“Will never stay here again!”

Cloverdale Wine Country Inn & Suites
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Cloverdale
Fortuna, California
“Will never stay here again!”
Reviewed 21 August 2011

If you want a non-smoking room that reeks of cigarette smoke, then this "hotel" is for you! My family and I stayed here because our favorite motels in Santa Rosa were booked. We got to our non-smoking room and found that there was an ash tray with a pack of matches in it on the table. I was informed by the front desk person that yes this was a non-smoking room and that the ash tray was for people to put their spare change.(???) I was also informed that they have only two smoking rooms in the whole hotel and that there is really no reason to have smoking rooms anymore. Additionally there was 2 inches of dirty water in the bathtub, and hairs all over the throw pillows that were under the sleeping pillows on the bed. I personally did not want to put my head on pillows that are sitting on top of pillows that are not able to be cleaned. This hotel is NOT worth the money. The management does not care about customer service or cleanliness. If you want a nice clean motel in the Santa Rosa for a good price, I would recommend The Sandman. This is my first review on trip advisor.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
10 Thank an95540

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
san diego
Reviewed 27 July 2011

I like to stay at Best Westerns as there is usually a good value for the money spent. This was not the case.

First Non Smoking room the gave me smelled like a stale ashtray - and there were three of them in the room.

Second room wasn't smokey, but was generally dirty.

Continental breakfast was the type of thing you can fined in any gas station. And the coffee cups were 4 oz cups. I didn't know they made styrofoam cups that small.

Lobby was adjacent to the owner's living area - and smelled very bad.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank eddiepat62

Travellers are raving about these Cloverdale hotels

Redlands, California
Reviewed 3 July 2011

Okay, to be fair, what kind of room should one expect to find on a 4th of July weekend @ 10 pm on Saturday night with no reservation? Exactly! And that's what we got. What was so disappointing is that we had some really nice places at other Best Western's including Mammoth and Eureka, on this trip. Apparently there are discrepancies in quality control. The Cloverdale Best Western beds are lumpy and uncomfortable. They were parsimonious with towels and pillows. Only 3 pillows on the king bed, the other pillows were for decoration, the covers felt like sandpaper. The toilet paper was like newspaper. The air conditioner BLASTED on and off all night, waking me with a start each time. No way to regulate the level. At breakfast the next morning I observed the staff begrudgingly serving their guests, annoyed when someone would point out that there were no more breakfast bowls or the coffee was all gone. As we checked out, they were unable to provide us with a receipt because their machine was broken. Although they did manage to charge our credit card with no problem. All in all this was the worst Best Western I've experienced. It would be nice if the corporate office insisted on some quality standards.

• Stayed July 2011
5 Thank SaladAlexander
Blue Lake
Reviewed 16 May 2011

After traveling for over 24 hours, we were exhausted. We stopped in to get a good night sleep at the Best Western in Cloverdale, CA. Their fire alarm system failed at 3:45 AM and an ear splitting siren went off in all the rooms, sending guests outside to see what was going on. The fire department showed up and no one could figure out how to turn the loud alarms off. It took about 20 minutes for them to succeed. By that time, we were up, dressed and out the door to escape the noise. We stopped by the reception desk to ask for a refund. We were told by the attendant that she would have to talk to someone else. We called later in the day. No luck. We called again today and the manager said we should be happy that our lives could have been saved had there been a real fire. There was no fire. There was a malfunction that prevented us from getting the sleep we so badly needed. I would expect an immediate apology and refund. No such thing and I'm not only disappointed, but shocked!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Juicegal
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 20 March 2011

I'm currently suffering a back problem and didn't think I could drive another hour or two home. Always apprehensive about sleep quality of mattresses and quietness and all that, I took a chance. I was allowed to check in very early. I couldn't figure out how to make the heater work, the battery was going out in one of the smoke detectors, and I had various other little complaints in my aching grumpiness. The staff was immediate and really sincerely polite in helping.

The place is totally spotless and I was happy to find the small refrig. and microwave -- which meant I wouldn't have to go out to a restaurant that night. I'm sure my back couldn't take sitting on one more uncomfortable chair.

The mattress was SO comfortable!! (okay, some others have complained about lumpy pillows, but there were enough of them that I could make them work) The large, deep bathtub was a god-send to soak away my aches, so I left in the morning feeling pretty refreshed.

I will definitely stay there again!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank AriesX4
Eureka, California
Reviewed 9 June 2010

A loud party started in the room next to ours at 3 a.m. At 4 I called the desk. At 4:30 someone finally arrived to tell them stop. At 4:45 the party started again. I got no sleep. When I complained when I was checking out and asked for my money back because of my lack of sleep I was told I didn't have a complaint because I got to sleep until 3-and besides, they had to make money didn't they. We called Best Western customer service and were told nothing could be done. I will never stay at a Best Western again.

Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Eureka56
Sacramento, CA
Reviewed 9 November 2009

Standard Room rates at this Best Western are $100 to $110, a little on the high side, but understandable considering that you would have to drive to Santa Rosa, 30 miles south, to find other comparable accomodations. The rooms are larger than I expected at a Best Western, and appear to be very recently painted. The ground floor rooms are significanty cooler than the second floor rooms (no surprise there), so I recommend asking for a ground floor room; you might be able to get by with less running of the a/c. The a/c units are the standard motel type mounted below the window. The fan is loud, but no worse than average for this type. At least it worked well and cooled the room from 78º to 68º in less than 20 minutes. The room was quite comfortable and has most of the amenities I would ever need, including cable Internet (very nice, and much preferable to WiFi), a worktable actually big enough for two people to work on separate laptops if needed, Microwave oven, 2.5 cubic foot fridge, a bathtub instead of just a shower, a standard king size bed, hairdryer, clothes iron, etc. The decor of the room was kind of upscale, like a Ramada Inn.
Other reviews on this property commented on the phone message light flashing - they still haven't fixed this problem as of Nov. '09. I didn't use the pool as it is now late autumn and too cold for swimming, but it did look clean and well maintained. The breakfast is pretty simple: cereal, milk, hard boiled eggs, juice, coffee, and pre-packaged danish. It was ready by 5:45am, which was very nice, as we needed to hit the road early. Cloverdale is a very small town, and I don't think there is anywhere else to eat breakfast that early within walking distance, so the continental breakfast, while sparse, was better than nothing.
The manager seemd friendly and efficient on our check-in and check-out. I didn't have any problems with the room so didn't have to test management service under adverse conditions.
If you are traveling on business, with your company paying the tab, it's certainly an adequate motel. If your budget is a little tight, there are probably motels in Santa Rosa that run $20~$30 less.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cloverdale
1.4 km away
2.0 km away
Auberge on the Vineyard
Auberge on the Vineyard
#1 of 5 in Cloverdale

Been to Cloverdale Wine Country Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!