All reviews bagels king bed free breakfast in the morning off street parking gas fireplace sitting area small kitchenette restaurants and shops great room walking distance to town coffee maker living room hard boiled eggs few blocks mini fridge downtown carmel the main street
Reviewed April 6, 2016 via mobile

As far as bed and breakfasts are concerned I would give this 2 stars because our room was tiny! There was such limited space and the bathroom was so small, I couldn't shave my legs in the shower. Out neighbors really liked their room and said it was roomy and breezy. It was very hot and stuffy in room #45. This was a very convenient location because I was solo while the hubby went to work in Cupertino. I walked to an amazing Yoga class at the center down the street. Breakfast was average and didn't offer any protein. My room was located too close to the street. I heard cars from a very early hour.

Stayed: April 2016
Reviewed April 3, 2016

BUYER BEWARE!! I've been a returning customer of the hotel for the last seven years. BUT the treatment I've received the last couple of times I've stayed has prompted this to be my last. There is NO consideration for loyalty at all, much less honesty. I paid top price, (almost $900.00) for two nights!! (Outrageous) for my stay while my friends (booked three rooms) that stayed paid the lower end of the seasonal rate. When I asked why mine was more, the gentleman (I believe it was the owner Dan) at the front desk said, "well it's the weekend" NO where on their room information does it say, you will pay more for the weekend. Nor did my family members in other rooms. It says, pay more for holidays and special occasions. "Dan" tried really hard to come up with a legitimate reason for the excessive rate, but fell short. This place must really be suffering to treat loyalty like this. Sounds like they will take advantage at every chance they get. I'm quite sure one can find a much more hospitable hotel that will value a returning patron year after year. Back when Carol worked there, the place was absolutely a wonderful place to stay. NOT any more. Take your money elsewhere.

• Stayed: April 2016, travelled with family
2  Thank skg4458
BriarwoodCarmel, Manager at Briarwood Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2016

Dear Previous Guest,

We are very sorry about any miscommunication that recently occurred. The staff at the Inn cares very much about our guests and we work hard to make sure everyone has a wonderful time while staying with us!

To clarify things, the reservation made for your party was booked initially through our online reservation system for two adults and a pet, and then later changed via a front desk representative, to a larger family style unit, to accommodate an additional party member, during our sold out Spring Break weekend, the first weekend of April. An email confirmation was then sent to you when the reservation was revised. No further calls or concerns about the rate were discussed with us, until after you checked in.

The rate quoted included the pet fee per night and the extra person fee per night, for the larger family unit with a kitchen and spacious parking right next to it, which serves well to sometimes park two cars there. We did not charge more than our regular weekend rate, as shown on our room rate info page. With these additional charges added, the bill for this stay was accurate.

The dates reserved for your most recent stay were listed as blackout dates to any existing promotional offer. If a guest reserves a room during blackout periods, we do not offer any discounted or promotional rates, even for repeat guests, due to high demand. We also do not waive pet fees, although some guests feel they shouldn’t be charged this.

Charles, not Dan, discussed our normal rates with you prior to checking out and explained that no other party members received a discounted rate during our sold out Spring Break weekend ending April 3, 2016, which makes us confused why you feel other party members were charged less than our normal rates.

The Briarwood Inn has always had a weekday Sun-Thurs, weekend Fri-Sat rate difference, per our website. This has always been the case. Very few blackout dates for things such as the Concourse, Thanksgiving and Christmas time, etc. may not be discounted during some of these weekdays but most weekdays throughout the year, our lower rate applies to guests who stay Sunday-Thursday. If your other party members in other rooms reserved Sun-Thursday, they would have been charged the Sun-Thurs rate. If they stayed on Fri or Sat, the weekend rate would have applied.

We greatly appreciate the times you’ve stayed with us and hope this clarifies things. We would always welcome you back in the future!

Briarwood Inn

Reviewed February 13, 2016

We had a living social voucher so the price was excellent for Carmel. The location was very near downtown and we enjoyed walking around, dining, and drinks. The inn was a bit dated however our room was spacious and clean. The bathroom a bit small but it served the purpose. George was especially accommodating and friendly. The continental breakfast was OK, perhaps too much carbs. a bit of protein and instant oatmeal would be welcome. overall we would definitely stay again!

Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed January 25, 2016

Rating: ½ Star
We stayed in this B&B for one night and although the room and location were more than acceptable, the actions and responses of the management have left a sour taste that will prevent any return. We should have had the first clue when we were in their reception and witnessed a very upset customer and his wife haranguing the front desk employee. At the time, we wrote it off as “those things happen” or you can’t please everyone. Little did we know that they would also happen to us. After paying our bill and returning home we noticed on our credit card statement that we had been charged an additional $362 by them. Our first call to correct the situation was met with nothing but hostility and denial. A subsequent call followed by an email of the credit card statement reflecting the charge led to an explanation that there was no additional charges made by Briarwood but MAYBE it was just reflecting the authorization verification at the time of booking. I asked why would any inn or hotel run a charge for $362 dollars prior to our arrival. A third call claimed it was no charge and said if there was it was a bank error. I said that was impossible because the charges are triggered by you using your account. The Briarwood agent sarcastically replied “you don’t think a bank ever makes errors”. I said that not in this type of transaction. The representative told me to wait til Friday and the charges should disappear.
Later that night, apparently aware that the story would not hold up, I received an email from Briarwood saying that upon further research, they discovered that they had in fact charged the card but would contact the bank immediately to reverse the charges.
All of this “drama” and misdirection agitated me to the extent that I demanded some sort of compensation for the trouble and actually, the impact on the availability of the funds in the card for a week. The best the Briarwood people would offer was “a bottle of wine with our next stay there”. Obviously far too little too late.
In concluding, although Briarwood is acceptable as a lodging, its policies, suspicious business practices and lame responses has definitely removed it from any further consideration and I can only say “BEWARE”.

• Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple
12  Thank Steve B
BriarwoodCarmel, Front Office Manager at Briarwood Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2016

We are glad to know you enjoyed your stay at the Briarwood Inn and that the room and accommodations were more than pleasant! We do apologize for the amount of time it took for us to find the error, however this is a very rare occurrence and the person working the desk that day was not aware of the procedure to locate the issue, as it is an accounting issue and he is not trained to handle these procedures. So as soon as someone with this knowledge was involved, only a few hours later, the incorrect charge was refunded immediately. Again, we apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you and do wish for you to have a wonderful time in Carmel, next time you visit.

Reviewed December 15, 2015

The Briarwood Inn is centrally located and convenient to good dining and shopping in Carmel. Our room was very well appointed and a pleasure to relax in after a busy day. The beds were comfortable and the seating area was perfect to recharge in after enjoying Carmel-By-The-Sea.

Room Tip: All the rooms seem to be well appointed, reasonably priced and very comfortable.
  • Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple