“A Must-Stay Destination - even with kids!”
Review of Hotel del Coronado

Hotel del Coronado
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Coronado
Reviewed 8 April 2012

We stayed here for several days last week with an 11, 12 and 15 yo. The hotel's rich history and spectacular setting make this destination worth the trip. The junior suite was exquisite - plenty of room for a family of 5. The town of Coronado is charming, and all walkable from the hotel. The beach is beautiful, the views are amazing. There were a couple of downsides, but they certainly didn't damper the fun -- The teen space needs a lot of work...a couple of games and two computers that weren't working; food is very, very pricey. A single serving of orange juice was about $6. A skinny margarita was about $15. If you just surrender to that at the beginning, then you can relax and enjoy.

Room Tip: We booked early and got a buy two nights, get the third night free. We also got $75 resort credit. T...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
BBrown3275, Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2012

We are thrilled that you and your family enjoyed your visit to The Del and appreciate the historic ambiance that makes the resort so special. We hope to become a tradition with your family and look forward to your return.

Write a ReviewReviews (5,487)

Reviewed 8 April 2012

There is something slightly awry at the del Coronado and I'm having a hard time putting my finger on it. Perhaps it is that every time I check into this hotel where I've stayed 2x a year for the las three years, they ask me for my email address. Maybe it's because the room I was checked into last summer had obviously been used (men's swim trunks in the tub) and yet the housekeeping folks kind of treated me like a criminal (for a hotel at this price point, I would have expected an amenity -- there's not really an excuse for a dirty room). It's certainly not the reservation or dining staff who are always very helpful nor is it the spa which remains one of my favorite hotel spas. It's just a little sense I have that corners are being cut. Now, for the positives -- there is an assortment of food at varying price points within the hotel grounds and it's a very short walk into town where one can find all sorts of food (pizza, Mexican, burgers). It's on Coronado Beach -- one of my favorite beaches in San Diego. The adults only pool is an oasis on a not summer day and the all comers pool, although a bit loud, is a great place to hang out if you have kids in tow. For me, the location and amenities still outweigh the negatives. I'll continue staying here when my travels bring me San Diego way. It's just not quite the del I fell in love with so many years ago.

Room Tip: Ocean or partial ocean view in the Beach Tower is the way to go. You won't have the noise of th...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends

Thank you for sharing your very valuable feedback regarding your latest stay with us. While we pride ourselves in offering exceptional service, it appears we have fallen short. To that end, we will be reviewing your comments with our management team so we may make the necessary improvements. We appreciate your loyalty and kind support and look forward to welcoming you back so we may deliver the outstanding service you deserve.

Reviewed 5 April 2012

The Hotel Del is a must stay at once in your life. It is an old hotel and shows its wear and tear, but the location and setting is like none other. You can't help but feel like you have been coming here for years and it gives you a sense of Americana and California that is hard to beat. The rooms are decent, views are great, food and service are good. It is located on the beach and in downtown Coronado which is filled with restaurants and shops. You may spot a Navy vessel perched off the coast during your stay.

Stayed: April 2012
3  Thank BillySOS

We are pleased that you enjoyed your spring vacation at The Del and appreciate your recognition of our wonderful staff. We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed 3 April 2012

We had such a great visit at the Hotel Del. We thoroughly enjoyed the pool, the beach, the breakfast buffet (!!!!!), and the evening smore's on the beach, walking to excellent and fresh mexi nearby. It was a great place to be, as well as a great home base for the SD kiddo sights (Legoland, SeaWorld, SD Zoo, etc).

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Bhdavison

Thank you for your positive review and we are pleased that you and your family had the opportunity to experience all that The Del and San Diego have to offer. We hope to become a family tradition and look forward to your return.

Reviewed 1 April 2012

I recently attended a conference at the Hotel del Coronado and was introduced to a new level in business accommodations. My room was exceptionally large and all the furnishings appeared brand new. The bathroom was also quite large with a double sink and a wonderful marble-tiled shower. The off-white room colors with the touches of blue, green, and yellow were striking in their simplicity and gave the surroundings an inescapable sense of class. My accommodations also included a lovely private patio that was screened in with many flowering plants. The maid service was superb. After hurrying to a morning meeting and leaving the room in tremendous disarray with an ironing board, bed linens, etc, strewn about the room, I returned a few hours later to discover the room in pristine shape.

The Hotel del Coronado also provided all but one of my meals during this trip. I ate at the Sheerwater Restaurant and Babcock & Story Lounge. The food was delicious in both and the service was impeccable. One of my business associates had numerous dietary restrictions and the staff was very sensitive to their needs. I was greatly impressed with the care that was shown to ensure that this individual was satisfied with their dining experiences. The hotel also catered all our business breakfasts and lunches. The food was well beyond the typical conference fare and included many fresh fruits, vegetables, and seafood that were a welcome site to winter-weary mid-westerners. It was simply delightful to sample so many examples of the famous California cuisine.

Even though this was a business trip, my experience at the Del was the best vacation I have ever had. I felt pampered and indulged the entire time. Despite being on my own, I also could not help but think this was the most romantic hotel I had ever stayed at.

Room Tip: California Cabana rooms are large enough for families. The cabana patios are secluded and quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank deborahdetrick

Thank you for your enthusiastic endorsement and we are pleased that you enjoyed your visit to The Del. As we are always striving to provide legendary service, we appreciate the recognition of our wonderful staff. We hope you have the opportunity to return for a vacation and look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 1 April 2012

I had high hopes for the Del based on things I had heard prior to my trip. My hopes were quickly dashed. I stayed at the Del because I was attending a meeting at the site, but if I had to do it all over again, I likely would have stayed somewhere else. While I understand the Del is rich in history, it was massively frustrating as a guest to be constantly overrun by tourists touring the hotel when you're just trying to get to your hotel room. As if it couldn't get worse, my room was directly next to the loading area, so I was awakened at the crack of dawn daily by trucks backing up and delivering their goods.
The room was subpar at best, and considering the expense of staying there, I was a bit disappointed. The saving grace was that the staff was friendly and professional. If I visit Coronado again, I will not be staying at the Del.

Room Tip: Be sure to request a room away from the loading dock if you like to sleep!
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Val_K7878

Thank you for sharing your comments and we appreciate the recognition of our wonderful staff. We apologize for some of the service issues you encountered and will be reviewing your feedback with the appropriate managers. Thanks again.

Reviewed 30 March 2012

We recently spent 2 nights at the Del. The hotel has a rich history and has been around for ages. unfortunately it looks like the rooms haven't been refreshed since the hotel was built. Having spent $500 a night I don't expect to be standing in a tiny bath with an old green curtain shower curtain.. The service is also missing those little touches that make a hotel memorable - turn down, friendly concierge etc.

The location on Coronado is magical, pity the hotel doesn't match. Having to pay $26 per day for self park is also ridiculous.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Warren M

We appreciate your feedback and apologize that aspects of your stay did not meet your expectations. We hope you will return and consider staying in one of the newly renovated Victorian rooms or the luxury cottages or villas at Beach Village.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Coronado
Hotel Marisol Coronado
Pacific Beach
Pacific Terrace Hotel
Pacific Terrace Hotel
#6 of 286 in San Diego

Been to Hotel del Coronado? Share your experiences!