. Second, we immediately found a bunch of things broken/wrong with the room. Two of the doors to the bathroom and bedroom were so warped they wouldn't latch shut. The fireplace they bragged about didn't even work. You could hear the people in the condo above us walk around. The second bedroom has a *VCR* player instead of a DVD player. Overall the condo had a "well-used"/"dirty" feel to it. The game room is a joke, I think the newest video game they had was from around 1989. The "activity room" is gloomy and all the game tables looked very old and worn. And, like one other person had complained about, the next day we had ants all over the kitchen yet we hadn't even had any food in the condo yet. Basically a bunch of annoying things that added up to a lot.

After returning from the trip, based upon the "cash value" of our stay there, I looked at what else was available in the Carlsbad area. That was the clincher - there are many nicer places to stay at for the price you are paying to stay here. It is way over-priced. If it was cheaper, I'd say go for it if you can put up with the above issues. But for the price, just research a bit and you will find something nicer. I like the Carlsbad area and plan on returning again, but it won't be at this resort.

Date of stay: November 2007
2  Thank KarlChicago_IL
Reviewed October 31, 2007

This was a great hotel!!! The kids loved it, I wish we could have stayed longer because it felt like the type of hotel you could spend days in. The rooms were very nice and spacious (we were on the hotel side). Costco is across the street as is Legoland. Yes there is only one restuarant, but who cares? The food was good there. There are plenty of other Restuarants/Fast food places to eat, just get in your car and drive. We asked for a mini fridge when we arrived, it was delivered right away. We asked for towels, pillows, blankets and we got all of that right away. No complaints here. We are going back soon.

Date of stay: October 2007
1  Thank nisiordia
Reviewed October 22, 2007

As some others have noted, this establishment should not contain the word "Resort" in its name. It's not one. We stayed in a two bedroom, two bath condo from 10/7 - 10/11. The amount of space is nice, but that is about it. The decor is out of date and there is an overall cheap feeling to the place. In addition, our kitchen had ants. We informed the front desk, left for eight hours and upon our return nothing had been done about it. Look around a bit and you can do much better.

Date of stay: October 2007
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank beldez