New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Refuge
Ranked #1 of 12 Spas & Wellness in Carmel
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Owner description: Refuge is the first American facility dedicated to Hydro-thermal therapy and offers the ultimate in relaxation that is one of a kind! Truly the best 3 hours in Carmel! Through heating up in our Co-ed Sauna and Steam bath, cooling down in our cold pools and relaxation in indoor relaxation rooms or outdoor areas with fireplaces - you will be relaxed! Massages are available as well!
Santa Cruz, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Total Relaxation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

A slice of Heaven. This is my new favorite place. I spent 3 hours here with my girlfriends and it was absolute bliss. The facility is top-notch - clean and professional. HOT saunas and COLD pools. Many places just to sit and relax and rejuvenate. Good for friends, couples or even solo.

2 Thank Amy H

Yorba Linda, California
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“luxurious solitude”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2012

Anniversary visit to Carmel started the afternoon of our arrival witha visit to the Refuge.
I had read a multitude of reviews for the place but didnt realize how recent they all were.
The place is almost brand new and appeared so. Attendents were, well....attendent. Everyone cared about our visit. We felt that.

with a number of heat rooms including steam and dry, and with an outside area studded with many different hot, cool, and cold tubes, and I think six large fire rings I was impressed by my choices.

We came on a Thursday night and the place was very quiet and nearly empty. It couldnt have been more private for us.

We finished with massages which were delivered by well trained "therapists".

We were happy. The perfect way to begin our Carmel experience.

2 Thank david r
Monterey
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Perfect Date Night”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2012

My husband and I recently went to Refuge on a child-free date night. It was just what we needed, a quiet evening of relaxing and spending some time together. It was a cool evening and the place was basically empty, but that didn't matter to us. We really enjoyed the hydro-therm experience, and even got brave enough to try the COLD pool. We came away feeling totally relaxed. I definitely recommend it to locals and people visiting from out of town.

2 Thank KMN_12
Monterey, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Relaxation Oasis!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2012

I recently visited refuge with my daughter, I had a massaged booked. The Refuge staff were incredibly helpful, they tell you everything you need to know about using this facility to get a great experience.
We decided to take refuge prior to the massage. The peacefullness in this facility was enchanting. I can barely begin to explain the serinity that came to me after such an intense work week.

My first cycle of Heat up, Cool Down and finally Relax, started with The Eucalyptus Steam Bath, midway through my "heat up" I began to fear the cold plunge, I was so skeptical about plunging my body into an "icy river". My daughter just went for it, so naturally I decided to follow the REFUGE protocol. That first plunge in the cold water made me want to go running for the hot tub! But, that would lessen my "refuge effect" so I decided to actually relax. We went into one of the relaxation rooms, perfect relaxing music, zero-gravity recliners and a beautiful view of the santa lucia preserve.
After four cycles of the Refuge, the tingling feeling in my body turned to pure relaxation with a blank stare on my face that didnt go away for hours.

After taking refuge I went to have my massage, My therapist Robert was well educated and quite skilled, I decided to go with a deep tissue massage. Im glad I took refuge prior, because my muscles were already so relaxed, Robert was able to knock out tensions I had been fighting for years. I reccomend using Refuge prior to your massage to have the Perfect experience! $39 for entry and $99 for massage + entry. What a steal!

5 Thank cthonson
Carmel Valley, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Pleasant experience”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2012

It would be a fun thing to do with friends, but watch out for the robe racket....If you want to wear a robe, you have to rent theirs for $12, in addition to the entry fee.

Visited January 2012