5 people are viewing this hotel
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
PricelineUS$555
Expedia.comUS$555
Hotels.comUS$555
Agoda.comUS$555
eDreamsUS$555
Trip.comUS$573
All reviews outdoor shower fire pit santa lucia glass of wine rose garden croquet lawn resort fee heated floors carmel by the sea sauvignon blanc beautiful property great amenities complimentary snacks soaking tub food and wine onsite restaurant beautiful room
Selected filters
Reviewed February 14, 2021

Bernardus is less than 90 minutes from my home. Prior to the pandemic, I would not have considered going there. My inclination has been to visit exotic lands, far from California. But the pandemic made me realize that California is the exotic destination of people both from the USA and international destinations. With California travel restrictions in place, I looked closer to home for a respite from being sheltered in place. I am glad I found Bernardus.

A resort is as good as its staff. The valet, front desk staff, housekeeping, groundskeepers, and restaurant personnel were all friendly, helpful, and fully masked. Yes, unlike many hotels, Bernardus provides full housekeeping services, including turn down service with chocolates. You can’t be in the room, but the staff seemed to know when I wasn’t there and magically performed their services. What a treat after having to do my own bed making and turn down for the past almost-a-year!

I booked a room with a view of the Santa Lucia Mountains. It was on the second floor of a four plex, with a porch. Indeed, I was able to see the sun set over the mountains each evening. The units at Bernardus are four plex (two story) or duplex (single story). Large families can opt for villas, but for me and my husband, the premium room worked quite well.

The room was very quiet, and dark. The pillows were so wonderful that I wanted to take them home with me! (But I didn’t.) I enjoyed the large soaking tub as well as the waterfall shower. I was impressed that the room was stocked with snacks—beer, wine, iced tea, carbonated beverages, energy bars, fruit, and potato chips.

The staff recommended a hair cut at the spa on check-in. This is something that my husband obviously needed, but we opted for a more quiet stay without using the spa facilities or the pool.

Bocce, croquet, tennis, and golf putting are available, although I decided to relax on my porch and to walk around the grounds and gardens. The perimeter of the property is just shy of half a mile. The walkways take you past lots of plants including lemon trees, unusual succulents, artichokes, bee hives, roses, herbs, and many, many other plants that I couldn’t identify. The grounds are beautiful.

The onsite restaurant is exceptional, Lucia, but that deserves its own review. But know that the tables are well-spaced, and the staff is masked, so I felt safe eating there.

I enjoyed my stay so much that I immediately made reservations to return in the fall.

2  Thank DigitalRabbit
Sean Damery, General Manager at Bernardus Lodge & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2021

Dear DigitalRabbit,

Great title! Thank you so much for visiting Bernardus Lodge & Spa and for posting such a detailed review. You hit on many of our attributes and amenities. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and I am very proud of your commentary on our staff and hospitality.

This type of detailed feedback will be extremely helpful to readers planning a trip to Carmel Valley. Our guests often tell us how helpful it is to read reviews before their visit and you certainly provide a solid representation of the Bernardus experience.

We are very excited that you will be joining us again in the fall! We look forward to your return.

Reviewed February 12, 2021

Bernardus is the perfect place to de-stress and recharge your batteries. We have been there twice and were blown away by the setting, the food and the lovely staff. Their amenities and attention to detail makes you feel like you're at a good friend's home--not a hotel. It's just wonderful.

1  Thank mollym444

Dear Molly M,

Thank you so much for returning to Bernardus Lodge & Spa and for posting such a complimentary review. I am so glad you found your stay to be a relaxing escape. We strive to provide the amenities, service and hospitality that make it so hard to leave.
We hope to welcome you back for another getaway very soon.

Reviewed February 5, 2021

I drove down from the Bay Area because I wanted a quick getaway near the ocean and I couldn’t be happier with my stay here. Beautiful grounds, amazing drinks and the food was fantastic! The property is so spacious that I felt so comfortable despite the times we are in. The best part of this place was the amazing staff who are warm and welcoming. I typically like to stay closer to the water but will gladly drive the 15 mins to this incredible oasis in Carmel Valley. I can’t wait to go back and stay a few nights.

Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Sunsetlover127
Sean Damery, General Manager at Bernardus Lodge & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2021

Dear Leese,

Thank you for choosing Bernardus Lodge & Spa and for sharing this wonderful feedback. A rating of 5 is such a compliment, thank you so much! Our goal is accomplished when guests leave our resort with a positive experience and an undeniable lasting impression.

Thank you for recognizing our staff and the hospitality they provide. I am extremely proud of our service, culture, and warm hospitality. We hope it won’t be too long before you return.

Reviewed January 31, 2021 via mobile

I visit Bernardus every chance I get. This is the place I go to get away from the stress and craziness of my day-to-day. The surroundings are so elegant and the service is so attentive that I feel like a princess for the weekend. The food at the restaurant is top notch. The wines are delicious. The pool is heated to 85°. The spa, while pricey, is divine. Carmel is about 15 minutes away with amazing beaches, shopping and restaurants. Big Sur is an hour. For me arriving at Bernardus is like a welcome home.

Date of stay: January 2021
Trip type: Travelled solo
Sean Damery, General Manager at Bernardus Lodge & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2021

Dear lana2004,

I am so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us! Thank you so much for returning to Bernardus Lodge & Spa and for posting such a kind review. I am delighted that your stay was a comforting escape from your day-to-day life. Our goal is to have each of our guests depart relaxed and rejuvenated.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon and often.

Warm regards,

Reviewed December 29, 2020

We were warmly welcomed and had a comfortable and relaxing stay. Beautiful views of the mountains and great amenities. We loved the food and great service as well. Can’t wait to come back in the future.

Date of stay: December 2020
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Sean Damery, General Manager at Bernardus Lodge & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2021

Dear Laya A,

Thank you for choosing Bernardus Lodge and sharing your feedback. A rating of a 5 is such a great compliment. Glad to hear that you enjoyed your time with us where guests are able to relax, rejuvenate and breathe easy.

I hope your travels brings you back to Bernardus Lodge & spa soon.

Best regards,