Carpinteria State Beach Campground
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Carpinteria
See available hotels
  • Pool
Casa Del Sol Motel(Carpinteria)
Sandyland Reef Inn(Carpinteria)
Montecito Inn(Santa Barbara)
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
All reviewstar pitsgreat campgroundfull hookupsrv campingcarpinteria state beachwalking distancetidepoolsfreightgeneratorproximity
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 30 January 2012

I suppose if you're used to living on top of one another, this may not be such a bad place to "camp". Basically we found the place to be nothing more than a parking lot next to the beach. Most of the sites leave barely enough room to walk between your vehicles. We must have had at least 100 people cut through our site durning our one day stay. $35/night for a dry site is shameful for this place. Definitely won't go back. We will stick to the national forest campgrounds from now on. After seeing this place, maybe California does need to close some of its parks and rethink their efforts.

Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
7  Thank stuckinthecedar
Reviewed 19 January 2012

I'll keep it short. My husband and I arrived early in the afternoon for a simple one might stay. When we drive up to our site, we realized we were directly next to a large RV with a loud motor running. Our fire pit was less than 10 feet from theirs. Being January, there was hardly any other spot occupied in the campground. We asked if we could move even just one spot over to at least get somewhat of a nice quite camping feel. Nope, not even a chance. She just kept repeating herself in an extremely condescending way, "this is a site specific camp." I have camped many times befor and have never experienced this inflexibility and complete and utter disregard for someone's comfort. The only way we could switch would be to simply spend another $35 to reserve another spot. Being that we are both grad student barely struggling to get by and this was the first little getaway we had been able to do in quite some time, we decided not to give yet more money to this place. My husband and I ended up sleeping in the car and suffice it to say, we did not have the quick yet peaceful getaway we were hoping for. Thank you carpinteria for ruining what few days my husband and I get off from our jobs together once in a blue moon. Next time, I would budget and splurge on an actual hotel somewhere, or take a few days more off and drive to one of the much better campsites further up north. I mean, it's beach camping, I was not so nieve to expect a true camping experience, but what I did expect was to at least be treated as a person and not just a site number.

• Stayed: January 2012
7  Thank Aliswanson
Reviewed 12 January 2012

We go tent camping each year with a large group of families. We've stayed at beaches from San Diego to north of Santa Barbara, but we'd never tried Carpenteria before. It was OK for one experience, but no one wants to go back. I agree with an earlier reviewer who said it wasn't so much a campground as it was an all-night tailgate party. Spots are VERY small, there are tons of vehicles and tents are nearly on top of each other. Much of the campground is nothing more than a large parking lot. We had a group spot on the edge so at least we had some breathing room. We liked the short walk to the beach and we even took advantage of the close businesses and restaurants since we knew in advance they'd be a stone's throw away, but that's not the way we normally like to camp. If you like to have people in apartment buildings watching as you camp, this is the place for you. A note about the raccoons: yes, they will come out at night and steal what they can. We heard a tremendous noise one night and realized they were in the trees above us. They may have been fighting over some stolen food; it sounded quite vicious.

Room Tip: You can see how individual camp spots look by going to this site
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
7  Thank LaSerena
Reviewed 8 January 2012

This was our maiden voyage from San Diego with a recently purchased 27 foot travel trailer. We knew very little about the area other than it was 12 miles south of Santa Barbara on the beach. Descriptions of natural tar coming up from mother earth made us wonder if this was the right place for us. It was perfect!

We stayed a week right on the beach with lots to do. Wonderful bicycling and hiking paths in both Carpenteria and Santa Barbara. The best part for us was having beautiful nature all around and still being able to stroll into a quaint little beach town for dining, shopping, etc. We loved the state beach, the great support from the rangers, the very kind and courteous fellow campers, exploring Santa Barbara and the wineries of Santa Ynez and Solvang. We will be back!

• Stayed: January 2012
2  Thank Chris W
Reviewed 31 December 2011

This is the worst place ever and all because of the staff. They treat you like crap! I thought camping was supposed to be relaxing and enjoyable? If you want to go camping, do not stay here. Unless of course you like to be treated like crap!

• Stayed: December 2011