“Luv Luv Luv Carp! Fellow campers need manners...”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Carpinteria
Carpinteria State Beach Campground
Reviewed 8 April 2012

My family and I have been camping at Carp religiously for the last 7 years. You can't beat the location: steps to the beach, steps to town with restaurants, shops, and grocery stores. The camp hosts have been pretty good, and we love the rangers (know them all by first name now :) Yes, the raccoons can be nasty, but as long as you store your food inside and get rid of your trash, they'll move on...

We've tent camped, camped in a tent trailer, and now are camping in an RV, so we've been in all 4 loops. Santa Rosa loop is easily the most popular, because every site has full hook-ups. My only two complaints have nothing to do with the campground, and everything to do with fellow campers. ATTENTION CAMPERS! DO NOT WALK THRU OTHER PEOPLE'S CAMPSITES TO GET TO AND FROM THE BEACH! I can forgive the kids cuz they don't know better. But when you get adults who walk right thru your stuff, throw their trash in your trash can....Helloooooo? RUDE! There are designated beach accesses for everyone to use.....USE THEM! One more complaint: If you are scheduled to check out at noon, get your [--] out by noon. Can't stand the inconsiderate campers who decide to run into town for lunch or go for one last bike ride and leave the site occupied well past noon. Better yet, they know it takes them damn near 30 minutes to hook up their trailer to their truck, but they wait until Noon to start, and cause a HUGE backup for folks trying to get out on time, and people trying to get into their sites. RUDE RUDE RUDE! Your paid up till noon, now get out. Plan accordingly, people!

Carp is a magical place for families. Kids love it, the beach is safe, you can watch dolphins swim by. There is even a seal sanctuary just south of the campgrounds where you will see scads of baby seals in the springtime. The tidepools are fascinating at low tide.

So in agreement with other Carp lovers, for all you haters, PLEASE GO SOMEWHERE ELSE and leave Carp for those of us who cherish it!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
12  Thank funkymunky98

Reviewed 25 March 2012

Watch out for the wildlife! As a camper without a motorhome, I normally cook and eat happily outdoors using the supplied table. However, at this campground it is not really safe to cook or eat outdoors after dark. The raccoons will approach your table and, for lack of a better word, attack for your food. So get your cooking and eating done before dark, and move ALL your food and even your ice chest inside your vehicle. All garbage must be disposed of before dark, too.

Also, on my most recent visit I encountered trouble with the pay showers -- the water went completely ice cold after about three minutes and it was nothing to do with the large amount of money I put in. I did not feel that staff were particularly responsive.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank crankybanker
Reviewed 6 March 2012

Overall this beach was wonderful. I went for two nights for my birthday. Tent camping and RV sites are a small walk from the beach. Rangers were very nice and very lenient. Bathrooms were okay considering the the amount of people using them. Showers were alright, bring lots of quarters. Amtrack goes right through the campgrounds so that takes a little getting used to. Gorgeous sunsets! We saw dolphins and seals from the beach. Tar pits and tide pools were cool as well, got lots of great pictures. The town of Carpinteria is also very quant and cute, shops and food are a walk away. Overall a great place to take family & friends. I had a great time!

• Stayed: March 2012
4  Thank penguinb
Reviewed 11 February 2012

I'm afraid to let people know how great this place is....rules are rules and thats what you have at a state park, Rules. We have been going to carpinteria for years. Not only have we met nice people, we have never met unfriendly workers, even the police who drive through to check things out have been very nice. Is it Perfect, NO, and No place is. If carp. is so....bad, then why can't we get reserv. half the time. Always booked, although when we are there and comp. says booked, not always the case. Its the way the campsite is run, and that is by the state, so what does that tell you, so therefore rules are rule. If this camp ground was closed it would be a devasting to us beach lovers. This beach has all kinds of sea shells you can collect, when tide is low you can go out on the rocks and see all colors of star fish, you can sit on the beach and watch pods of dolphin go by. But yea, you haters stick to the forest! AND you can walk to town and browse, shop and eat at plenty of good rest.'s.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank mk t
Reviewed 30 January 2012

I suppose if you're used to living on top of one another, this may not be such a bad place to "camp". Basically we found the place to be nothing more than a parking lot next to the beach. Most of the sites leave barely enough room to walk between your vehicles. We must have had at least 100 people cut through our site durning our one day stay. $35/night for a dry site is shameful for this place. Definitely won't go back. We will stick to the national forest campgrounds from now on. After seeing this place, maybe California does need to close some of its parks and rethink their efforts.

Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
7  Thank stuckinthecedar
Reviewed 19 January 2012

I'll keep it short. My husband and I arrived early in the afternoon for a simple one might stay. When we drive up to our site, we realized we were directly next to a large RV with a loud motor running. Our fire pit was less than 10 feet from theirs. Being January, there was hardly any other spot occupied in the campground. We asked if we could move even just one spot over to at least get somewhat of a nice quite camping feel. Nope, not even a chance. She just kept repeating herself in an extremely condescending way, "this is a site specific camp." I have camped many times befor and have never experienced this inflexibility and complete and utter disregard for someone's comfort. The only way we could switch would be to simply spend another $35 to reserve another spot. Being that we are both grad student barely struggling to get by and this was the first little getaway we had been able to do in quite some time, we decided not to give yet more money to this place. My husband and I ended up sleeping in the car and suffice it to say, we did not have the quick yet peaceful getaway we were hoping for. Thank you carpinteria for ruining what few days my husband and I get off from our jobs together once in a blue moon. Next time, I would budget and splurge on an actual hotel somewhere, or take a few days more off and drive to one of the much better campsites further up north. I mean, it's beach camping, I was not so nieve to expect a true camping experience, but what I did expect was to at least be treated as a person and not just a site number.

• Stayed: January 2012
7  Thank Aliswanson
Reviewed 12 January 2012

We go tent camping each year with a large group of families. We've stayed at beaches from San Diego to north of Santa Barbara, but we'd never tried Carpenteria before. It was OK for one experience, but no one wants to go back. I agree with an earlier reviewer who said it wasn't so much a campground as it was an all-night tailgate party. Spots are VERY small, there are tons of vehicles and tents are nearly on top of each other. Much of the campground is nothing more than a large parking lot. We had a group spot on the edge so at least we had some breathing room. We liked the short walk to the beach and we even took advantage of the close businesses and restaurants since we knew in advance they'd be a stone's throw away, but that's not the way we normally like to camp. If you like to have people in apartment buildings watching as you camp, this is the place for you. A note about the raccoons: yes, they will come out at night and steal what they can. We heard a tremendous noise one night and realized they were in the trees above us. They may have been fighting over some stolen food; it sounded quite vicious.

Room Tip: You can see how individual camp spots look by going to this site