All reviews great location breakfast room sun deck within walking distance small pool room was clean and comfortable carmel by the sea two blocks would stay here again the main street free breakfast restaurants and shops ocean avenue mile drive hard boiled eggs yogurt san francisco
Reviewed October 5, 2017

When reading the reviews of this hotel, I came across a very rude reply from the owner to a former guest who wrote a negative review and should've listened to my gut feeling about this hotel before I reserved my room-red flag number one. My first encounter upon check-in was that the host refused to take my frequent guest number-red flag number two. I drove back to my room, traipsed up the stairs (there is no elevator) with all my belongings, flung open the door to a stench that almost bowled me over, and fingered my way to a light switch in order to make my way around the cavelike room (mind you, it was about 2 pm)-red flag number three. During the week of my visit the whole bay area was having record high temps and this hotel does not have air conditioners however, I thought that I could keep cool enough with the self standing fan they had provided-red flag number four. Unfortunately, the room was like a sauna upon first entry and I was never able to cool it down even with open windows and the ocean breeze. Mind you I was by myself, sleeping in a room accessible to the street with the windows open and no security bars! To add to this, the door lock was frozen and, even after having the hostess come down to look at it, was not repaired during my time there. On my first night there the TV would not turn on so I called the office repeatedly to get help but, to no avail. They would not answer the phone and the voicemail box said it was full. They do offer a breakfast buffet although, it's in a room which has a large picture window in it that faces the morning sun that creates a fish bowl effect and doesn't have a shade to draw. Having prepaid for the room through my company was a terrible mistake that I'll never make again.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
3  Thank Mariesdottir
BWCarmelsTownhouse, Front Office Manager at Best Western Carmel's Town House Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2018

Dear Guest, Sorry to hear about your less than positive experience. Definitely not the type of experience we want to provide to our guest during their visit in Carmel. The feedback will allow us to implement improvements and offer a better experience for the guests in future. I hope you give us an opportunity to host you next time you visit Carmel. It can give us an opportunity to provide you with a superior experience.

Reviewed September 24, 2017

This is a tired property with none of Carmel's charm. The in room lighting is poor and the availability of charging ports ancient. The cleanliness of the room was passable at best. There just was little value associated with this property.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Punky101

Reviewed September 23, 2017 via mobile

Excellent friendly check in. We find friendly employees at just about every BW we have stayed at. This is not a "lodge" as stated in name, it's a motel (or at least the section we stayed in was). And with reading some of the other reviews, it seems your room is the luck of the draw or their expectations are to high. With that said we were assigned a room on the "third floor". We had to drive around the corner to access a separate parking lot and there was only 4 rooms here and was right above the parking lot. You have to carry your suitcase up a steep flight of stairs. But the positive is there are no rooms above or below you.

We reserved a king and thats what we got. Room is dark and on the older side but it was clean. There was a small heated pool. Breakfast was included with room rate. Ample parking (main reason I booked this plus the location). There is an in room mini fridge, very comfy bed and pillows (I find this a theme at all BW's too), decent sized flat screen tv but reception at times was poor, excellent wifi. Room did get stuffy and has no AC but I knew this before I booked the room (do your homework!) there was a fan in room but it still got quite stuffy. Bathroom exhaust fan was extremely annoying because it automatically went on when you put the light on and was loud. Sink/vanity was outside the bathroom. There is some street noise but this is to be expected since YOUR IN TOWN!!!
Excellent location. Restaurants and shops are all just minutes walk.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear Lisa,

Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to complete the Survey on Trip Advisor and sharing your experience at Best Western Carmel Town house. We are delighted to know that you had a wonderful stay with us!

Thank you for your 3-star rating! Our goal is to provide our guests with a great experience, every single stay. We are absolutely thrilled to have achieved that goal with your most recent experience as our guest. I am glad you found our rooms clean, friendly staff, and our breakfast filling. Thank you for allowing us to serve you!

Appreciate your business and recommendations. Look forward to your return visit

Reviewed September 22, 2017

clean and nice hotel in carmel location is good, rooms are typically for a motel style hotel, but still nice and spacious parking is for free and available staff very friendly breakfast is a joke though.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

First, we would like to thank you for your preference at Best Western Carmel's Townhouse Lodge

We greatly appreciate all of your kind words and we are thrilled to know that you had such an amazing time here at out lodge, it is always a great pleasure knowing that we exceeded your expectations and that we were able to create this unique and memorable experience.

It is an honor for us to read you enjoyed our facilities we offer, It is thanks to our excellent staff that we are able to accomplish our goal, the total satisfaction of our guests.

Thank you again for your value review and for visiting us and we hope to have the privilege to host you once again in a near future

Reviewed September 3, 2017

The only thing this experience taught me was to never stay at a Best Western again. I gave them a chance, and they failed miserably. The hotel was in terrible condition, rooms falling apart and no air-conditioning.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
BWCarmelsTownhouse, Manager at Best Western Carmel's Town House Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2017

Dear Guest, Sorry to hear about your less than positive experience. Definitely not the type of experience we want to provide to our guest during their visit in Carmel. Although not consistent with other guest experiences, it will allow us to implement improvements and offer a better experience for the guests in future. Factually stating, lodging places in Carmel does not have Air conditioning. I can understand how the Excessive heat weather alert generated in the area would have caused this experience. I hope you give us an opportunity to host you next time you visit Carmel. It can give us an opportunity to provide you with a superior experience.